Re: [Unity_Games] Increasing/maintaining attendance ideas?

  • Sooz
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
      I run a monthly board game night in Allston and I think that something
      that helps is that it's in a bar/restaurant so there's food and
      beverages plus the games. I haven't been to your Pandemonium game
      nights but is there anything set up for refreshments? If you want to
      cross-promote our game nights, I'd be happy to help. We usually have
      50-70 people at the Exploit Boston Game Night in Allston. I also think
      that having a host/greeter is helpful.

      Our next game night is this Tuesday, October 3rd. It starts at 7pm and
      we are usually there until 11pm. It's 21+ and there's no admission
      charge but everyone is asked to purchase a few beverages and/or food.
      The location is the Common Ground, a restaurant/bar at 85 Harvard
      Avenue in Allston.

      More info:
      http://www.exploitboston.com/archives/2006/10/
      exploit_boston_game_night_on_tuesday_october_3rd.php
      http://upcoming.org/event/106454/
      http://heyletsgo.com/event-82828
      http://boston.craigslist.org/eve/214865899.html

      In November we're relocating to Soul Fire, a new BBQ restaurant in
      Allston (also on Harvard Ave.) We'll have the entire restaurant with
      more tables. It's also all-ages which will be nice to have again.
      People usually eat dinner and then play games so there's not much worry
      about getting BBQ all over the games. Though there will be plenty of
      the oh-so-handy wetnaps on hand.

      Cheers,

      Sooz

      On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:06 PM, Carol wrote:

      > I guess this is kind of ironic for me to post since I have to miss so
      > many sessions myself, but I would like to make sure that Pandemonium
      > Wednesdays keeps up in numbers of players attending, (especially now
      > that the new season of LOST is starting next week and not everyone has
      > Tivo)!
      > So far there have been as many as 14-15 and as few as 8 at the ones
      > I've been to, which is perfectly decent, but I just want to make sure
      > the regulars are happy and that we can get a regular influx of
      > newbies.
      >
      > Anyone have any ideas for getting new players? The store promotes it
      > on
      > their web site and in flyers in-store. We have a reminder set up here.
      > I mention it on my BGG profile.
      > I was thinking of the following:
      > Ad on craigslist?
      > Search Myspace for anyone listing board games as an interest who is in
      > the area?
      > Casting a spell on and/or adding feel-good substances to my brownies?
      >
      > Also, just to jump in and thank Doug, who is awesome in buying games
      > from Pandemonium...The players that do come regularly can show their
      > support by purchasing games, books or even sodas from them, and doing
      > so also gets you credit toward future purchases when you join the
      > buyers club.
    • W. Eric Martin
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
        Carol wrote:

        > I guess this is kind of ironic for me to post since I have to miss so
        > many sessions myself, but I would like to make sure that Pandemonium
        > Wednesdays keeps up in numbers of players attending, (especially now
        > that the new season of LOST is starting next week and not everyone has
        > Tivo)!

        Lost is available through iTunes for $1.99 per episode, so there's no
        need to miss game night for a television show. That's how I keep
        up-to-date with my secret shame, Project Runway.

        > So far there have been as many as 14-15 and as few as 8 at the ones
        > I've been to, which is perfectly decent, but I just want to make sure
        > the regulars are happy and that we can get a regular influx of newbies.
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas for getting new players?

        I've had a decent amount of success on craiglist after posting a few
        notices in the "activities" section. A half-dozen or so contacts, and
        two folks have shown up with more promising to do so in the weeks ahead.

        Eric

        --
        W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
        "It is still fashionable to believe that how you organize yourself
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
          I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
          happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be doing
          the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do know
          Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
          Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
          Email or call Tyler for info.
        • Felix Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
            It might be different for you, but its been my experience that having a
            game night every week significantly reduces your numbers.

            Felix

            Constantine wrote:

            > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
            > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be doing
            > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do know
            > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
            > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
            > Email or call Tyler for info.

          • Chris Almy
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
              I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
              that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
              been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
              Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
              someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
              for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
              leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
              every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
              Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
              Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
              game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
              or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
              However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
              another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
              Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
              attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
              has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
              local customers in the long run.
              I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
              support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
              nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

              -Chris

              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@...>
              wrote:

              > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
              > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
              doing
              > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
              know
              > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
              > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
              > Email or call Tyler for info.

            • Doug Orleans
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                Chris Almy writes:
                > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
                > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
                > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
                > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
                > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
                > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
                > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
                > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.

