Re: [Unity_Games] 2006 gaming goal, an update

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      tmredden wrote:
      > Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.
      >
      > Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time
      > this year (still working on it):
      >
      > That's Life
      > Age of Steam (!!!)
      > Tsuro
      > Basari
      > Blue Moon
      > Railroad Tycoon
      > Caylus
      > Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
      > Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
      > HeroScape
      > Amun-Re
      > Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
      > Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
      > Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
      > China
      > Loot
      > Santiago
      > Landlord

      Todd, that's an awesome list of titles. I'm still trying to get Age of
      Steam on the table after only one play in the past 18 months.
      Thankfully, several of us 6am Gamers in NH are getting together at Geeks
      and Gamers in Meredith, NH for a Wallace fest on March 12th: Struggle of
      Empires at one table with Conquest of Empires at another, followed by
      Age of Steam for whoever sticks around.

      If you ever head north for a Wednesday session at my place in Concord,
      we can tackle some of your other titles over the seven hours we play.
      Bohnanza would be top of the list, as my wife will play that game to the
      exclusion of all others, no joke.

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        The Wallace Fest sounds awesome. Struggle is an aprapo word in the tile of Struggle of Empires. It can produce some agonizing decisions. Been playing Age of Steam a lot and it's lovely. I've not done Liberte, Tyros, Princes of the Rennaisance or Byzantium yet.

        From: "W. Eric Martin" <eric@...>
        tmredden wrote:
        > Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.
        >
        > Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time
        > this year (still working on it):
        >
        > That's Life
        > Age of Steam (!!!)
        > Tsuro
        > Basari
        > Blue Moon
        > Railroad Tycoon
        > Caylus
        > Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
        > Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
        > HeroScape
        > Amun-Re
        > Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
        > Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
        > Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
        > China
        > Loot
        > Santiago
        > Landlord

        Todd, that's an awesome list of titles. I'm still trying to get Age of
        Steam on the table after only one play in the past 18 months.
        Thankfully, several of us 6am Gamers in NH are getting together at Geeks
        and Gamers in Meredith, NH for a Wallace fest on March 12th: Struggle of
        Empires at one table with Conquest of Empires at another, followed by
        Age of Steam for whoever sticks around.

        If you ever head north for a Wednesday session at my place in Concord,
        we can tackle some of your other titles over the seven hours we play.
        Bohnanza would be top of the list, as my wife will play that game to the
        exclusion of all others, no joke.

        Eric-4

        --
        W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
        "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

        Classic board game Game board game Risk board game

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Unity_Games" on the web.

      • W. Eric Martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          andrew.young@... wrote:

          > The Wallace Fest sounds awesome. Struggle is an aprapo word in the
          > tile of Struggle of Empires. It can produce some agonizing
          > decisions. Been playing Age of Steam a lot and it's lovely. I've
          > not done Liberte, Tyros, Princes of the Rennaisance or Byzantium yet.

          I received Byzantium recently, and that's another title I need to push,
          one in a very long list. And Tempus is still on the horizon...

          Eric-4

          --
          W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
          "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
        • Joe Huber
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
            Eric writes:

            > My goal for 2006 is to play no more than a dozen games a single time.
            > Everything else will hit the table twice or more to squeeze out more
            > goodness and quality playing time. How am I doing at the end of
            > February? Let's review my list from the end of January:
            > Enough gassing from me -- are you making progress on your goals? Do you
            > even have a goal?

            My goal is qualitative rather than quantitative: Play the games that I
            enjoy, more.

            On the one hand, I'm not doing great: I've actually played _more_ new
            games, through the end of February, than I did last year - in spite of
            fewer games played overall.

            On the other hand, I've already played 2038 twice (and in fact, for
            three months running), I've played Settlers more than I did in 2005,
            I've played Durch die Wueste twice, and I'm already up to 19 of my 46
            must-plays - the games I rate 9 or 10.

            Joe