Increasing/maintaining attendance ideas?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
      I guess this is kind of ironic for me to post since I have to miss so
      many sessions myself, but I would like to make sure that Pandemonium
      Wednesdays keeps up in numbers of players attending, (especially now
      that the new season of LOST is starting next week and not everyone has
      Tivo)!
      So far there have been as many as 14-15 and as few as 8 at the ones
      I've been to, which is perfectly decent, but I just want to make sure
      the regulars are happy and that we can get a regular influx of newbies.

      Anyone have any ideas for getting new players? The store promotes it on
      their web site and in flyers in-store. We have a reminder set up here.
      I mention it on my BGG profile.
      I was thinking of the following:
      Ad on craigslist?
      Search Myspace for anyone listing board games as an interest who is in
      the area?
      Casting a spell on and/or adding feel-good substances to my brownies?

      Also, just to jump in and thank Doug, who is awesome in buying games
      from Pandemonium...The players that do come regularly can show their
      support by purchasing games, books or even sodas from them, and doing
      so also gets you credit toward future purchases when you join the
      buyers club.
    • Stephen Maywalt
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
        Good points Carol.

        I started attending Pandemonium because Back Bay Gaming dwindled to a
        critical level and was running on life support. The last few times it was me
        and barely anyone else. All they had to buy at B Good were tasty burgers, no
        addictive euro games or fantasy novels. So I agree we all should be buying
        from one of the few brick and mortar game sellers who has been gracious
        enough to lend us ample playing space.

        As far as recruiting new gamers goes I also would note that I started
        attending Unity Games events and local groups quite randomly. I heard about
        Unity Games through the Boston Globe's forums where people were talking
        about board games they like to play. Someone mentioned the Unity Games group
        and the events they coordinate. I recognized the games as those quirky euro
        games I play all the time with family and figured it would be great to play
        with some new people. So spreading the word in as many random places as
        possible couldn't hurt. Who knows where some lonely isolated would be gamer
        might be surfing on the net.

        I like your posting suggestions and would add that College is back in
        session and a lot of students might be interested so putting the word out to
        as many local colleges as possible might help.

        Stephen

        P.S. I have DVR so I can get my gaming in as well as LOST, sweet!

        On 10/1/06, Carol <starspangledgirl@...> wrote:

        > I guess this is kind of ironic for me to post since I have to miss so
        > many sessions myself, but I would like to make sure that Pandemonium
        > Wednesdays keeps up in numbers of players attending, (especially now
        > that the new season of LOST is starting next week and not everyone has
        > Tivo)!
        > So far there have been as many as 14-15 and as few as 8 at the ones
        > I've been to, which is perfectly decent, but I just want to make sure
        > the regulars are happy and that we can get a regular influx of newbies.
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas for getting new players? The store promotes it on
        > their web site and in flyers in-store. We have a reminder set up here.
        > I mention it on my BGG profile.
        > I was thinking of the following:
        > Ad on craigslist?
        > Search Myspace for anyone listing board games as an interest who is in
        > the area?
        > Casting a spell on and/or adding feel-good substances to my brownies?
        >
        > Also, just to jump in and thank Doug, who is awesome in buying games
        > from Pandemonium...The players that do come regularly can show their
        > support by purchasing games, books or even sodas from them, and doing
        > so also gets you credit toward future purchases when you join the
        > buyers club.

      • Sooz
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
          I run a monthly board game night in Allston and I think that something
          that helps is that it's in a bar/restaurant so there's food and
          beverages plus the games. I haven't been to your Pandemonium game
          nights but is there anything set up for refreshments? If you want to
          cross-promote our game nights, I'd be happy to help. We usually have
          50-70 people at the Exploit Boston Game Night in Allston. I also think
          that having a host/greeter is helpful.

          Our next game night is this Tuesday, October 3rd. It starts at 7pm and
          we are usually there until 11pm. It's 21+ and there's no admission
          charge but everyone is asked to purchase a few beverages and/or food.
          The location is the Common Ground, a restaurant/bar at 85 Harvard
          Avenue in Allston.