                Well, if we're voting, I'd really prefer Mondays.

                --dougorleans@...
              • Constantine
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                  So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays
                  suck for me, so why shouldn't he take that into consideration.
                  Tuesdays are also bad for me. And I don't like to go out when the moon
                  is full so that rules those nights out...

                  --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:

                  > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
                  > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
                  > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
                  > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
                  > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
                  > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
                  > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
                  > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
                  > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
                  > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
                  > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
                  > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
                  > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
                  > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
                  > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
                  > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
                  > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
                  > local customers in the long run.
                  > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
                  > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
                  > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.
                  >
                  > -Chris
                  >

                  > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
                  > > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
                  > doing
                  > > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
                  > know
                  > > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
                  > > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
                  > > Email or call Tyler for info.

                • Marc Hartstein
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                    On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
                    > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays

                    Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're replying to.
                    After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they went
                    into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium games
                    to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing to do
                    with that personal preference, and everything to do with alienating the
                    gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
                    customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming switch
                    days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.

                    You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped out
                    the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
                    space...you should have it in your logs)

                    Marc

                    > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:
                    > > [...]
                    > > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
                    > > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
                    > > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
                    > > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
                    > > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
                    > > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
                    > > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
                    > > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
                    > > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
                    > > local customers in the long run.
                    > > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
                    > > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
                    > > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

                  • Carol
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                      Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
                      Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's Porter
                      Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared those
                      Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
                      like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not going
                      to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
                      the basement anyway).

                      As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a day
                      that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
                      horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
                      Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
                      Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or Wendy's
                      within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
                      pizza.

                      BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                      only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                      According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                      want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                      if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                      bring brownies!
                    • Chris Almy
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                        No it shouldn't go by my schedule unless I'm hosting it. I was using
                        Thursdays as an example to help make my point (which apparently didn't
                        get through). That being that I don't think it should be every
                        Wednesday because there are other nights when it wouldn't be competing
                        with another local game night.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                          I guess my post was not really needed if they already have
                          boardgames every Wednesday. Thank you for replying and clearing this
                          up.

                          And thank you for setting up the game night in the first place. I
                          haven't been going to it, but people like you don't get thanked
                          enough for doing stuff like this. :-)

                          -Chris

                          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
                          > Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's
                          Porter
                          > Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared
                          those
                          > Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
                          > like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not
                          going
                          > to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
                          > the basement anyway).
                          >
                          > As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a
                          day
                          > that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
                          > horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
                          > Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
                          > Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or
                          Wendy's
                          > within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
                          > pizza.
                          >
                          > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                          > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                          > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                          > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it!
                          And
                          > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I
                          will
                          > bring brownies!

                        • Doug Orleans
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                            Carol writes:
                            > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                            > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                            > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                            > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                            > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                            > bring brownies!

                            We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                            new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                            table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                            cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                            above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                            I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                            don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                            --dougorleans@...
                          • Marc Hartstein
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                              On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:12:05AM -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
                              > Carol writes:
                              > > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                              > > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                              > > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                              > > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                              > > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                              > > bring brownies!
                              >
                              > We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                              > new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                              > table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                              > cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                              > above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                              > I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                              > don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                              What day of the week was that? I tried going in on a Monday for their
                              PotSM day. They had two tables of Jyhad or whatever they're calling
                              that Vampire CCG now and one table of PotSM going. That means there
                              would have been 3 tables free plus one in the other room for gamers to
                              play.

                              If somebody wants to try to organize something, the best bet would be to
                              check the schedule for CCGs with lower interest, then talk to the Your
                              Move people about getting the game night on the schedule. (If you're on
                              the schedule I'm told you have priority over the tables)

                              Here's a copy of their current schedule.
                              (http://www.yourmovegames.com/storeinfosomerville.shtml) I'd venture a
                              guess that Monday nights (when they only fill about half the tables),
                              Wednesday nights, or Saturday nights are going to be the best bet. (I
                              figure if WarMachine has 12 hours they might be willing to give us a few
                              tables for part of that time)

                              MONDAY
                              Vampire CCG - 6:00pm
                              Pirates of the Spanish Main - 6:30pm
                              TUESDAY
                              Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                              WEDNESDAY
                              Vs. Draft - 6:30pm
                              THURSDAY
                              Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                              FRIDAY
                              Friday Night Magic - 6:00pm
                              SATURDAY
                              WarMachine - noon
                              SUNDAY
                              Shadowfist - 6:00pm
                              Warhammer 40,000 - noon

                            • Chris Almy
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                My original intent was using Thursdays to lead into my point. In my
                                last sentence though I must have had that night stuck in my head and
                                should have suggested simply "another night" instead of stating
                                Thursdays again. Initially I suggested it as a preference, but at
                                the end it could be read as me suggesting it on behalf of everyone.
                                I think Doug's reply pointed this out the best.

