My gaming goal for 2006

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
      In 2005, Phil Alberg at GSG adopted Jon Theys' suggested alphabetic
      attack to his pile of unplayed games. Each fortnight brought a new
      letter -- and a new pile of games -- to the table, and I joined in,
      bringing out such titles as Ausbrecher AG, The Bucket King, Orbit, and
      OD (which still went unplayed).

      For 2006, I thought I'd attempt a different goal, one equally pointless
      in the larger scale of things but compelling enough to focus my mind for
      the next twelve months. That goal:

      End the year with no more than 12 games having been played a single time.

      Clearly hundreds of games exist that I won't play at all in 2006. Try as
      I might, I can't get everything I want to play to the game table. What I
      will try to do though is make sure that I don't play a game only once,
      then put it aside for the next twelve months in favor of something new.
      After going through the effort of learning the rules, I want to play a
      game at least twice in order to explore new paths of gameplay and
      remember the rules better for the future.

      I've already succeeded in this goal to some degree, playing new titles
      such as Mexica, Queen's Necklace, Ursuppe, Pyramiden des Jaguar,
      Carcassonne: the Castle, Square Off, Deflexion, and Invers multiple
      times in January. Heck, even Settlers hit two plays (both on Jan. 31),
      doubling my lifetime total.

      Why 12 games? Leaving a cushion of one game per month seems like a
      reasonable approach. Certainly I'll try games that suck with such power
      that a second play would be like torture; other single plays might be on
      someone else's copy of a game, and I won't purchase one of my own simply
      to meet this absurd goal.

      At the end of January, my list of single-played games consists of:

      6 Nimmt!
      Amun-Re
      Apples to Apples
      Carabande Action Set
      Caylus
      Fiese Freunde Fette Feten
      Go West
      Jambo
      Kapitän Wackelpudding
      Lost Cities
      Macher, die
      Reef Encounter
      Sitting Ducks Gallery
      St. Petersburg
      Tichu
      Viva Pamplona

      * Most of these games seem like sure bets for a second play: 6 Nimmt!,
      Amun-Re, Apples to Apples, Caylus, Jambo, Lost Cities, St. Petersburg,
      Tichu, Viva Pamplona.

      * FFFF and Reef Encounter have seen the light of day only after having
      been shunned for, respectively, six months, and 12 months, so second
      plays aren't guaranteed but should be likely.

      * Carabande is still set up on a table in my gameroom, so the Action
      Set should receive another notch shortly.

      * Go West seems to suffer the Colovini curse of being best with only two
      players, but my wife seems unlikely to play this again, so this is iffy
      without some real attention. I'd still like to try this with three,
      which means another play is possible if I push it at the right time.

      * I've vowed to play Die Macher again within two months after my
      introductory session at UG-X.2 and will soon arrange an all-day game
      session at my house to make sure this happens.

      * Kapitan Wackelpudding and Sitting Ducks Gallery might be tough because
      I don't own copies. Sitting Ducks is owned by a local, so that shouldn't
      be too difficult, but Kapitan W. was played at UG-X, so it might be the
      default January singleton come the end of 2006. Time will tell.

      Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        ] * Kapitan Wackelpudding and Sitting Ducks Gallery might be tough because
        ] I don't own copies. Sitting Ducks is owned by a local, so that shouldn't
        ] be too difficult, but Kapitan W. was played at UG-X, so it might be the
        ] default January singleton come the end of 2006. Time will tell.

        Well, I can always bring Kapitan Wackelpudding to the (unannounced but
        hopefully existent) UG11 if that's desired. =)

        I feel relatively safe in the presumption that no one else brought
        Kapitan Wackelpudding to UGX. I'm glad it got played.

        ] Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?

        Play more games! I now *live* with more gamers than in 2005, so this
        should be easy to accomplish.

        Super mini session report:

        Brian J. and I played LotR: Confrontation three times last night, and
        Bamboleo three times. (Four? I forget.) At any rate, I dominated LotR,
        losing only a single game, and was equally decimated playing Bamboleo,
        winning only once.

        I quite like LotR as a medium-weight two player game. It reminds me a lot
        of 2-player Shipwrecked with more tactical and strategic decisions as a
        result of the board, while being quite obviously like a mini-Stratego
        variant. I do keep forgetting key rules in the game, though, and ending
        up dead as a result.

