Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Increasing/maintaining attendance ideas?

  • Marc Hartstein
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
      On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
      > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays

      Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're replying to.
      After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they went
      into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium games
      to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing to do
      with that personal preference, and everything to do with alienating the
      gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
      customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming switch
      days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.

      You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped out
      the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
      space...you should have it in your logs)

      Marc

      > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
      > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
      > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
      > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
      > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
      > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
      > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
      > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
      > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
      > > local customers in the long run.
      > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
      > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
      > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

    • Marc Hartstein
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
        On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:12:05AM -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
        > Carol writes:
        > > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
        > > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
        > > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
        > > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
        > > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
        > > bring brownies!
        >
        > We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
        > new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
        > table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
        > cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
        > above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
        > I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
        > don't really want to be the one to organize it.

        What day of the week was that? I tried going in on a Monday for their
        PotSM day. They had two tables of Jyhad or whatever they're calling
        that Vampire CCG now and one table of PotSM going. That means there
        would have been 3 tables free plus one in the other room for gamers to
        play.

        If somebody wants to try to organize something, the best bet would be to
        check the schedule for CCGs with lower interest, then talk to the Your
        Move people about getting the game night on the schedule. (If you're on
        the schedule I'm told you have priority over the tables)

        Here's a copy of their current schedule.
        (http://www.yourmovegames.com/storeinfosomerville.shtml) I'd venture a
        guess that Monday nights (when they only fill about half the tables),
        Wednesday nights, or Saturday nights are going to be the best bet. (I
        figure if WarMachine has 12 hours they might be willing to give us a few
        tables for part of that time)

        MONDAY
        Vampire CCG - 6:00pm
        Pirates of the Spanish Main - 6:30pm
        TUESDAY
        Magic Draft - 6:00pm
        WEDNESDAY
        Vs. Draft - 6:30pm
        THURSDAY
        Magic Draft - 6:00pm
        FRIDAY
        Friday Night Magic - 6:00pm
        SATURDAY
        WarMachine - noon
        SUNDAY
        Shadowfist - 6:00pm
        Warhammer 40,000 - noon

      • Chris Almy
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
          My original intent was using Thursdays to lead into my point. In my
          last sentence though I must have had that night stuck in my head and
          should have suggested simply "another night" instead of stating
          Thursdays again. Initially I suggested it as a preference, but at
          the end it could be read as me suggesting it on behalf of everyone.
          I think Doug's reply pointed this out the best.

          I just worry that if the UG calendar shows boardgames at Pandemonium
          every Wednesday night then any new UG members will go a game store
          rather than someones apartment (I would if I were new). PSG seems to
          also rely on increasing/maintaining attendence through new people
          that learn of it from the UG list so that could hurt it in the long
          run. I'm probably just being paranoid though. o_O

          -Chris

          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hartstein
          <marc.hartstein@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
          > > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean
          Thursdays

          > Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're
          replying to.
          > After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they
          went
          > into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium
          games
          > to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing
          to do
          > with that personal preference, and everything to do with
          alienating the
          > gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
          > customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming
          switch
          > days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.
          >
          > You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped
          out
          > the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
          > space...you should have it in your logs)
          >
          > Marc
          >
          > > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@>
          wrote:
          > > > [...]
          > > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to
          every
          > > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established
          Cambridge
          > > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a
          book
          > > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my
          grasp.
          > > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers
          > > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
          > > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to
          take
          > > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the
          host
          > > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply
          alienating
          > > > local customers in the long run.
          > > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in
          turn
          > > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to
          Thursday
          > > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

        • Doug Orleans
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
            Marc Hartstein writes:
            > What day of the week was that?

            I think Mostly Looney Game Night was on Wednesdays (once a month), but
            I don't remember for sure. It was a few years ago. We tried moving
            to Danger Planet, but then interest kind of dried up.

            There was also a more general game group, SNOB (Slightly North of
            Boston) at the old YMG location (on Mondays, I believe?), but I don't
            think that ever even tried to move to the new store. It had already
            pretty much fizzled out by then.

            --dougorleans@...
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
              Chris, I understand your concern. I would not have set up this game
              night if I had thought it would cause any trouble in the Cambridge game
              community--I am a relative newcomer to Euro gaming and only want to
              enhance, not disrupt, opportunities for gaming. I hope you and Felix
              (who came to our second session and seemed fine with it) will let me
              and/or the Unity community in general know if there are any actual
              deleterious effects to the Porter Sq group.

              Tyler is supportive of the Euro game genre getting more exposure AND
              very sensitive to not stepping on toes (Danger Planet being an example--
              I don't understand that non-competition concern either but maybe he's
              friends with those guys. Game store owners are a pretty small
              community). Already Tyler has said that if there are any Euro players
              at the traditional board game night, he will definitely steer them to
              come to the Euro game night. (Besides, if a Euro gamer even sees a
              Monopoly board isn't that like a cross to a vampire? I doubt they will
              want to regularly attend a night with a choice of Taboo, cribbage, and
              backgammon).
              Quite frankly it's in his interest to attract more players to the Euro
              games night because he sells more Euro games than traditional ones.
            • Chris Almy
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                Just for the record. I have no idea what Felix thinks about any of
                this. I'm a free agent. So if I've somehow annoyed anyone please
                don't hold it against him.

                -Chris

                PS: I like cribbage and backgammon. :-)

                --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...>

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                  I've been wanting to learn cribbage actually. I keep seeing those
                  boards everywhere and a friend of mine finds it addictive.
                  I should have said actually that a Euro gamer would not want to attend
                  ONLY the traditional games night if he/she found out that there was
                  also a specific Euro night.
                • Felix Rodriguez
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                    So.. I've decided that in order to compete with Pandemonium, I'm going
                    to replace my entire games collection with Monopoly and Apples to
                    Apples. I'll add Flux only if Looney Games Night reopens on a Wednesday.
                    Buahahaa!

                    Anyway in all seriousness I should give my opinion given the comments:

                    I'm a big fan of both B.B.G.G. and Pandemonium - the cover a day that
                    I'm simply unable to host and gives people a choice to play more
                    frequently or at a schedule that may be more convenient to them. I've
                    always tried to advertise BBGG in the past (especially on those weeks
                    when I have to cancel due to other commitments) - and I plan on doing
                    the same with Pandemonium.

                    I obviously prefer it if there are no conflicts. Because I think that's
                    better for the gaming community as a whole. There are a large number of
                    weekdays that don't have their own open game nights (or the game nights
                    are too far for us Cantabridgians). And there are a large number of
                    people who want to game but can't make it to my Wednesday nights. Thus
                    the community gains more if the nights are spread around.

                    For the record, while I have seen a significant drop in attendance when
                    I shifted my game nights to weekly, I see no such drop when someone
                    opens a separate Wednesday night on the off week. (I've had over 15
                    people the last two game nights). This tells me that more people are
                    gaming and that is a good thing. For this same reason, I suspect that if
                    Pandemonium went weekly their attendance would be hurt more than mine.

                    Felix