Re: [Unity_Games] My gaming goal for 2006

  • Mark J. Edwards
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      At 02:08 AM 2/1/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
      >In 2005, Phil Alberg at GSG adopted Jon Theys' suggested alphabetic
      >attack to his pile of unplayed games. Each fortnight brought a new
      >letter -- and a new pile of games -- to the table, and I joined in,
      >bringing out such titles as Ausbrecher AG, The Bucket King, Orbit, and
      >OD (which still went unplayed).
      >
      >For 2006, I thought I'd attempt a different goal, one equally pointless
      >in the larger scale of things but compelling enough to focus my mind for
      >the next twelve months. That goal:
      >
      ><snip>
      >Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?

      Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
      the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
      alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
      in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
      what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

      That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
      movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

      Mark

      "Logan... you renewed!"
      Francis-7
    • W. Eric Martin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
        Mark J. Edwards wrote:
        > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
        > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
        > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
        > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
        > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

        Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
        or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
        tesseract or somesuch.

        > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
        > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

        That's another game I really need to try soon...

        Eric-4

        --
        W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
        "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
          At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
          >Mark J. Edwards wrote:
          > > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
          > > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
          > > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
          > > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
          > > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.
          >
          >Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
          >or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
          >tesseract or somesuch.

          Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
          closets), but now I think they need to find a better home. I actually will
          have a hard time parting with some of them, wacky though they may be.

          Mark

          I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
          Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
          PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
          Homer Simpson
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
            At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
            > > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little
            > auction/tactical
            > > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.
            >
            >That's another game I really need to try soon...

            It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
            learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
            the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
            shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
            yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
            colors of meeples. Doh!

            Mark

            I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
            Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
            PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
            Homer Simpson
          • Joe J. Rushanan
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
              Mark,

              I would like 1863 if it is complete ($20, right?) . I assume it is the old
              Parker Brothers(?) game with plastic pieces. Perhaps we can add it to the
              meeple order?

              thanks much,
              JoeJ

              --
              Joe J. Rushanan "Board Gamers Never Are"

            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                http://tinyurl.com/behef (let me know if that doesn't work!)

                I should've mentioned that my username is "DangerMouse" so that it'd be
                easier to find what I'm selling over on BGG.

                Feel free to use the BGG system to buy, submit offers, etc. so those fine
                gents get their piece of the action.

                I'll be adding stuff as time goes on (i.e. as I dig stuff out of my storage
                bins and spot stuff that I'll never play in my closet).

                Mark

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Mark Edwards wrote:
                  > Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                  > closets), <snip>

                  Hmm, that sounds familiar. After all, if she's not going to play it,
                  then the space it takes up doesn't count, right?

                  Mark followed up with this about Marracash:
                  > It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                  > learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                  > the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                  > shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                  > yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                  > colors of meeples. Doh!

                  And to take this thread full circle, results like this are precisely
                  what I hope to avoid this year by playing games at least twice. My first
                  attempt at Mexica, for example, gave me plenty to work with during my
                  second play a week later in which I surprised everyone (twice!) by
                  spending extra action points and bringing the round to a close.

                  The experience with Primordial Soup has proved quite so helpful yet, but
                  at least now I know to avoid the combination of Substitution and
                  Struggle for Survival.

                  Eric-4