Re: Increasing/maintaining attendance ideas?

  • Constantine
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
      So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays
      suck for me, so why shouldn't he take that into consideration.
      Tuesdays are also bad for me. And I don't like to go out when the moon
      is full so that rules those nights out...

      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:

      > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
      > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
      > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
      > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
      > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
      > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
      > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
      > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
      > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
      > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
      > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
      > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
      > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
      > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
      > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
      > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
      > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
      > local customers in the long run.
      > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
      > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
      > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.
      >
      > -Chris
      >

      > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
      > > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
      > doing
      > > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
      > know
      > > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
      > > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
      > > Email or call Tyler for info.

    • Marc Hartstein
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
        On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
        > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays

        Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're replying to.
        After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they went
        into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium games
        to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing to do
        with that personal preference, and everything to do with alienating the
        gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
        customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming switch
        days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.

        You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped out
        the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
        space...you should have it in your logs)

        Marc

        > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
        > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
        > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
        > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
        > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
        > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
        > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
        > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
        > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
        > > local customers in the long run.
        > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
        > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
        > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
          Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
          Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's Porter
          Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared those
          Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
          like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not going
          to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
          the basement anyway).

          As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a day
          that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
          horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
          Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
          Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or Wendy's
          within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
          pizza.

          BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
          only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
          According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
          want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
          if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
          bring brownies!
        • Chris Almy
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
            No it shouldn't go by my schedule unless I'm hosting it. I was using
            Thursdays as an example to help make my point (which apparently didn't
            get through). That being that I don't think it should be every
            Wednesday because there are other nights when it wouldn't be competing
            with another local game night.

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
              I guess my post was not really needed if they already have
              boardgames every Wednesday. Thank you for replying and clearing this
              up.

              And thank you for setting up the game night in the first place. I
              haven't been going to it, but people like you don't get thanked
              enough for doing stuff like this. :-)

              -Chris

              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...>
              wrote:

              > Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
              > Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's
              Porter
              > Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared
              those
              > Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
              > like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not
              going
              > to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
              > the basement anyway).
              >
              > As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a
              day
              > that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
              > horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
              > Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
              > Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or
              Wendy's
              > within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
              > pizza.
              >
              > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
              > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
              > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
              > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it!
              And
              > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I
              will
              > bring brownies!

            • Doug Orleans
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                Carol writes:
                > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                > bring brownies!

                We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                --dougorleans@...
              • Marc Hartstein
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                  On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:12:05AM -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
                  > Carol writes:
                  > > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                  > > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                  > > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                  > > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                  > > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                  > > bring brownies!
                  >
                  > We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                  > new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                  > table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                  > cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                  > above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                  > I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                  > don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                  What day of the week was that? I tried going in on a Monday for their
                  PotSM day. They had two tables of Jyhad or whatever they're calling
                  that Vampire CCG now and one table of PotSM going. That means there
                  would have been 3 tables free plus one in the other room for gamers to
                  play.

                  If somebody wants to try to organize something, the best bet would be to
                  check the schedule for CCGs with lower interest, then talk to the Your
                  Move people about getting the game night on the schedule. (If you're on
                  the schedule I'm told you have priority over the tables)

                  Here's a copy of their current schedule.
                  (http://www.yourmovegames.com/storeinfosomerville.shtml) I'd venture a
                  guess that Monday nights (when they only fill about half the tables),
                  Wednesday nights, or Saturday nights are going to be the best bet. (I
                  figure if WarMachine has 12 hours they might be willing to give us a few
                  tables for part of that time)

                  MONDAY
                  Vampire CCG - 6:00pm
                  Pirates of the Spanish Main - 6:30pm
                  TUESDAY
                  Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                  WEDNESDAY
                  Vs. Draft - 6:30pm
                  THURSDAY
                  Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                  FRIDAY
                  Friday Night Magic - 6:00pm
                  SATURDAY
                  WarMachine - noon
                  SUNDAY
                  Shadowfist - 6:00pm
                  Warhammer 40,000 - noon

                • Chris Almy
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                    My original intent was using Thursdays to lead into my point. In my
                    last sentence though I must have had that night stuck in my head and
                    should have suggested simply "another night" instead of stating
                    Thursdays again. Initially I suggested it as a preference, but at
                    the end it could be read as me suggesting it on behalf of everyone.
                    I think Doug's reply pointed this out the best.

