Back Bay Gaming Group session report

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2006
      Brief session report on Back Bay Gaming Group, which meets every other Wednesday
      from 6 PM to 11, at b.good restaurant (which has really yummy, surprisingly
      inexpensive food and a nice atmosphere).

      We met Wed, March 15. Players were Matthew G (nice guy programmer), Stephen
      M.(nice guy, IT), and Carol C (neurotic writer).
      We sat at the large center table at b.good which puts you higher above everyone else
      in the restaurant, as to demonstrate our superior intellects. (I am opposed to the
      smiley so please imagine one here).

      We started off with Clans, in which I believe Matthew and Stephen tied. This is an
      interesting game that seemed just right with 3 players. I hadn't played it before and
      found it deeper in strategy than it first seemed. Note to self: If you want to avoid
      asking a question that will perhaps give away your strategy and instead want to sneak
      a look at the rules, go back in time and take German instead of Spanish in college.

      Then we played a quick game (is there any other kind?) of High Society, which
      Matthew won. He took advantage of Stephen and I being lightheaded with our
      newfound millions and pit us against each other in our capitalistic frenzy.

      Vampire was next, in which Stephen and I tied. Fun little rummy game but it could
      have been collecting Care Bears. When Matthew was explaining the rules and said,
      "Then you go on a vampire hunt," I got all bloodthirsty, but it was not to be. I was
      able to console myself with a fine chocolate shake from b.good and pretended it was
      a special brown plasma.

      And we wrapped it up with Attila, in which Matthew was the benevolent leader,
      spreading peace among the land.

      Nex meeting is March 29. Hope to see more of you there!
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
        The hills were alive with the sound of music...If "hills" means "b.good restaurant" and
        "music" means "board games."

        We met Wed March 26th. It was Matthew, Stephen, Rob, and me.

        Matthew was the only one to bring any games but fortunately he had a wide selection.

        First we played Zirkus Flohcati, which means Flea Circus, but don't call it Flea Circus
        because that's another game by Knizia. Nice little game.

        Then it was Show Manager. The last person to have seen a musical got to go first,
        which was me, because I had just seen "Rent." However, that was the best move I
        made the whole game. I thought I'd have an advantage here. I mean, it's not the most
        manly theme...you're producing MUSICALS for gods sake, and one of them is named
        QUEENIE. But I sucked, or as Matthew diplomatically put it, I had issues with hand
        management.

        Then we played Transamerica. Rob pointed out that you are REQUIRED to gripe about
        your cards, which is a very nice rule. Pretty good game, but I thought you should be
        able to interfere with (e.g., screw over) your opponents. I think each time you reach
        one of your cities, you get to remove a track from another player's path. Stephen won
        this one with a clever free ride.

        Then we played San Juan. At this point the headache I had had since work really
        kicked in and was unable to perform any cognitive function. I bowed out and just
        watched. Matthew won by just one point I think over Rob.

        Join us again in 2 weeks!!
      • brosiuse
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <starspangledgirl@...> wrote:

          > [...]
          >
          > Then we played Transamerica. Rob pointed out that you are REQUIRED
          > to gripe about your cards, which is a very nice rule. Pretty good game,
          > but I thought you should be able to interfere with (e.g., screw over)
          > your opponents.
          >
          > [...]

          Ahhh!---But, Carol, Transamerica is a much more subtle game than
          you're giving it credit for. It's a game of psychic domination---you must
          manipulate the minds of your opponents so they build your track instead
          of their own.

          If you see people playing Transamerica while wearing tin foil beanies,
          you'll know why!

          Eric