        I did have a lot of fun playing Bamboleo, which is admittedly as much a
        toy as a game. Dexterity games aren't good all the time, but Bamboleo
        makes me think I don't understand physics very well sometimes!

        --
        John
      • Tery Noseworthy
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
          My gamimg goal is to play all of the games that we own that we have not yet
          played. These are mostly games from prize tables at various gaming events,
          although a few are games we bought. There are probably 20 in all. I want to
          play them so we can decide if they are worth keeping or whether we should
          find them a new home - storage is becoming an issue for us, and I just feel
          so guilty every time I see one of those unplayed games sitting on the shelf.

          Tery

          On 2/1/06, W. Eric Martin <eric@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > without some real attention. I'd still like to try this with three,
          > which means another play is possible if I push it at the right time.
          >
          > * I've vowed to play Die Macher again within two months after my
          > introductory session at UG-X.2 and will soon arrange an all-day game
          > session at my house to make sure this happens.
          >
          > * Kapitan Wackelpudding and Sitting Ducks Gallery might be tough because
          > I don't own copies. Sitting Ducks is owned by a local, so that shouldn't
          > be too difficult, but Kapitan W. was played at UG-X, so it might be the
          > default January singleton come the end of 2006. Time will tell.
          >
          > Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?
          >
          > Eric-4
          >

          > --
          > W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
          > "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny

        • W. Eric Martin
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
            Tery Noseworthy wrote:
            > My gamimg goal is to play all of the games that we own that we have
            > not yet played. <snip>

            That's right -- I need to add "learning the rules for Meltdown" to my
            list of goals. Can it really be that bad? Time will tell...

            Eric-4

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
              On 2/1/06, John P. Cataldo <cataldoj@...> wrote:

              > ] * Kapitan Wackelpudding and Sitting Ducks Gallery might be tough because
              > ] I don't own copies. Sitting Ducks is owned by a local, so that shouldn't
              >
              > ] be too difficult, but Kapitan W. was played at UG-X, so it might be the
              > ] default January singleton come the end of 2006. Time will tell.
              >
              > Well, I can always bring Kapitan Wackelpudding to the (unannounced but
              > hopefully existent) UG11 if that's desired. =)
              >
              > I feel relatively safe in the presumption that no one else brought
              > Kapitan Wackelpudding to UGX. I'm glad it got played.
              >
              > ] Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?
              >
              > Play more games! I now *live* with more gamers than in 2005, so this
              > should be easy to accomplish.
              >
              > Super mini session report:
              >
              > Brian J. and I played LotR: Confrontation three times last night, and
              > Bamboleo three times. (Four? I forget.) At any rate, I dominated LotR,
              > losing only a single game, and was equally decimated playing Bamboleo,
              > winning only once.
              >
              > I quite like LotR as a medium-weight two player game. It reminds me a lot
              >
              > of 2-player Shipwrecked with more tactical and strategic decisions as a
              > result of the board, while being quite obviously like a mini-Stratego
              > variant. I do keep forgetting key rules in the game, though, and ending
              > up dead as a result.
              >
              > I did have a lot of fun playing Bamboleo, which is admittedly as much a
              > toy as a game. Dexterity games aren't good all the time, but Bamboleo
              > makes me think I don't understand physics very well sometimes!
              >
              > --
              > John

            • Tery Noseworthy
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                It's not as bad as having sharp needles put into your eyeballs . . .. . .

                Actually, it isn't that bad - there's just not much there.

                Tery

                On 2/1/06, W. Eric Martin <eric@...> wrote:

                > Tery Noseworthy wrote:
                > > My gamimg goal is to play all of the games that we own that we have
                > > not yet played. <snip>
                >
                > That's right -- I need to add "learning the rules for Meltdown" to my
                > list of goals. Can it really be that bad? Time will tell...
                >
                > Eric-4
                >

                > --
                > W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
                > "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny
                > Zamyatin

              • Mark J. Edwards
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                  At 02:08 AM 2/1/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
                  >In 2005, Phil Alberg at GSG adopted Jon Theys' suggested alphabetic
                  >attack to his pile of unplayed games. Each fortnight brought a new
                  >letter -- and a new pile of games -- to the table, and I joined in,
                  >bringing out such titles as Ausbrecher AG, The Bucket King, Orbit, and
                  >OD (which still went unplayed).
                  >
                  >For 2006, I thought I'd attempt a different goal, one equally pointless
                  >in the larger scale of things but compelling enough to focus my mind for
                  >the next twelve months. That goal:
                  >
                  ><snip>
                  >Does anyone else have gaming goals for 2006 that they'd like to share?