          More info:
          http://www.exploitboston.com/archives/2006/10/
          exploit_boston_game_night_on_tuesday_october_3rd.php
          http://upcoming.org/event/106454/
          http://heyletsgo.com/event-82828
          http://boston.craigslist.org/eve/214865899.html

          In November we're relocating to Soul Fire, a new BBQ restaurant in
          Allston (also on Harvard Ave.) We'll have the entire restaurant with
          more tables. It's also all-ages which will be nice to have again.
          People usually eat dinner and then play games so there's not much worry
          about getting BBQ all over the games. Though there will be plenty of
          the oh-so-handy wetnaps on hand.

          Cheers,

          Sooz

          On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:06 PM, Carol wrote:

          > I guess this is kind of ironic for me to post since I have to miss so
          > many sessions myself, but I would like to make sure that Pandemonium
          > Wednesdays keeps up in numbers of players attending, (especially now
          > that the new season of LOST is starting next week and not everyone has
          > Tivo)!
          > So far there have been as many as 14-15 and as few as 8 at the ones
          > I've been to, which is perfectly decent, but I just want to make sure
          > the regulars are happy and that we can get a regular influx of
          > newbies.
          >
          > Anyone have any ideas for getting new players? The store promotes it
          > on
          > their web site and in flyers in-store. We have a reminder set up here.
          > I mention it on my BGG profile.
          > I was thinking of the following:
          > Ad on craigslist?
          > Search Myspace for anyone listing board games as an interest who is in
          > the area?
          > Casting a spell on and/or adding feel-good substances to my brownies?
          >
          > Also, just to jump in and thank Doug, who is awesome in buying games
          > from Pandemonium...The players that do come regularly can show their
          > support by purchasing games, books or even sodas from them, and doing
          > so also gets you credit toward future purchases when you join the
          > buyers club.
        • W. Eric Martin
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
            Carol wrote:

            > I guess this is kind of ironic for me to post since I have to miss so
            > many sessions myself, but I would like to make sure that Pandemonium
            > Wednesdays keeps up in numbers of players attending, (especially now
            > that the new season of LOST is starting next week and not everyone has
            > Tivo)!

            Lost is available through iTunes for $1.99 per episode, so there's no
            need to miss game night for a television show. That's how I keep
            up-to-date with my secret shame, Project Runway.

            > So far there have been as many as 14-15 and as few as 8 at the ones
            > I've been to, which is perfectly decent, but I just want to make sure
            > the regulars are happy and that we can get a regular influx of newbies.
            >
            > Anyone have any ideas for getting new players?

            I've had a decent amount of success on craiglist after posting a few
            notices in the "activities" section. A half-dozen or so contacts, and
            two folks have shown up with more promising to do so in the weeks ahead.

            Eric

            --
            W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
            "It is still fashionable to believe that how you organize yourself
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
              I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
              happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be doing
              the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do know
              Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
              Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
              Email or call Tyler for info.
            • Felix Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                It might be different for you, but its been my experience that having a
                game night every week significantly reduces your numbers.

                Felix

                Constantine wrote:

                > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
                > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be doing
                > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do know
                > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
                > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
                > Email or call Tyler for info.

              • Chris Almy
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                  I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
                  that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
                  been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
                  Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
                  someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
                  for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
                  leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
                  every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
                  Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
                  Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
                  game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
                  or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
                  However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
                  another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
                  Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
                  attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
                  has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
                  local customers in the long run.
                  I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
                  support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
                  nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.

                  -Chris

                  --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
                  > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
                  doing
                  > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
                  know
                  > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
                  > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
                  > Email or call Tyler for info.

                • Doug Orleans
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                    Chris Almy writes:
                    > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
                    > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
                    > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
                    > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
                    > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
                    > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
                    > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
                    > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.

