Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Increasing/maintaining attendance ideas?

  • Marc Hartstein
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
      On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
      > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays

      Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're replying to.
      After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they went
      into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium games
      to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing to do
      with that personal preference, and everything to do with alienating the
      gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
      customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming switch
      days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.

      You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped out
      the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
      space...you should have it in your logs)

      Marc

      > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
      > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
      > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
      > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
      > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
      > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
      > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
      > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
      > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
      > > local customers in the long run.
      > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
      > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
      > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

    • Chris Almy
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
        My original intent was using Thursdays to lead into my point. In my
        last sentence though I must have had that night stuck in my head and
        should have suggested simply "another night" instead of stating
        Thursdays again. Initially I suggested it as a preference, but at
        the end it could be read as me suggesting it on behalf of everyone.
        I think Doug's reply pointed this out the best.

        I just worry that if the UG calendar shows boardgames at Pandemonium
        every Wednesday night then any new UG members will go a game store
        rather than someones apartment (I would if I were new). PSG seems to
        also rely on increasing/maintaining attendence through new people
        that learn of it from the UG list so that could hurt it in the long
        run. I'm probably just being paranoid though. o_O

        -Chris

        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hartstein
        <marc.hartstein@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
        > > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean
        Thursdays

        > Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're
        replying to.
        > After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they
        went
        > into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium
        games
        > to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing
        to do
        > with that personal preference, and everything to do with
        alienating the
        > gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
        > customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming
        switch
        > days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.
        >
        > You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped
        out
        > the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
        > space...you should have it in your logs)
        >
        > Marc
        >
        > > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@>
        wrote:
        > > > [...]
        > > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to
        every
        > > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established
        Cambridge
        > > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a
        book
        > > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my
        grasp.
        > > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers
        > > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
        > > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to
        take
        > > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the
        host
        > > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply
        alienating
        > > > local customers in the long run.
        > > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in
        turn
        > > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to
        Thursday
        > > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

      • Doug Orleans
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
          Marc Hartstein writes:
          > What day of the week was that?

          I think Mostly Looney Game Night was on Wednesdays (once a month), but
          I don't remember for sure. It was a few years ago. We tried moving
          to Danger Planet, but then interest kind of dried up.

          There was also a more general game group, SNOB (Slightly North of
          Boston) at the old YMG location (on Mondays, I believe?), but I don't
          think that ever even tried to move to the new store. It had already
          pretty much fizzled out by then.

          --dougorleans@...
        • Carol
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
            Chris, I understand your concern. I would not have set up this game
            night if I had thought it would cause any trouble in the Cambridge game
            community--I am a relative newcomer to Euro gaming and only want to
            enhance, not disrupt, opportunities for gaming. I hope you and Felix
            (who came to our second session and seemed fine with it) will let me
            and/or the Unity community in general know if there are any actual
            deleterious effects to the Porter Sq group.

            Tyler is supportive of the Euro game genre getting more exposure AND
            very sensitive to not stepping on toes (Danger Planet being an example--
            I don't understand that non-competition concern either but maybe he's
            friends with those guys. Game store owners are a pretty small
            community). Already Tyler has said that if there are any Euro players
            at the traditional board game night, he will definitely steer them to
            come to the Euro game night. (Besides, if a Euro gamer even sees a
            Monopoly board isn't that like a cross to a vampire? I doubt they will
            want to regularly attend a night with a choice of Taboo, cribbage, and
            backgammon).
            Quite frankly it's in his interest to attract more players to the Euro
            games night because he sells more Euro games than traditional ones.
          • Chris Almy
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
              Just for the record. I have no idea what Felix thinks about any of
              this. I'm a free agent. So if I've somehow annoyed anyone please
              don't hold it against him.

              -Chris

              PS: I like cribbage and backgammon. :-)

              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...>

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                I've been wanting to learn cribbage actually. I keep seeing those
                boards everywhere and a friend of mine finds it addictive.
                I should have said actually that a Euro gamer would not want to attend
                ONLY the traditional games night if he/she found out that there was
                also a specific Euro night.
              • Felix Rodriguez
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                  So.. I've decided that in order to compete with Pandemonium, I'm going
                  to replace my entire games collection with Monopoly and Apples to
                  Apples. I'll add Flux only if Looney Games Night reopens on a Wednesday.
                  Buahahaa!

                  Anyway in all seriousness I should give my opinion given the comments:

                  I'm a big fan of both B.B.G.G. and Pandemonium - the cover a day that
                  I'm simply unable to host and gives people a choice to play more
                  frequently or at a schedule that may be more convenient to them. I've
                  always tried to advertise BBGG in the past (especially on those weeks
                  when I have to cancel due to other commitments) - and I plan on doing
                  the same with Pandemonium.

                  I obviously prefer it if there are no conflicts. Because I think that's
                  better for the gaming community as a whole. There are a large number of
                  weekdays that don't have their own open game nights (or the game nights
                  are too far for us Cantabridgians). And there are a large number of
                  people who want to game but can't make it to my Wednesday nights. Thus
                  the community gains more if the nights are spread around.

                  For the record, while I have seen a significant drop in attendance when
                  I shifted my game nights to weekly, I see no such drop when someone
                  opens a separate Wednesday night on the off week. (I've had over 15
                  people the last two game nights). This tells me that more people are
                  gaming and that is a good thing. For this same reason, I suspect that if
                  Pandemonium went weekly their attendance would be hurt more than mine.

                  Felix