Re: Increasing/maintaining attendance ideas?

  • Chris Almy
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
      I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
      that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
      been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
      Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
      someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
      for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
      leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
      every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
      Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
      Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
      game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
      or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
      However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
      another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
      Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
      attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
      has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
      local customers in the long run.
      I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
      support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
      nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

      -Chris

      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@...>
      wrote:

      > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
      > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
      doing
      > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
      know
      > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
      > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
      > Email or call Tyler for info.

    • Doug Orleans
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
        Chris Almy writes:
        > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
        > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
        > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
        > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
        > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
        > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
        > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
        > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.

        Well, if we're voting, I'd really prefer Mondays.

        --dougorleans@...
      • Constantine
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
          So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays
          suck for me, so why shouldn't he take that into consideration.
          Tuesdays are also bad for me. And I don't like to go out when the moon
          is full so that rules those nights out...

          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:

          > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
          > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
          > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
          > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
          > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
          > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
          > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
          > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
          > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
          > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
          > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
          > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
          > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
          > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
          > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
          > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
          > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
          > local customers in the long run.
          > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
          > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
          > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.
          >
          > -Chris
          >

          > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
          > > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
          > doing
          > > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
          > know
          > > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
          > > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
          > > Email or call Tyler for info.

        • Marc Hartstein
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
            On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
            > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays

            Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're replying to.
            After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they went
            into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium games
            to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing to do
            with that personal preference, and everything to do with alienating the
            gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
            customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming switch
            days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.

            You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped out
            the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
            space...you should have it in your logs)

            Marc

            > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:
            > > [...]
            > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
            > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
            > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
            > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
            > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
            > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
            > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
            > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
            > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
            > > local customers in the long run.
            > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
            > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
            > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
              Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
              Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's Porter
              Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared those
              Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
              like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not going
              to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
              the basement anyway).

              As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a day
              that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
              horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
              Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
              Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or Wendy's
              within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
              pizza.

              BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
              only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
              According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
              want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
              if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
              bring brownies!
            • Chris Almy
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                No it shouldn't go by my schedule unless I'm hosting it. I was using
                Thursdays as an example to help make my point (which apparently didn't
                get through). That being that I don't think it should be every
                Wednesday because there are other nights when it wouldn't be competing
                with another local game night.

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                  I guess my post was not really needed if they already have
                  boardgames every Wednesday. Thank you for replying and clearing this
                  up.

                  And thank you for setting up the game night in the first place. I
                  haven't been going to it, but people like you don't get thanked
                  enough for doing stuff like this. :-)

                  -Chris

                  --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
                  > Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's
                  Porter
                  > Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared
                  those
                  > Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
                  > like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not
                  going
                  > to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
                  > the basement anyway).
                  >
                  > As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a
                  day
                  > that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
                  > horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
                  > Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
                  > Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or
                  Wendy's
                  > within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
                  > pizza.
                  >
                  > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                  > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                  > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                  > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it!
                  And
                  > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I
                  will
                  > bring brownies!

                • Doug Orleans
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Carol writes:
                    > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                    > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                    > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                    > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                    > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                    > bring brownies!

                    We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                    new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                    table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                    cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                    above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                    I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                    don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                    --dougorleans@...
                  • Marc Hartstein
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                      On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:12:05AM -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
                      > Carol writes:
                      > > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                      > > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                      > > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                      > > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                      > > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                      > > bring brownies!
                      >
                      > We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                      > new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                      > table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                      > cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                      > above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                      > I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                      > don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                      What day of the week was that? I tried going in on a Monday for their
                      PotSM day. They had two tables of Jyhad or whatever they're calling
                      that Vampire CCG now and one table of PotSM going. That means there
                      would have been 3 tables free plus one in the other room for gamers to
                      play.

                      If somebody wants to try to organize something, the best bet would be to
                      check the schedule for CCGs with lower interest, then talk to the Your
                      Move people about getting the game night on the schedule. (If you're on
                      the schedule I'm told you have priority over the tables)

                      Here's a copy of their current schedule.
                      (http://www.yourmovegames.com/storeinfosomerville.shtml) I'd venture a
                      guess that Monday nights (when they only fill about half the tables),
                      Wednesday nights, or Saturday nights are going to be the best bet. (I
                      figure if WarMachine has 12 hours they might be willing to give us a few
                      tables for part of that time)

                      MONDAY
                      Vampire CCG - 6:00pm
                      Pirates of the Spanish Main - 6:30pm
                      TUESDAY
                      Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                      WEDNESDAY
                      Vs. Draft - 6:30pm
                      THURSDAY
                      Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                      FRIDAY
                      Friday Night Magic - 6:00pm
                      SATURDAY
                      WarMachine - noon
                      SUNDAY
                      Shadowfist - 6:00pm
                      Warhammer 40,000 - noon

                    • Chris Almy
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                        My original intent was using Thursdays to lead into my point. In my
                        last sentence though I must have had that night stuck in my head and
                        should have suggested simply "another night" instead of stating
                        Thursdays again. Initially I suggested it as a preference, but at
                        the end it could be read as me suggesting it on behalf of everyone.
                        I think Doug's reply pointed this out the best.