                    Well, if we're voting, I'd really prefer Mondays.

                    --dougorleans@...
                  • Constantine
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                      So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays
                      suck for me, so why shouldn't he take that into consideration.
                      Tuesdays are also bad for me. And I don't like to go out when the moon
                      is full so that rules those nights out...

                      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Almy" <chrisalmy@...> wrote:

                      > I feel a need to respond to this suggestion. First I want to say
                      > that as a personal preference I really hoped this game night had
                      > been on Thursdays. From what I recall Thursdays were shot down by
                      > Tyler because he didn't want to compete with Danger Planet. As
                      > someone who lives in Cambridge the trip to DP is kinda out of my way
                      > for a weeknight. The bus ride alone is over a half hour and it
                      > leaves from Central Sq no less. Whereas I'd probably have gone to
                      > every Thursday game night at Pandemonium.
                      > Why am I bringing this up? Because IF Pandemonium switches to every
                      > Wednesday night they will be competing with an established Cambridge
                      > game group (Porter Square Gaming). Admittedly I've never run a book
                      > or game store so these sorts of decisions may be beyond my grasp.
                      > However it seems to me that if you're sending local customers to
                      > another store on one night (DP probably doesn't send people to
                      > Pandemonium in return) just so you can turn around and try to take
                      > attendence away from a local group on another night (where the host
                      > has in fact supported yours) then you may end up simply alienating
                      > local customers in the long run.
                      > I'll ask that Pandemonium support the local gamers (who in turn
                      > support the "friendly" local game store) by switching to Thursday
                      > nights IF they're going to start doing this every week.
                      >
                      > -Chris
                      >

                      > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I think one thing that might help is to have the Pandemonium thing
                      > > happen every week instead of every other week. I was going to be
                      > doing
                      > > the off weeks but family obligations made that impossible. I do
                      > know
                      > > Tyler is looking for an Iron Gamer to do this. One big plus as the
                      > > Iron Gamer for board games is you get a discount on all purchases.
                      > > Email or call Tyler for info.

                    • Marc Hartstein
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                        On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:35:54PM -0000, Constantine wrote:
                        > So it should be the planned around your schedule? I mean Thursdays

                        Oh, come on. Chris was perfectly clear in the post you're replying to.
                        After briefly mentioning a personal preference for Thursdays, they went
                        into some detail about how it would be a bad idea for Pandemonium games
                        to go to every week on Wednesdays. The reasons given have nothing to do
                        with that personal preference, and everything to do with alienating the
                        gaming community by conflicting with a local event run by loyal
                        customers. They further only requested that Pandemonium gaming switch
                        days of the week *if* it's going to switch to every week.

                        You can see all of that yourself in the quote below (I've clipped out
                        the portion about the personal preference for Thursdays to save
                        space...you should have it in your logs)

                        Marc

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
                          Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's Porter
                          Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared those
                          Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
                          like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not going
                          to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
                          the basement anyway).

                          As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a day
                          that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
                          horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
                          Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
                          Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or Wendy's
                          within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
                          pizza.

                          BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                          only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                          According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                          want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                          if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                          bring brownies!
                        • Chris Almy
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                            No it shouldn't go by my schedule unless I'm hosting it. I was using
                            Thursdays as an example to help make my point (which apparently didn't
                            get through). That being that I don't think it should be every
                            Wednesday because there are other nights when it wouldn't be competing
                            with another local game night.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                              I guess my post was not really needed if they already have
                              boardgames every Wednesday. Thank you for replying and clearing this
                              up.