                                I just worry that if the UG calendar shows boardgames at Pandemonium
                                every Wednesday night then any new UG members will go a game store
                                rather than someones apartment (I would if I were new). PSG seems to
                                also rely on increasing/maintaining attendence through new people
                                that learn of it from the UG list so that could hurt it in the long
                                run. I'm probably just being paranoid though. o_O

                                -Chris

                                --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hartstein

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  Marc Hartstein writes:
                                  > What day of the week was that?

                                  I think Mostly Looney Game Night was on Wednesdays (once a month), but
                                  I don't remember for sure. It was a few years ago. We tried moving
                                  to Danger Planet, but then interest kind of dried up.

                                  There was also a more general game group, SNOB (Slightly North of
                                  Boston) at the old YMG location (on Mondays, I believe?), but I don't
                                  think that ever even tried to move to the new store. It had already
                                  pretty much fizzled out by then.

                                  --dougorleans@...
                                • Carol
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                    Chris, I understand your concern. I would not have set up this game
                                    night if I had thought it would cause any trouble in the Cambridge game
                                    community--I am a relative newcomer to Euro gaming and only want to
                                    enhance, not disrupt, opportunities for gaming. I hope you and Felix
                                    (who came to our second session and seemed fine with it) will let me
                                    and/or the Unity community in general know if there are any actual
                                    deleterious effects to the Porter Sq group.

                                    Tyler is supportive of the Euro game genre getting more exposure AND
                                    very sensitive to not stepping on toes (Danger Planet being an example--
                                    I don't understand that non-competition concern either but maybe he's
                                    friends with those guys. Game store owners are a pretty small
                                    community). Already Tyler has said that if there are any Euro players
                                    at the traditional board game night, he will definitely steer them to
                                    come to the Euro game night. (Besides, if a Euro gamer even sees a
                                    Monopoly board isn't that like a cross to a vampire? I doubt they will
                                    want to regularly attend a night with a choice of Taboo, cribbage, and
                                    backgammon).
                                    Quite frankly it's in his interest to attract more players to the Euro
                                    games night because he sells more Euro games than traditional ones.
                                  • Chris Almy
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                      Just for the record. I have no idea what Felix thinks about any of
                                      this. I'm a free agent. So if I've somehow annoyed anyone please
                                      don't hold it against him.

                                      -Chris

                                      PS: I like cribbage and backgammon. :-)

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                        I've been wanting to learn cribbage actually. I keep seeing those
                                        boards everywhere and a friend of mine finds it addictive.
                                        I should have said actually that a Euro gamer would not want to attend
                                        ONLY the traditional games night if he/she found out that there was
                                        also a specific Euro night.
                                      • Felix Rodriguez
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                          So.. I've decided that in order to compete with Pandemonium, I'm going
                                          to replace my entire games collection with Monopoly and Apples to
                                          Apples. I'll add Flux only if Looney Games Night reopens on a Wednesday.
                                          Buahahaa!

                                          Anyway in all seriousness I should give my opinion given the comments:

                                          I'm a big fan of both B.B.G.G. and Pandemonium - the cover a day that
                                          I'm simply unable to host and gives people a choice to play more
                                          frequently or at a schedule that may be more convenient to them. I've
                                          always tried to advertise BBGG in the past (especially on those weeks
                                          when I have to cancel due to other commitments) - and I plan on doing
                                          the same with Pandemonium.

                                          I obviously prefer it if there are no conflicts. Because I think that's
                                          better for the gaming community as a whole. There are a large number of
                                          weekdays that don't have their own open game nights (or the game nights
                                          are too far for us Cantabridgians). And there are a large number of
                                          people who want to game but can't make it to my Wednesday nights. Thus
                                          the community gains more if the nights are spread around.

                                          For the record, while I have seen a significant drop in attendance when
                                          I shifted my game nights to weekly, I see no such drop when someone
                                          opens a separate Wednesday night on the off week. (I've had over 15
                                          people the last two game nights). This tells me that more people are
                                          gaming and that is a good thing. For this same reason, I suspect that if
                                          Pandemonium went weekly their attendance would be hurt more than mine.

                                          Felix