Re: [Unity_Games] My gaming goal for 2006

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
      Mark J. Edwards wrote:
      > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
      > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
      > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
      > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
      > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

      Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
      or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
      tesseract or somesuch.

      > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
      > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

      That's another game I really need to try soon...

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
        At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
        >Mark J. Edwards wrote:
        > > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
        > > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
        > > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
        > > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
        > > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.
        >
        >Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
        >or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
        >tesseract or somesuch.

        Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
        closets), but now I think they need to find a better home. I actually will
        have a hard time parting with some of them, wacky though they may be.

        Mark

        I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
        Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
        PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
        Homer Simpson
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
          At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
          > > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little
          > auction/tactical
          > > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.
          >
          >That's another game I really need to try soon...

          It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
          learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
          the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
          shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
          yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
          colors of meeples. Doh!

          Mark

          I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
          Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
          PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
          Homer Simpson
        • Joe J. Rushanan
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
            Mark,

            I would like 1863 if it is complete ($20, right?) . I assume it is the old
            Parker Brothers(?) game with plastic pieces. Perhaps we can add it to the
            meeple order?

            thanks much,
            JoeJ

            --
            Joe J. Rushanan "Board Gamers Never Are"

          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
              http://tinyurl.com/behef (let me know if that doesn't work!)

              I should've mentioned that my username is "DangerMouse" so that it'd be
              easier to find what I'm selling over on BGG.

              Feel free to use the BGG system to buy, submit offers, etc. so those fine
              gents get their piece of the action.

              I'll be adding stuff as time goes on (i.e. as I dig stuff out of my storage
              bins and spot stuff that I'll never play in my closet).

              Mark

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                Mark Edwards wrote:
                > Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                > closets), <snip>

                Hmm, that sounds familiar. After all, if she's not going to play it,
                then the space it takes up doesn't count, right?

                Mark followed up with this about Marracash:
                > It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                > learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                > the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                > shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                > yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                > colors of meeples. Doh!

                And to take this thread full circle, results like this are precisely
                what I hope to avoid this year by playing games at least twice. My first
                attempt at Mexica, for example, gave me plenty to work with during my
                second play a week later in which I surprised everyone (twice!) by
                spending extra action points and bringing the round to a close.

                The experience with Primordial Soup has proved quite so helpful yet, but
                at least now I know to avoid the combination of Substitution and
                Struggle for Survival.

                Eric-4