Re: [Unity_Games] 2006 gaming goal, an update

  • tmredden
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.

      Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time this year (still working on it):

      That's Life
      Age of Steam (!!!)
      Tsuro
      Basari
      Blue Moon
      Railroad Tycoon
      Caylus
      Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
      Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
      HeroScape
      Amun-Re
      Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
      Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
      Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
      China
      Loot
      Santiago
      Landlord

      List of games I have access to which I've never played and plan to play in 2006:

      1830 (actually played once many years ago but didn't quite grasp the subtleties)
      Sleuth (3M Gamette)
      Alhambra & expansion 1
      Arkham Horror (also, sat in on one game but wasn't rules-worthy)
      Bang & Expansions
      Betrayal at House on the Hill
      Bohnanza
      Carcassonne the Discovery
      Starfarers of Catan
      Chrononauts (once watched it being played)
      Citadels
      DaVinci's Challenge
      Descent: Journeys in the Dark
      Diplomacy
      Dungeonville
      El Caballero
      Encounters
      Flea Circus
      Galaxy: The Dark Ages
      Gang of Four
      Goa
      The Great Dalmuti
      Buillotine
      Hansa
      History of the World
      Inkognito (card game)
      KingMaker
      King's Breakfast
      Mag Blast
      Munchkin
      Maya
      Monkeys on the Moon
      Nautilus
      Nuclear War
      Pit (You've never played PIT?!)
      Princes of Florence
      Saint Petersburg
      San Juan
      Siesta (long ago forgot the rules)
      Snits & Snits Revenge
      Taj Mahal
      Tenjo (no, I guess I don't really want to play Tenjo)
      Tichu
      Titan
      Traverse
      Union Pacific (I think I played this once)
      Wettstreit der Baumeister
      and more.....

      - Todd

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        tmredden wrote:
        > Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.
        >
        > Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time
        > this year (still working on it):
        >
        > That's Life
        > Age of Steam (!!!)
        > Tsuro
        > Basari
        > Blue Moon
        > Railroad Tycoon
        > Caylus
        > Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
        > Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
        > HeroScape
        > Amun-Re
        > Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
        > Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
        > Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
        > China
        > Loot
        > Santiago
        > Landlord

        Todd, that's an awesome list of titles. I'm still trying to get Age of
        Steam on the table after only one play in the past 18 months.
        Thankfully, several of us 6am Gamers in NH are getting together at Geeks
        and Gamers in Meredith, NH for a Wallace fest on March 12th: Struggle of
        Empires at one table with Conquest of Empires at another, followed by
        Age of Steam for whoever sticks around.

        If you ever head north for a Wednesday session at my place in Concord,
        we can tackle some of your other titles over the seven hours we play.
        Bohnanza would be top of the list, as my wife will play that game to the
        exclusion of all others, no joke.

        Eric-4

        --
        W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
        "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          The Wallace Fest sounds awesome. Struggle is an aprapo word in the tile of Struggle of Empires. It can produce some agonizing decisions. Been playing Age of Steam a lot and it's lovely. I've not done Liberte, Tyros, Princes of the Rennaisance or Byzantium yet.

          From: "W. Eric Martin" <eric@...>
          tmredden wrote:
          > Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.
          >
          > Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time
          > this year (still working on it):
          >
          > That's Life
          > Age of Steam (!!!)
          > Tsuro
          > Basari
          > Blue Moon
          > Railroad Tycoon
          > Caylus
          > Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
          > Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
          > HeroScape
          > Amun-Re
          > Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
          > Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
          > Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
          > China
          > Loot
          > Santiago
          > Landlord

          Todd, that's an awesome list of titles. I'm still trying to get Age of
          Steam on the table after only one play in the past 18 months.
          Thankfully, several of us 6am Gamers in NH are getting together at Geeks
          and Gamers in Meredith, NH for a Wallace fest on March 12th: Struggle of
          Empires at one table with Conquest of Empires at another, followed by
          Age of Steam for whoever sticks around.

          If you ever head north for a Wednesday session at my place in Concord,
          we can tackle some of your other titles over the seven hours we play.
          Bohnanza would be top of the list, as my wife will play that game to the
          exclusion of all others, no joke.

          Eric-4

          --
          W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
          "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

          Classic board game Game board game Risk board game

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Unity_Games" on the web.

        • W. Eric Martin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            andrew.young@... wrote:

            > The Wallace Fest sounds awesome. Struggle is an aprapo word in the
            > tile of Struggle of Empires. It can produce some agonizing
            > decisions. Been playing Age of Steam a lot and it's lovely. I've
            > not done Liberte, Tyros, Princes of the Rennaisance or Byzantium yet.

            I received Byzantium recently, and that's another title I need to push,
            one in a very long list. And Tempus is still on the horizon...

            Eric-4

            --
            W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
            "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
          • Joe Huber
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
              Eric writes:

              > My goal for 2006 is to play no more than a dozen games a single time.
              > Everything else will hit the table twice or more to squeeze out more
              > goodness and quality playing time. How am I doing at the end of
              > February? Let's review my list from the end of January:
              > Enough gassing from me -- are you making progress on your goals? Do you
              > even have a goal?

              My goal is qualitative rather than quantitative: Play the games that I
              enjoy, more.

              On the one hand, I'm not doing great: I've actually played _more_ new
              games, through the end of February, than I did last year - in spite of
              fewer games played overall.

              On the other hand, I've already played 2038 twice (and in fact, for
              three months running), I've played Settlers more than I did in 2005,
              I've played Durch die Wueste twice, and I'm already up to 19 of my 46
              must-plays - the games I rate 9 or 10.

              Joe