                    I just worry that if the UG calendar shows boardgames at Pandemonium
                    every Wednesday night then any new UG members will go a game store
                    rather than someones apartment (I would if I were new). PSG seems to
                    also rely on increasing/maintaining attendence through new people
                    that learn of it from the UG list so that could hurt it in the long
                    run. I'm probably just being paranoid though. o_O

                    -Chris

                    --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hartstein

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Marc Hartstein writes:
                      > What day of the week was that?

                      I think Mostly Looney Game Night was on Wednesdays (once a month), but
                      I don't remember for sure. It was a few years ago. We tried moving
                      to Danger Planet, but then interest kind of dried up.

                      There was also a more general game group, SNOB (Slightly North of
                      Boston) at the old YMG location (on Mondays, I believe?), but I don't
                      think that ever even tried to move to the new store. It had already
                      pretty much fizzled out by then.

                      --dougorleans@...
                    • Carol
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Chris, I understand your concern. I would not have set up this game
                        night if I had thought it would cause any trouble in the Cambridge game
                        community--I am a relative newcomer to Euro gaming and only want to
                        enhance, not disrupt, opportunities for gaming. I hope you and Felix
                        (who came to our second session and seemed fine with it) will let me
                        and/or the Unity community in general know if there are any actual
                        deleterious effects to the Porter Sq group.

                        Tyler is supportive of the Euro game genre getting more exposure AND
                        very sensitive to not stepping on toes (Danger Planet being an example--
                        I don't understand that non-competition concern either but maybe he's
                        friends with those guys. Game store owners are a pretty small
                        community). Already Tyler has said that if there are any Euro players
                        at the traditional board game night, he will definitely steer them to
                        come to the Euro game night. (Besides, if a Euro gamer even sees a
                        Monopoly board isn't that like a cross to a vampire? I doubt they will
                        want to regularly attend a night with a choice of Taboo, cribbage, and
                        backgammon).
                        Quite frankly it's in his interest to attract more players to the Euro
                        games night because he sells more Euro games than traditional ones.
                      • Chris Almy
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                          Just for the record. I have no idea what Felix thinks about any of
                          this. I'm a free agent. So if I've somehow annoyed anyone please
                          don't hold it against him.

                          -Chris

                          PS: I like cribbage and backgammon. :-)

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                            I've been wanting to learn cribbage actually. I keep seeing those
                            boards everywhere and a friend of mine finds it addictive.
                            I should have said actually that a Euro gamer would not want to attend
                            ONLY the traditional games night if he/she found out that there was
                            also a specific Euro night.
                          • Felix Rodriguez
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                              So.. I've decided that in order to compete with Pandemonium, I'm going
                              to replace my entire games collection with Monopoly and Apples to
                              Apples. I'll add Flux only if Looney Games Night reopens on a Wednesday.
                              Buahahaa!

                              Anyway in all seriousness I should give my opinion given the comments:

                              I'm a big fan of both B.B.G.G. and Pandemonium - the cover a day that
                              I'm simply unable to host and gives people a choice to play more
                              frequently or at a schedule that may be more convenient to them. I've
                              always tried to advertise BBGG in the past (especially on those weeks
                              when I have to cancel due to other commitments) - and I plan on doing
                              the same with Pandemonium.

                              I obviously prefer it if there are no conflicts. Because I think that's
                              better for the gaming community as a whole. There are a large number of
                              weekdays that don't have their own open game nights (or the game nights
                              are too far for us Cantabridgians). And there are a large number of
                              people who want to game but can't make it to my Wednesday nights. Thus
                              the community gains more if the nights are spread around.

                              For the record, while I have seen a significant drop in attendance when
                              I shifted my game nights to weekly, I see no such drop when someone
                              opens a separate Wednesday night on the off week. (I've had over 15
                              people the last two game nights). This tells me that more people are
                              gaming and that is a good thing. For this same reason, I suspect that if
                              Pandemonium went weekly their attendance would be hurt more than mine.

                              Felix