                              And thank you for setting up the game night in the first place. I
                              haven't been going to it, but people like you don't get thanked
                              enough for doing stuff like this. :-)

                              -Chris

                              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Thanks to everyone for suggestions. OK, first, Euro games at
                              > Pandemonium will NOT be every week. Not only is there Felix's
                              Porter
                              > Sq game on the OTHER Wednesdays, Pandemonium also has declared
                              those
                              > Wednesdays "Board Game Night." This is for more traditional games
                              > like Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc. although the owner is not
                              going
                              > to defenestrate anyone who brings a Euro game (well, no windows in
                              > the basement anyway).
                              >
                              > As for it being Wednesdays, well, there is always going to be a
                              day
                              > that is no good for people. If it turns out that Weds are totally
                              > horrible, then I guess it can be moved to another night other than
                              > Thursday. As for the food issue, the store's location in Central
                              > Square makes it pretty easy to get Middle Eastern, Mexican or
                              Wendy's
                              > within a minute walk and there wouldn't be a problem in ordering a
                              > pizza.
                              >
                              > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                              > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                              > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                              > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it!
                              And
                              > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I
                              will
                              > bring brownies!

                            • Doug Orleans
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                Carol writes:
                                > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                                > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                                > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                                > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                                > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                                > bring brownies!

                                We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                                new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                                table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                                cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                                above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                                I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                                don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                                --dougorleans@...
                              • Marc Hartstein
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:12:05AM -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
                                  > Carol writes:
                                  > > BTW, I was in the Your Move game store in Davis Sq last week. Not
                                  > > only do they sell Euro games but they have lots of gaming tables!
                                  > > According to their website, gaming space is free. So you guys that
                                  > > want a Monday or Thursday or whatever, should ask them about it! And
                                  > > if you make it a Saturday afternoon, that would be awesome and I will
                                  > > bring brownies!
                                  >
                                  > We tried moving the monthly Mostly Looney Game Night to Your Move's
                                  > new location when they moved, but we could never get more than one
                                  > table-- they were always filled with CCG players. It's really pretty
                                  > cramped in their game room, especially compared with their old space
                                  > above the Chinese restaurant. But maybe it's less crowded these days?
                                  > I would love for there to be a game night in Davis Square again, but I
                                  > don't really want to be the one to organize it.

                                  What day of the week was that? I tried going in on a Monday for their
                                  PotSM day. They had two tables of Jyhad or whatever they're calling
                                  that Vampire CCG now and one table of PotSM going. That means there
                                  would have been 3 tables free plus one in the other room for gamers to
                                  play.

                                  If somebody wants to try to organize something, the best bet would be to
                                  check the schedule for CCGs with lower interest, then talk to the Your
                                  Move people about getting the game night on the schedule. (If you're on
                                  the schedule I'm told you have priority over the tables)

                                  Here's a copy of their current schedule.
                                  (http://www.yourmovegames.com/storeinfosomerville.shtml) I'd venture a
                                  guess that Monday nights (when they only fill about half the tables),
                                  Wednesday nights, or Saturday nights are going to be the best bet. (I
                                  figure if WarMachine has 12 hours they might be willing to give us a few
                                  tables for part of that time)

                                  MONDAY
                                  Vampire CCG - 6:00pm
                                  Pirates of the Spanish Main - 6:30pm
                                  TUESDAY
                                  Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                                  WEDNESDAY
                                  Vs. Draft - 6:30pm
                                  THURSDAY
                                  Magic Draft - 6:00pm
                                  FRIDAY
                                  Friday Night Magic - 6:00pm
                                  SATURDAY
                                  WarMachine - noon
                                  SUNDAY
                                  Shadowfist - 6:00pm
                                  Warhammer 40,000 - noon

                                • Chris Almy
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                    My original intent was using Thursdays to lead into my point. In my
                                    last sentence though I must have had that night stuck in my head and
                                    should have suggested simply "another night" instead of stating
                                    Thursdays again. Initially I suggested it as a preference, but at
                                    the end it could be read as me suggesting it on behalf of everyone.
                                    I think Doug's reply pointed this out the best.

                                    I just worry that if the UG calendar shows boardgames at Pandemonium
                                    every Wednesday night then any new UG members will go a game store
                                    rather than someones apartment (I would if I were new). PSG seems to
                                    also rely on increasing/maintaining attendence through new people
                                    that learn of it from the UG list so that could hurt it in the long
                                    run. I'm probably just being paranoid though. o_O

                                    -Chris

                                    --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hartstein

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                      Marc Hartstein writes:
                                      > What day of the week was that?

