Re: [Unity_Games] My gaming goal for 2006

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      Tery Noseworthy wrote:
      > My gamimg goal is to play all of the games that we own that we have
      > not yet played. <snip>

      That's right -- I need to add "learning the rules for Meltdown" to my
      list of goals. Can it really be that bad? Time will tell...

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        On 2/1/06, John P. Cataldo <cataldoj@...> wrote:

        > ] * Kapitan Wackelpudding and Sitting Ducks Gallery might be tough because
        > ] I don't own copies. Sitting Ducks is owned by a local, so that shouldn't
        >
        > ] be too difficult, but Kapitan W. was played at UG-X, so it might be the
        > ] default January singleton come the end of 2006. Time will tell.
        >
        > Well, I can always bring Kapitan Wackelpudding to the (unannounced but
        > hopefully existent) UG11 if that's desired. =)
        >
        > I feel relatively safe in the presumption that no one else brought
        > Kapitan Wackelpudding to UGX. I'm glad it got played.
        >
        > ] Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?
        >
        > Play more games! I now *live* with more gamers than in 2005, so this
        > should be easy to accomplish.
        >
        > Super mini session report:
        >
        > Brian J. and I played LotR: Confrontation three times last night, and
        > Bamboleo three times. (Four? I forget.) At any rate, I dominated LotR,
        > losing only a single game, and was equally decimated playing Bamboleo,
        > winning only once.
        >
        > I quite like LotR as a medium-weight two player game. It reminds me a lot
        >
        > of 2-player Shipwrecked with more tactical and strategic decisions as a
        > result of the board, while being quite obviously like a mini-Stratego
        > variant. I do keep forgetting key rules in the game, though, and ending
        > up dead as a result.
        >
        > I did have a lot of fun playing Bamboleo, which is admittedly as much a
        > toy as a game. Dexterity games aren't good all the time, but Bamboleo
        > makes me think I don't understand physics very well sometimes!
        >
        > --
        > John

      • Tery Noseworthy
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
          It's not as bad as having sharp needles put into your eyeballs . . .. . .

          Actually, it isn't that bad - there's just not much there.

          Tery

          On 2/1/06, W. Eric Martin <eric@...> wrote:

          > Tery Noseworthy wrote:
          > > My gamimg goal is to play all of the games that we own that we have
          > > not yet played. <snip>
          >
          > That's right -- I need to add "learning the rules for Meltdown" to my
          > list of goals. Can it really be that bad? Time will tell...
          >
          > Eric-4
          >

          > --
          > W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
          > "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny
          > Zamyatin

        • Mark J. Edwards
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
            At 02:08 AM 2/1/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
            >In 2005, Phil Alberg at GSG adopted Jon Theys' suggested alphabetic
            >attack to his pile of unplayed games. Each fortnight brought a new
            >letter -- and a new pile of games -- to the table, and I joined in,
            >bringing out such titles as Ausbrecher AG, The Bucket King, Orbit, and
            >OD (which still went unplayed).
            >
            >For 2006, I thought I'd attempt a different goal, one equally pointless
            >in the larger scale of things but compelling enough to focus my mind for
            >the next twelve months. That goal:
            >
            ><snip>
            >Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?

            Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
            the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
            alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
            in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
            what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

            That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
            movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

            Mark

            "Logan... you renewed!"
            Francis-7
          • W. Eric Martin
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
              Mark J. Edwards wrote:
              > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
              > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
              > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
              > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
              > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

              Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
              or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
              tesseract or somesuch.

              > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
              > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

              That's another game I really need to try soon...

              Eric-4

              --
              W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
              "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
                >Mark J. Edwards wrote:
                > > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
                > > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
                > > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
                > > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
                > > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.
                >
                >Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
                >or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
                >tesseract or somesuch.

                Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                closets), but now I think they need to find a better home. I actually will
                have a hard time parting with some of them, wacky though they may be.

                Mark

                I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
                Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
                PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
                Homer Simpson
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                  At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
                  > > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little
                  > auction/tactical
                  > > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.
                  >
                  >That's another game I really need to try soon...

                  It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                  learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                  the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                  shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                  yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                  colors of meeples. Doh!

                  Mark

                  I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
                  Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
                  PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
                  Homer Simpson
                • Joe J. Rushanan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Mark,

                    I would like 1863 if it is complete ($20, right?) . I assume it is the old
                    Parker Brothers(?) game with plastic pieces. Perhaps we can add it to the
                    meeple order?

                    thanks much,
                    JoeJ

                    --
                    Joe J. Rushanan "Board Gamers Never Are"

                  • Mark Edwards
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                      http://tinyurl.com/behef (let me know if that doesn't work!)

                      I should've mentioned that my username is "DangerMouse" so that it'd be
                      easier to find what I'm selling over on BGG.

                      Feel free to use the BGG system to buy, submit offers, etc. so those fine
                      gents get their piece of the action.

                      I'll be adding stuff as time goes on (i.e. as I dig stuff out of my storage
                      bins and spot stuff that I'll never play in my closet).

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Mark Edwards wrote:
                        > Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                        > closets), <snip>

                        Hmm, that sounds familiar. After all, if she's not going to play it,
                        then the space it takes up doesn't count, right?

                        Mark followed up with this about Marracash:
                        > It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                        > learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                        > the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                        > shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                        > yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                        > colors of meeples. Doh!

                        And to take this thread full circle, results like this are precisely
                        what I hope to avoid this year by playing games at least twice. My first
                        attempt at Mexica, for example, gave me plenty to work with during my
                        second play a week later in which I surprised everyone (twice!) by
                        spending extra action points and bringing the round to a close.

                        The experience with Primordial Soup has proved quite so helpful yet, but
                        at least now I know to avoid the combination of Substitution and
                        Struggle for Survival.

                        Eric-4