SOG SR: 8/28 in Westford

  • Josh Bluestein
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      We had eight people in attendance at my place in Westford on Monday
      night: Paul, Mike, Jefff, Jeffm, Chris, Mark, Evan and me. This is a
      short SR because I don't actually have time to do a full one.

      We started with a six-player game of Ave Caesar: Paul, Mike, Jeffm,
      Evan, Mark, and I played. I made a critical error near the middle of
      the first lap which caused me to drop to the rear of the pack, where I
      stayed for the entire race. Jeffm ended up winning this after staying
      in the lead for almost the entire race.

      We then split into groups: Mark, Chris, Jeffm and Mike played Dragon
      Delta and Can't Stop, while Evan, Paul, Jefff and I played Die Mauer,
      Crystal Faire, and Exxtra.

      General impressions:

      Die Mauer is a cute, light blind bidding game about building a city
      wall. Good bits, gameplay isn't bad either. Some memory component as
      you need to try to remember what pieces each player has left. We
      stopped after two rounds, with Evan the clear winner.

      Crystal Faire is a trading and auction game about collecting gems.
      Some good choices to be made, but the game is oddly marred by a weird
      final round in which most of the trade opportunities don't matter at
      all. Since it's pretty obvious when the gems are going to run out,
      and if they run out in the trade phase (most likely) there's no payoff
      phase, all you get is 1 point for every two gems you have. So it's a
      matter of optimisation without caring about the sets you've been
      trying to form. Not a bad game, but the end was less than
      satisfying. Evan and I tied for the win on this.

      Exxtra went to Jefff.

      Mark went home, I think before the Can't Stop game. Mike went home
      after.

      We then redistributed: Jefff, Chris and I played Ra. Evan, Jeffm and
      Paul played...well, I have no idea.

      The game of Ra went to me, largely due to a lucky flood draw for me,
      and unlucky draws for Chris.

      Then Jefff went home and the remaining five of us closed with a game
      of Mac Robber. I don't really have much to say about this game -- it
      did almost nothing for me. Not bad, per se, but...it didn't seem to
      fit together very well. Jeffm won by virtue of drawing every 4 in the
      combat deck. Chris was 1 point behind him, and I was 1 point behind
      Chris. Paul and Evan were...much farther back, tied for last.

      That was all for that week! I won't be hosting on Labor Day, so I
      will see folks on September 11th,

      Josh