Anybody know anybody in the Bay area?

  • mcmonkey819
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
      I'm a recently displaced lurker. i moved to the greater San Francisco
      Bay area about 6 months ago and am looking for a (good) gaming group in
      this area. I've tried one in downtown Oakland, but it didn't hold up
      to the standard set by my attendence to SSG and UG. For one, i think I
      was just about the only one old enough to vote or buy beer. And the
      attendees were way too nice, I played an entire game of Who's the Boss
      without a single unhappy person :)

      I'm unlikely to find a group quite like SSG (imagine another gamer just
      like Dave B wandering around somewhere out there....*shudder*), but if
      anyone on the list knows of someone involved in a post-adolescent game
      group out my way (who wouldn't mind adding 1 more) please feel free to
      email me.

      Go Pats!
      Chris Cenotti
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
        At 03:42 PM 1/4/2006, mcmonkey819 wrote:
        >I'm unlikely to find a group quite like SSG (imagine another gamer just
        >like Dave B wandering around somewhere out there....*shudder*), but if
        >anyone on the list knows of someone involved in a post-adolescent game
        >group out my way (who wouldn't mind adding 1 more) please feel free to
        >email me.

        Hoooohoooo, oh my, another Dave B. wandering around out there... the
        odds against it are staggering. Which brings up a good question. Why
        aren't there more Dave B's out there? I'm thinking the combination of
        charm, neurotic quirks, sense of humor, fun and gamesmanship just isn't
        easy to come by.

        Seriously, there has to be some gamers out there, it's just a matter of
        finding them. Kind of like around here. They'll come out of the woodwork
        if you give them a reason to. In every revolution there is one man with a
        vision, be that man Spock! ;-) Have you tried BGG's gamer locater?

        Mark

        I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
        Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
        PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
        Homer Simpson
      • Matt Horn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
          Adobe had an in-house group out there that recently disbanded because of
          *cough* restructuring after the merger with Macromedia. This group
          included a bunch of Adobe employees but included outside persons as
          well. They said something about moving the group to Yahoo. I didn't care
          enough to find out if that meant some Yahoo building in the SF area or
          if they meant something else.

          There's also the SF Games (www.sfgames.org) group which meets in cafes
          pretty regularly. Run by a nice guy named David Kaye. I checked them out
          one time while on a business trip and it was basically what you're
          looking for, although they tend to be older and mature, which makes them
          very much unlike GSG. They have their own yahoogroup.

          A quick google search also brought up this:
          http://www.rahul.net/pierre/SRP/SRP_local_groups.html

          Sorry to make this email so helpful.

          matt

        • Joe Huber
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
            Matt responds to Chris:

            >> Adobe had an in-house group out there that recently disbanded because of
            >> *cough* restructuring after the merger with Macromedia. This group
            >> included a bunch of Adobe employees but included outside persons as
            >> well. They said something about moving the group to Yahoo. I didn't care
            >> enough to find out if that meant some Yahoo building in the SF area or
            >> if they meant something else.

            Yes, a Yahoo building in the area. I haven't joined the Yahoo group
            before, and only got to game with the Adobe group once - which is too
            bad, since it was a good group.

            > There's also the SF Games (www.sfgames.org) group which meets in cafes
            > pretty regularly. Run by a nice guy named David Kaye. I checked them out
            > one time while on a business trip and it was basically what you're
            > looking for, although they tend to be older and mature, which makes them
            > very much unlike GSG. They have their own yahoogroup.
            >
            > A quick google search also brought up this:
            > http://www.rahul.net/pierre/SRP/SRP_local_groups.html

            I'd point to Rick Heli's sight:

            http://spotlightongames.com/list/bayarea.html

            I've gamed with the Silicon Valley Boardgamers (SVB) many times; it's
            no SSG, but it's pleasant enough.

            I've definitely recommend GamesDay, which Dave Kohr runs; it's one of
            the closest things to UG I've seen.

            Joe
          • W. Eric Martin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
              mcmonkey819 wrote:
              > I'm a recently displaced lurker. i moved to the greater San
              > Francisco Bay area about 6 months ago and am looking for a (good)
              > gaming group in this area. I've tried one in downtown Oakland, but
              > it didn't hold up to the standard set by my attendence to SSG and UG.

              Shannon Applecline on the Gone Gaming blog has mentioned lots of
              available table space and open gaming at Endgame, a retail store in
              Oakland. I moved out of Albany, CA in 1997, but I wasn't into the
              designer game scene then, so I have no other recommendations.

              Eric

              --
              W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
              "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin