2006 gaming goal, an update

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      My goal for 2006 is to play no more than a dozen games a single time.
      Everything else will hit the table twice or more to squeeze out more
      goodness and quality playing time. How am I doing at the end of
      February? Let's review my list from the end of January:

      6 Nimmt!
      Amun-Re
      Apples to Apples
      Carabande Action Set
      Caylus
      Fiese Freunde Fette Feten
      Go West
      Jambo
      Kapitän Wackelpudding
      Lost Cities
      Macher, die
      Reef Encounter
      Sitting Ducks Gallery
      St. Petersburg
      Tichu
      Viva Pamplona

      As expected, 6 Nimmt!, Carabande Action Set, Caylus, and Jambo are
      already off the list; more surprisingly, FFFF, St. Petersburg, Tichu,
      and Viva Pamplona have also hit multiple plays, leaving only eight
      titles in the singleton column. Joining the list in February, though, are:

      Big Boss
      China
      Handy
      Hansa
      Kommando
      Pico 2
      Somethin' Fishy
      Texas Roll 'Em
      TransAmerica

      So the list now boasts 17 titles. Big Boss, China, Hansa, and
      TransAmerica should be locks on the multi-play list. The SimplyFun
      titles (Handy, Somethin' Fishy, Texas Roll 'Em) are iffy, but not out of
      the question given that I'm trying to place reviews of most of them.
      Kommando and Pico 2 are two-player fillers, so all I need is a few
      minutes with someone and BAM! another notch on the belt.

      Plenty of titles went 1-2 to spring past the singleton stumbling block:
      Brawl (with 10 plays on Feb. 28 in preparation for a review in
      Grappling), Easy Come, Easy Go (which delights my wife and plays in
      minutes), Circus Flohcati (another review, this time for Coffee
      Magazine), Roma, Time Is Money, Marracash, Timbuktu (to be reviewed in
      Knucklebones), and a few others.

      Enough gassing from me -- are you making progress on your goals? Do you
      even have a goal?

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.

        Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time this year (still working on it):

        That's Life
        Age of Steam (!!!)
        Tsuro
        Basari
        Blue Moon
        Railroad Tycoon
        Caylus
        Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
        Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
        HeroScape
        Amun-Re
        Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
        Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
        Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
        China
        Loot
        Santiago
        Landlord

        List of games I have access to which I've never played and plan to play in 2006:

        1830 (actually played once many years ago but didn't quite grasp the subtleties)
        Sleuth (3M Gamette)
        Alhambra & expansion 1
        Arkham Horror (also, sat in on one game but wasn't rules-worthy)
        Bang & Expansions
        Betrayal at House on the Hill
        Bohnanza
        Carcassonne the Discovery
        Starfarers of Catan
        Chrononauts (once watched it being played)
        Citadels
        DaVinci's Challenge
        Descent: Journeys in the Dark
        Diplomacy
        Dungeonville
        El Caballero
        Encounters
        Flea Circus
        Galaxy: The Dark Ages
        Gang of Four
        Goa
        The Great Dalmuti
        Buillotine
        Hansa
        History of the World
        Inkognito (card game)
        KingMaker
        King's Breakfast
        Mag Blast
        Munchkin
        Maya
        Monkeys on the Moon
        Nautilus
        Nuclear War
        Pit (You've never played PIT?!)
        Princes of Florence
        Saint Petersburg
        San Juan
        Siesta (long ago forgot the rules)
        Snits & Snits Revenge
        Taj Mahal
        Tenjo (no, I guess I don't really want to play Tenjo)
        Tichu
        Titan
        Traverse
        Union Pacific (I think I played this once)
        Wettstreit der Baumeister
        and more.....

