UG XI: Volunteers needed to teach games

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2006
      Unity Games XI will be held at the Sheraton in Framingham, MA on Aug
      19, 2006, which is only TEN WEEKS AWAY!! For more information, please
      visit:
      http://www.unitygames.org/ugxi/ugxi.htm

      I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area where
      dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
      The goal is to have a specific place where new players or
      those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet
      and ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.

      I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I
      need people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching
      games.

      So, why should you become a teacher? Well, the role provides an
      opportunity to meet new gamers as well as an opportunity to share your
      passion for a favorite game. The only requirements to becoming a
      teacher are that you know the rules to your game of choice, that you
      are able to explain these rules to new gamers, and that you play the
      game during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is
      taught at the appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those
      you'll be following anyway as you spend time at the event.

      My goal is to staff three consecutive 2-hour blocks (morning 9-11,
      midday 11-1, afternoon 1-3), with 3 or 4 games taught in each block.
      There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a
      choice of games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and
      accommodate 3+ players. As a reference, the games that were taught at
      UG-X included: Alhambra, El Grande, Heroscape, Louis XIV, Ra,
      Santiago, Shadows over Camelot, Showmanager, Ticket to Ride, and Winds
      of Plunder. Other game possibilities include (but are not limited
      to): Acquire, Attika, Carcassonne, Dawn Under, Expedition, Modern Art,
      Oasis, Traumfabrik, Showmanager, New England, Princes of Florence,
      Wizard, Settlers of Catan, Around the World in 80 Days, Citadels,
      Medici, St. Petersburg, and Niagara. I am looking for 9 - 12
      volunteers. Please reply to me off-list (indicating your gaming
      preference and 2-hour timeslot) if you are interested in participating
      in this activity.

      Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XI !

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia
    • Phil Alberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
        UG-XI is now only SIX WEEKS AWAY!!

        I need more volunteers to staff the Teaching Area. If interested,
        please contact me off-list with the game you would like to teach and
        the timeslot you'd like (9-11, 11-1, 1-3).

        Thank you,

        - Phil

        palberg @ gmail.com

        --
        Eastern MA Gaming
        http://www.unitygames.org/

        important, not the winning."
        - Reiner Knizia
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
          On 7/7/06, Phil Alberg <palberg@...> wrote:

          > I need more volunteers to staff the Teaching Area. If interested,
          > please contact me off-list with the game you would like to teach and
          > the timeslot you'd like (9-11, 11-1, 1-3).

          Thanks for organizing this once again Phil. The teaching area runs so
          very smoothly - but it does need volunteers. A teacher only needs to
          commit to a 2 hour timeslot and teaching games can be very rewarding
          (both to the teacher and the players). Those that volunteer to help
          make the day better will be given good (if mostly useless) karma...
          and no, you can't exchange Karma for a discount to the event ;)

          http://www.unitygames.org