                  Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
                  the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
                  alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
                  in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
                  what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

                  That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
                  movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

                  Mark

                  "Logan... you renewed!"
                  Francis-7
                • W. Eric Martin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Mark J. Edwards wrote:
                    > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
                    > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
                    > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
                    > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
                    > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.

                    Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
                    or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
                    tesseract or somesuch.

                    > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little auction/tactical
                    > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.

                    That's another game I really need to try soon...

                    Eric-4

                    --
                    W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
                    "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
                  • Mark Edwards
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                      At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
                      >Mark J. Edwards wrote:
                      > > Thin the herd. I'm starting to go through my collection and selling
                      > > the games I know I'll never play. Which is really sad in some cases, but
                      > > alas there's only so much time in the day. So <SHILL ALERT!!!> if you're
                      > > in the market for games, old and new, wargames, euros, etc. go check out
                      > > what I'm selling over on BoardGameGeek.
                      >
                      >Mark, you have lots of crazy stuff for sale that I've never heard of --
                      >or even recall seeing in your closets, for that matter. Must be a
                      >tesseract or somesuch.

                      Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                      closets), but now I think they need to find a better home. I actually will
                      have a hard time parting with some of them, wacky though they may be.

                      Mark

                      I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
                      Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
                      PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
                      Homer Simpson
                    • Mark Edwards
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                        At 01:43 PM 2/2/2006, W. Eric Martin wrote:
                        > > That and play Marracash more often. That wonky little
                        > auction/tactical
                        > > movement game appeals to me for some bizarre reason.
                        >
                        >That's another game I really need to try soon...

                        It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                        learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                        the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                        shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                        yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                        colors of meeples. Doh!

                        Mark

                        I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
                        Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
                        PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
                        Homer Simpson
                      • Joe J. Rushanan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Mark,

                          I would like 1863 if it is complete ($20, right?) . I assume it is the old
                          Parker Brothers(?) game with plastic pieces. Perhaps we can add it to the
                          meeple order?

                          thanks much,
                          JoeJ

                          --
                          Joe J. Rushanan "Board Gamers Never Are"

                        • Mark Edwards
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                            http://tinyurl.com/behef (let me know if that doesn't work!)

                            I should've mentioned that my username is "DangerMouse" so that it'd be
                            easier to find what I'm selling over on BGG.

                            Feel free to use the BGG system to buy, submit offers, etc. so those fine
                            gents get their piece of the action.

                            I'll be adding stuff as time goes on (i.e. as I dig stuff out of my storage
                            bins and spot stuff that I'll never play in my closet).

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                              Mark Edwards wrote:
                              > Yeah, it's stuff that I've hidden away from the wife (not in the
                              > closets), <snip>

                              Hmm, that sounds familiar. After all, if she's not going to play it,
                              then the space it takes up doesn't count, right?

                              Mark followed up with this about Marracash:
                              > It's one of those games I play once a year, and forget everything I
                              > learned about it in between. For instance in our session on Tuesday night
                              > the winner (young Bob) wiped the floor with us as he had the only yellow
                              > shop for far too long and after the game we realized that there were more
                              > yellow meeples running around (thus more chance for profit) than the other
                              > colors of meeples. Doh!

                              And to take this thread full circle, results like this are precisely
                              what I hope to avoid this year by playing games at least twice. My first
                              attempt at Mexica, for example, gave me plenty to work with during my
                              second play a week later in which I surprised everyone (twice!) by
                              spending extra action points and bringing the round to a close.

                              The experience with Primordial Soup has proved quite so helpful yet, but
                              at least now I know to avoid the combination of Substitution and
                              Struggle for Survival.

                              Eric-4