        - Todd

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          tmredden wrote:
          > Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.
          >
          > Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time
          > this year (still working on it):
          >
          > That's Life
          > Age of Steam (!!!)
          > Tsuro
          > Basari
          > Blue Moon
          > Railroad Tycoon
          > Caylus
          > Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
          > Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
          > HeroScape
          > Amun-Re
          > Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
          > Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
          > Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
          > China
          > Loot
          > Santiago
          > Landlord

          Todd, that's an awesome list of titles. I'm still trying to get Age of
          Steam on the table after only one play in the past 18 months.
          Thankfully, several of us 6am Gamers in NH are getting together at Geeks
          and Gamers in Meredith, NH for a Wallace fest on March 12th: Struggle of
          Empires at one table with Conquest of Empires at another, followed by
          Age of Steam for whoever sticks around.

          If you ever head north for a Wednesday session at my place in Concord,
          we can tackle some of your other titles over the seven hours we play.
          Bohnanza would be top of the list, as my wife will play that game to the
          exclusion of all others, no joke.

          Eric-4

          --
        • andrew.young@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            The Wallace Fest sounds awesome. Struggle is an aprapo word in the tile of Struggle of Empires. It can produce some agonizing decisions. Been playing Age of Steam a lot and it's lovely. I've not done Liberte, Tyros, Princes of the Rennaisance or Byzantium yet.

            From: "W. Eric Martin" <eric@...>
            tmredden wrote:
            > Yes, my goal for 2006 is to play games that I've never played before.
            >
            > Here is the current list of new games I've played for the first time
            > this year (still working on it):
            >
            > That's Life
            > Age of Steam (!!!)
            > Tsuro
            > Basari
            > Blue Moon
            > Railroad Tycoon
            > Caylus
            > Fist of Dragonstones (played at UGX2 and again)
            > Shear Panic (also played at UGX2)
            > HeroScape
            > Amun-Re
            > Sudoku (yes, I finally tried it - do solitaire games really count?)
            > Edel, Stein, & Reich (similar to Basari)
            > Funkenschlag (John Tamplin's very nice hex tile expansion/upgrade! I had played Power Grid several times, but not this original version)
            > China
            > Loot
            > Santiago
            > Landlord

            Todd, that's an awesome list of titles. I'm still trying to get Age of
            Steam on the table after only one play in the past 18 months.
            Thankfully, several of us 6am Gamers in NH are getting together at Geeks
            and Gamers in Meredith, NH for a Wallace fest on March 12th: Struggle of
            Empires at one table with Conquest of Empires at another, followed by
            Age of Steam for whoever sticks around.

            If you ever head north for a Wednesday session at my place in Concord,
            we can tackle some of your other titles over the seven hours we play.
            Bohnanza would be top of the list, as my wife will play that game to the
            exclusion of all others, no joke.

            Eric-4

            --
            W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
            "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

            Classic board game Game board game Risk board game

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "Unity_Games" on the web.

          • W. Eric Martin
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
              andrew.young@... wrote:

              > The Wallace Fest sounds awesome. Struggle is an aprapo word in the
              > tile of Struggle of Empires. It can produce some agonizing
              > decisions. Been playing Age of Steam a lot and it's lovely. I've
              > not done Liberte, Tyros, Princes of the Rennaisance or Byzantium yet.

              I received Byzantium recently, and that's another title I need to push,
              one in a very long list. And Tempus is still on the horizon...

              Eric-4

              --
              W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
              "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
            • Joe Huber
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
                Eric writes:

                > My goal for 2006 is to play no more than a dozen games a single time.
                > Everything else will hit the table twice or more to squeeze out more
                > goodness and quality playing time. How am I doing at the end of
                > February? Let's review my list from the end of January:
                > Enough gassing from me -- are you making progress on your goals? Do you
                > even have a goal?

                My goal is qualitative rather than quantitative: Play the games that I
                enjoy, more.

                On the one hand, I'm not doing great: I've actually played _more_ new
                games, through the end of February, than I did last year - in spite of
                fewer games played overall.

                On the other hand, I've already played 2038 twice (and in fact, for
                three months running), I've played Settlers more than I did in 2005,
                I've played Durch die Wueste twice, and I'm already up to 19 of my 46
                must-plays - the games I rate 9 or 10.

                Joe