                                      I think Mostly Looney Game Night was on Wednesdays (once a month), but
                                      I don't remember for sure. It was a few years ago. We tried moving
                                      to Danger Planet, but then interest kind of dried up.

                                      There was also a more general game group, SNOB (Slightly North of
                                      Boston) at the old YMG location (on Mondays, I believe?), but I don't
                                      think that ever even tried to move to the new store. It had already
                                      pretty much fizzled out by then.

                                      --dougorleans@...
                                    • Carol
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                        Chris, I understand your concern. I would not have set up this game
                                        night if I had thought it would cause any trouble in the Cambridge game
                                        community--I am a relative newcomer to Euro gaming and only want to
                                        enhance, not disrupt, opportunities for gaming. I hope you and Felix
                                        (who came to our second session and seemed fine with it) will let me
                                        and/or the Unity community in general know if there are any actual
                                        deleterious effects to the Porter Sq group.

                                        Tyler is supportive of the Euro game genre getting more exposure AND
                                        very sensitive to not stepping on toes (Danger Planet being an example--
                                        I don't understand that non-competition concern either but maybe he's
                                        friends with those guys. Game store owners are a pretty small
                                        community). Already Tyler has said that if there are any Euro players
                                        at the traditional board game night, he will definitely steer them to
                                        come to the Euro game night. (Besides, if a Euro gamer even sees a
                                        Monopoly board isn't that like a cross to a vampire? I doubt they will
                                        want to regularly attend a night with a choice of Taboo, cribbage, and
                                        backgammon).
                                        Quite frankly it's in his interest to attract more players to the Euro
                                        games night because he sells more Euro games than traditional ones.
                                      • Chris Almy
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                          Just for the record. I have no idea what Felix thinks about any of
                                          this. I'm a free agent. So if I've somehow annoyed anyone please
                                          don't hold it against him.

                                          -Chris

                                          PS: I like cribbage and backgammon. :-)

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                            I've been wanting to learn cribbage actually. I keep seeing those
                                            boards everywhere and a friend of mine finds it addictive.
                                            I should have said actually that a Euro gamer would not want to attend
                                            ONLY the traditional games night if he/she found out that there was
                                            also a specific Euro night.
                                          • Felix Rodriguez
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                                              So.. I've decided that in order to compete with Pandemonium, I'm going
                                              to replace my entire games collection with Monopoly and Apples to
                                              Apples. I'll add Flux only if Looney Games Night reopens on a Wednesday.
                                              Buahahaa!

                                              Anyway in all seriousness I should give my opinion given the comments:

                                              I'm a big fan of both B.B.G.G. and Pandemonium - the cover a day that
                                              I'm simply unable to host and gives people a choice to play more
                                              frequently or at a schedule that may be more convenient to them. I've
                                              always tried to advertise BBGG in the past (especially on those weeks
                                              when I have to cancel due to other commitments) - and I plan on doing
                                              the same with Pandemonium.

                                              I obviously prefer it if there are no conflicts. Because I think that's
                                              better for the gaming community as a whole. There are a large number of
                                              weekdays that don't have their own open game nights (or the game nights
                                              are too far for us Cantabridgians). And there are a large number of
                                              people who want to game but can't make it to my Wednesday nights. Thus
                                              the community gains more if the nights are spread around.

                                              For the record, while I have seen a significant drop in attendance when
                                              I shifted my game nights to weekly, I see no such drop when someone
                                              opens a separate Wednesday night on the off week. (I've had over 15
                                              people the last two game nights). This tells me that more people are
                                              gaming and that is a good thing. For this same reason, I suspect that if
                                              Pandemonium went weekly their attendance would be hurt more than mine.

                                              Felix