                        I just worry that if the UG calendar shows boardgames at Pandemonium
                        every Wednesday night then any new UG members will go a game store
                        rather than someones apartment (I would if I were new). PSG seems to
                        also rely on increasing/maintaining attendence through new people
                        that learn of it from the UG list so that could hurt it in the long
                        run. I'm probably just being paranoid though. o_O

                        -Chris

                        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hartstein

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                          Marc Hartstein writes:
                          > What day of the week was that?

                          I think Mostly Looney Game Night was on Wednesdays (once a month), but
                          I don't remember for sure. It was a few years ago. We tried moving
                          to Danger Planet, but then interest kind of dried up.

                          There was also a more general game group, SNOB (Slightly North of
                          Boston) at the old YMG location (on Mondays, I believe?), but I don't
                          think that ever even tried to move to the new store. It had already
                          pretty much fizzled out by then.

                          --dougorleans@...
                        • Carol
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                            Chris, I understand your concern. I would not have set up this game
                            night if I had thought it would cause any trouble in the Cambridge game
                            community--I am a relative newcomer to Euro gaming and only want to
                            enhance, not disrupt, opportunities for gaming. I hope you and Felix
                            (who came to our second session and seemed fine with it) will let me
                            and/or the Unity community in general know if there are any actual
                            deleterious effects to the Porter Sq group.

                            Tyler is supportive of the Euro game genre getting more exposure AND
                            very sensitive to not stepping on toes (Danger Planet being an example--
                            I don't understand that non-competition concern either but maybe he's
                            friends with those guys. Game store owners are a pretty small
                            community). Already Tyler has said that if there are any Euro players
                            at the traditional board game night, he will definitely steer them to
                            come to the Euro game night. (Besides, if a Euro gamer even sees a
                            Monopoly board isn't that like a cross to a vampire? I doubt they will
                            want to regularly attend a night with a choice of Taboo, cribbage, and
                            backgammon).
                            Quite frankly it's in his interest to attract more players to the Euro
                            games night because he sells more Euro games than traditional ones.
                          • Chris Almy
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                              Just for the record. I have no idea what Felix thinks about any of
                              this. I'm a free agent. So if I've somehow annoyed anyone please
                              don't hold it against him.

                              -Chris

                              PS: I like cribbage and backgammon. :-)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                I've been wanting to learn cribbage actually. I keep seeing those
                                boards everywhere and a friend of mine finds it addictive.
                                I should have said actually that a Euro gamer would not want to attend
                                ONLY the traditional games night if he/she found out that there was
                                also a specific Euro night.
                              • Felix Rodriguez
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  So.. I've decided that in order to compete with Pandemonium, I'm going
                                  to replace my entire games collection with Monopoly and Apples to
                                  Apples. I'll add Flux only if Looney Games Night reopens on a Wednesday.
                                  Buahahaa!

                                  Anyway in all seriousness I should give my opinion given the comments:

                                  I'm a big fan of both B.B.G.G. and Pandemonium - the cover a day that
                                  I'm simply unable to host and gives people a choice to play more
                                  frequently or at a schedule that may be more convenient to them. I've
                                  always tried to advertise BBGG in the past (especially on those weeks
                                  when I have to cancel due to other commitments) - and I plan on doing
                                  the same with Pandemonium.

                                  I obviously prefer it if there are no conflicts. Because I think that's
                                  better for the gaming community as a whole. There are a large number of
                                  weekdays that don't have their own open game nights (or the game nights
                                  are too far for us Cantabridgians). And there are a large number of
                                  people who want to game but can't make it to my Wednesday nights. Thus
                                  the community gains more if the nights are spread around.

                                  For the record, while I have seen a significant drop in attendance when
                                  I shifted my game nights to weekly, I see no such drop when someone
                                  opens a separate Wednesday night on the off week. (I've had over 15
                                  people the last two game nights). This tells me that more people are
                                  gaming and that is a good thing. For this same reason, I suspect that if
                                  Pandemonium went weekly their attendance would be hurt more than mine.

                                  Felix