[GR] Killer Bunnies: Stainless Steel Expansion

  • Tom Vasel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      Killer Bunnies: and the Quest of the Magic Carrot is a game that
      people either seem to love or dislike. Fortunately, I really enjoy
      the game and have a group of folk (primarily teenagers) who are
      constantly clamoring to play it. Thus, when I got the first seven
      expansions, I was happy to play with them but was a little unsure of
      how to integrate them. So we added one deck and played, then played
      again, then added another deck and repeated. After dozens of plays, I
      now think that I can safely talk about each of the decks, and how they
      add to the gameplay. There are a couple of things common to each
      deck:

      - First of all, if you hate Killer Bunnies, none of the expansions are
      likely to change your mind. More randomness is added, more powerful
      cards are included, more of the "silly" theme is promoted - stuff that
      fans of the game love, but detractors certainly do not.
      - Each expansion comes in a small box that is sturdy and easily holds
      the cards; but all of which I discarded, as the first seven expansions
      all fit comfortably in the box.
      - Some expansions are more interesting than others (I would rate them
      Orange, Pink, Red, Steel, Purple, White, and Green - in that order),
      but I really did enjoy them all.
      - Expansions really should be added in order. You might get away with
      adding a future expansion (such as Twilight White) to your blue and
      yellow cards, but you'll run into "holes", and some of the cards
      simply won't make sense.
      - It's fascinating how the designer had the larger picture in mind,
      and how they referenced future cards in each of the decks. With all
      seven expansions (I know that two more are still coming) it feels like
      a nearly complete game rather than some expansions that are tacked on.

      Now for some specific comments on the Stainless Steel Booster Deck
      (Playroom Entertainment, 2005 - Jeffrey Neil Bellinger):

      1.) Super Bunnies! Five new bunnies are added, one each of the five
      main colors and types. These rabbits, which sadly are not available
      to be purchased in the pawn shop, automatically allow a player to play
      two cards per turn and use the twenty-sided die to defend against ALL
      weapons. More deadly, however, is the fact that when these bunnies
      are placed, they eliminate all regular bunnies that are the same color
      (or half color). When you get one of these bunnies in your hand,
      rejoice; for they are powerful indeed. However, at the same time,
      I've never seen any other bunnies in the game subjected to the raging
      attacks that immediately fly against these bunnies. They're great to
      have, but you won't have 'em long.

      2.) New cabbage, water, and defense cards are included with the
      expansion. Of special note are the 1/2 cabbage and 1/2 water card.
      Yes, there is one card in the game (M.R.E.) that makes these cards
      semi-useful, but for the most part they're useless and only good for a
      laugh. The defense cards, on the other hand, go all the way up to
      twenty and help deflect the powerful weapons that have been included
      in the last expansions (including this one).

      3.) A few new twenty-sided die weapons are included in the set (with
      the humorously named Sharks WFLB). The set also includes new, dated
      weapons. The weapons attacks with the power of the current date.
      Players must roll the twelve and twenty-sided die and add them
      together, exceeding the date to survive. Having played this game in
      the latter portion of the month, I've found that these weapons can be
      extremely deadly. The Hostile Pentecostal (although the picture looks
      awfully like a nun with Nazis behind her) roams around attacking
      bunnies in the circle until killed.

      4.) More of the standard Kaballa Dollas, Choose a Carrot, Feed the
      Bunny, and Terrible Misfortune cards are included - along with a 1/2
      Kaballa Dolla (fairly useless), and a Decadruple Lucky Clover
      (anything BUT useless).

      5.) Again, plenty of new cards that do a variety of actions are
      included in this expansion. Some choice ones include:
      - M.R.E.: Reduces a Feed the Bunny card by 1/2. Having seen/eaten
      M.R.E.s, the card simply makes me laugh.
      - Up For Grabs: The player chooses a carrot secretly, and then all
      other players must guess which one they took. If someone guesses
      correctly, they keep the carrot; otherwise, the player who played the
      card gets it and another carrot. No bunny is needed to play this
      card, which makes it useful, especially when played at the beginning
      of the game, when folks have a harder time guessing.
      - Japanese Rabbit Trap: Is played on a player, and when a Roaming Run
      card enters, it cannot leave. A great way to get rid of some of those
      annoying roaming cards!
      - Ground Zero: Can be played on any bunny. The next weapon used must
      target this bunny. I almost always see this played on a Super Bunny.
      - Duck Tape: Worth it for the name alone. This thematic card allows
      a player to combine small weapons (nine or less) together for one huge
      assault, although each weapon is used individually. Great card!
      - Temporal Flux: Allows a player to immediately take their turn, with
      play continuing with the player after them. I enjoy the Bill and Ted
      artwork.
      - Neutronium Barrier: The same as a regular barrier but eliminates
      roaming cards. Hurrah!
      - Four "Play immediately" cards are included that cause the player to
      roll the zodiac die (from the Green expansion). If a specific symbol
      is rolled, the player can take one placed card from each opponent -
      even a carrot. I haven't seen one of these work yet, but they
      certainly make everyone shiver a bit.

      There are a lot more interesting cards in the set, but I enjoy it most
      for the new Super Bunnies, even if they are the biggest target ever
      created. Cards are starting to tie the entire series together, and
      the humor (from movies and other pop cultures) comes through on the
      artwork, names, and more. Quite possibly the funniest expansion so
      far.

      Tom Vasel
      "Real men play board games"
      www.thedicetower.com