Traditional board and card gaming helping communities

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      I wanted to let you know that we have linked to the
      “helpyourcommunity.org” website. If you have a banner
      I would like to put it up on our website.

      Though the Greater Attleboro Gamers Association(GAGA)
      does not qualify for inclusion in the
      helpyourcommunity.org website, we have never the less
      noticed and promoted non gambling board, card and
      miniature gaming as a way to keep kids of drugs and
      out of trouble. We have found it to be successful.

      On your list of "101 Things You Can Do" you list video
      games but not board/card/miniature gaming as something
      to do with or for kids.

      Video gaming provides less human to human interaction
      than the traditional gaming we do. Often when parents
      approach us about joining the club they like that the
      very nature of the traditional, non video games,
      human interaction is necessary. They often feel that
      even when playing side by side on a video game that
      there is an isolation element there, that is not part
      of face to face traditional gaming.

      Unfortunately in this world of technology, video games
      are often the first thought while board/card/miniature
      gaming is an after thought, if it's even thought of at
      all.

      Also most video gaming is violent, while only a
      portion of board and card gaming is. With new games
      like "Ticket 2 Ride" http://www.ticket2ridegame.com/ ,
      "Carcassone" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/822 ,
      and "Power Grid"
      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2651, (to name a
      few), there is a wider choice of the type and style of
      game, than video games or just the Monopoly/Risk/Sorry
      games of old.

      Maybe you can add to the video game suggestion, board,
      card and miniature games/gaming?

      Thank you

      Cynthia Sulaiman
      President, Greater Attleboro Gamers Association (GAGA)
      http://www.geocities.com/attleborogaming/

      My List
      http://www.geocities.com/bcc_cindy/index.html
    • cvonh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        ?????

        I'm waiting for the part where this makes sense.

        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Cindy <attleborogaming@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to let you know that we have linked to the
        > "helpyourcommunity.org" website. If you have a banner
        > I would like to put it up on our website.
        >
        > Though the Greater Attleboro Gamers Association(GAGA)
        > does not qualify for inclusion in the
        > helpyourcommunity.org website, we have never the less
        > noticed and promoted non gambling board, card and
        > miniature gaming as a way to keep kids of drugs and
        > out of trouble. We have found it to be successful.
        >
        > On your list of "101 Things You Can Do" you list video
        > games but not board/card/miniature gaming as something
        > to do with or for kids.
        >
        > Video gaming provides less human to human interaction
        > than the traditional gaming we do. Often when parents
        > approach us about joining the club they like that the
        > very nature of the traditional, non video games,
        > human interaction is necessary. They often feel that
        > even when playing side by side on a video game that
        > there is an isolation element there, that is not part
        > of face to face traditional gaming.
        >
        > Unfortunately in this world of technology, video games
        > are often the first thought while board/card/miniature
        > gaming is an after thought, if it's even thought of at
        > all.
        >
        > Also most video gaming is violent, while only a
        > portion of board and card gaming is. With new games
        > like "Ticket 2 Ride" http://www.ticket2ridegame.com/ ,
        > "Carcassone" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/822 ,
        > and "Power Grid"
        > http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2651, (to name a
        > few), there is a wider choice of the type and style of
        > game, than video games or just the Monopoly/Risk/Sorry
        > games of old.
        >
        > Maybe you can add to the video game suggestion, board,
        > card and miniature games/gaming?
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Cynthia Sulaiman
        > President, Greater Attleboro Gamers Association (GAGA)
        > http://www.geocities.com/attleborogaming/
        >

        > My List
        > http://www.geocities.com/bcc_cindy/index.html

      • Chris Almy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
          Pretend it starts with "Dear helpyourcommunity.org" and it makes more
          sense. I think it went to the UG list by accident.

          -Chris