Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Unity_Games] My gaming goal for 2006

Expand Messages
  • Tery Noseworthy
    It s not as bad as having sharp needles put into your eyeballs . . .. . . Actually, it isn t that bad - there s just not much there. Tery ... [Non-text
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      It's not as bad as having sharp needles put into your eyeballs . . .. . .

      Actually, it isn't that bad - there's just not much there.

      Tery


      On 2/1/06, W. Eric Martin <eric@...> wrote:
      >
      > Tery Noseworthy wrote:
      > > My gamimg goal is to play all of the games that we own that we have
      > > not yet played. <snip>
      >
      > That's right -- I need to add "learning the rules for Meltdown" to my
      > list of goals. Can it really be that bad? Time will tell...
      >
      > Eric-4
      >
      >
      > --
      > W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      > "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny
      > Zamyatin
      >
      >
      > Unity Games webpage: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games
      > To unsubscribe send email to Unity_Games-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Mark J. Edwards
      ... Thin the herd. I m starting to go through my collection and selling the games I know I ll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but alas there s
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        At 02:08 AM 2/1/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
        >In 2005, Phil Alberg at GSG adopted Jon Theys' suggested alphabetic
        >attack to his pile of unplayed games. Each fortnight brought a new
        >letter -- and a new pile of games -- to the table, and I joined in,
        >bringing out such titles as Ausbrecher AG, The Bucket King, Orbit, and
        >OD (which still went unplayed).
        >
        >For 2006, I thought I'd attempt a different goal, one equally pointless
        >in the larger scale of things but compelling enough to focus my mind for
        >the next twelve months. That goal:
        >
        ><snip>
        >Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?

        Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
        the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
        alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
        in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
        what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

        That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
        movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

        Mark


        "Logan... you renewed!"
        Francis-7
      • W. Eric Martin
        ... Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I ve never heard of -- or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a tesseract or
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
          Mark J. Edwards wrote:
          > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
          > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
          > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
          > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
          > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

          Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
          or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
          tesseract or somesuch.

          > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
          > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

          That's another game I really need to try soon...

          Eric-4

          --
          W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
          "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
        • Mark Edwards
          ... Yeah, it s stuff that I ve hidden away from the wife (not in the closets), but now I think they need to find a better home. I actually will have a hard
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
            At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
            >Mark J. Edwards wrote:
            > > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
            > > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
            > > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
            > > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
            > > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.
            >
            >Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
            >or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
            >tesseract or somesuch.

            Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
            closets), but now I think they need to find a better home. I actually will
            have a hard time parting with some of them, wacky though they may be.

            Mark


            If you like board games and live in Eastern MA or the surrounding areas
            check out Unity Games -- www.unitygames.org

            I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
            Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
            PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
            Homer Simpson
          • Mark Edwards
            ... It s one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night the winner
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
              At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
              > > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little
              > auction/tactical
              > > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.
              >
              >That's another game I really need to try soon...

              It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
              learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
              the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
              shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
              yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
              colors of meeples. Doh!

              Mark


              If you like board games and live in Eastern MA or the surrounding areas
              check out Unity Games -- www.unitygames.org

              I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
              Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
              PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
              Homer Simpson
            • Joe J. Rushanan
              Mark, I would like 1863 if it is complete ($20, right?) . I assume it is the old Parker Brothers(?) game with plastic pieces. Perhaps we can add it to the
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                Mark,

                I would like 1863 if it is complete ($20, right?) . I assume it is the old
                Parker Brothers(?) game with plastic pieces. Perhaps we can add it to the
                meeple order?

                thanks much,
                JoeJ


                On 2/1/06, Mark J. Edwards <danger-mouse@...> wrote:
                >
                > At 02:08 AM 2/1/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
                > >In 2005, Phil Alberg at GSG adopted Jon Theys' suggested alphabetic
                > >attack to his pile of unplayed games. Each fortnight brought a new
                > >letter -- and a new pile of games -- to the table, and I joined in,
                > >bringing out such titles as Ausbrecher AG, The Bucket King, Orbit, and
                > >OD (which still went unplayed).
                > >
                > >For 2006, I thought I'd attempt a different goal, one equally pointless
                > >in the larger scale of things but compelling enough to focus my mind for
                > >the next twelve months. That goal:
                > >
                > ><snip>
                > >Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?
                >
                > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
                > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
                > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
                > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
                > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.
                >
                > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
                > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.
                >
                > Mark
                >
                >
                > "Logan... you renewed!"
                > Francis-7
                >
                >
                >
                > Unity Games webpage: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games
                > To unsubscribe send email to Unity_Games-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >


                --
                Joe J. Rushanan "Board Gamers Never Are"


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Mark Edwards
                http://tinyurl.com/behef (let me know if that doesn t work!) I should ve mentioned that my username is DangerMouse so that it d be easier to find what I m
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                  http://tinyurl.com/behef (let me know if that doesn't work!)

                  I should've mentioned that my username is "DangerMouse" so that it'd be
                  easier to find what I'm selling over on BGG.

                  Feel free to use the BGG system to buy, submit offers, etc. so those fine
                  gents get their piece of the action.

                  I'll be adding stuff as time goes on (i.e. as I dig stuff out of my storage
                  bins and spot stuff that I'll never play in my closet).

                  Mark


                  >Mark J. Edwards wrote:
                  > > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
                  > > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
                  > > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
                  > > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
                  > > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

                  If you like board games and live in Eastern MA or the surrounding areas
                  check out Unity Games -- www.unitygames.org

                  I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
                  Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
                  PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
                  Homer Simpson



                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • W. Eric Martin
                  ... Hmm, that sounds familiar. After all, if she s not going to play it, then the space it takes up doesn t count, right? ... And to take this thread full
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Mark Edwards wrote:
                    > Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                    > closets), <snip>

                    Hmm, that sounds familiar. After all, if she's not going to play it,
                    then the space it takes up doesn't count, right?

                    Mark followed up with this about Marracash:
                    > It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                    > learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                    > the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                    > shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                    > yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                    > colors of meeples. Doh!

                    And to take this thread full circle, results like this are precisely
                    what I hope to avoid this year by playing games at least twice. My first
                    attempt at Mexica, for example, gave me plenty to work with during my
                    second play a week later in which I surprised everyone (twice!) by
                    spending extra action points and bringing the round to a close.

                    The experience with Primordial Soup has proved quite so helpful yet, but
                    at least now I know to avoid the combination of Substitution and
                    Struggle for Survival.

                    Eric-4

                    --
                    W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
                    "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.