Re: [Unity_Games] 10 Gaming Resolutions for the New Year

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
      --- Hstings1066@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 1/3/2006 9:02:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > cwmassey@... writes:
      >
      > During all of the holiday festivities, the UG staff has been busily
      > making preparations for UGX.2 which is less than two weeks away.
      >

      > 4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though I'm not
      > particularly good at it. Like so many skills - actually probably
      > all
      > skills, you only improve with practice. If anyone knows of a skill
      > that improves without practice, drop me a line.
      >

      > Hi all,
      > I also don't know of any skills that improve without practice...
      > especially
      > math! While UGX is less than 3 weeks away, it is certainly not less
      > than 2
      > weeks away, unless of course you read this email next week, but
      > that's another
      > matter. Sorry Craig.... just had to bust yer chops! See you all at
      > UGX. Have
      > fun.

      Canidate #2 to be plunked by an E&T temple.

      See, my plan for increasing the dialogue on the UG list is already
      working.

      Craig

      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
        At 09:01 PM 1/3/2006, Craig Massey wrote:
        >10. Post more content to the Unity Games list - Back when UG was much
        >smaller, the UG mailing list was a forum for a lot more content and
        >commentary. Things have changed. The community has grown and the list
        >serves a different function albiet an important one. There is often an
        >uptick in the commentary come UG events, but it rapidly dies down
        >following the event. I'd like to see more on this list as it is the
        >local game players that I am likely to sit at the table with the most,
        >but I can't grumble about it unless I contribute.

        This is so true. I've fallen way off in my SR postings and it's
        something I regret, if only because I get to wax poetic on my wins and
        minimize my losses, and make fun of Bob.

        >9. Thin The Herd - My collection is threatening to spiral out of
        >control. Lots of good games that just don't get played enough and are
        >taking up space that need happy homes. If you read this and can't
        >figure out there is an impending sale.....

        Too true. Gotta start selling some of the games I just will never
        play, even if they are good. My game closets are full, and that's saying
        something!

        >8. Control Impulsive Behavior - This is probably the resolution most
        >likely to be broken before UGX.2. New games keep coming out and they...

        I've really reined in the new game purchases. My group is diverse
        enough now that I often get to try before I buy. Which is nothing but good
        in many cases.

        >7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
        >easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died down
        >some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
        >things to catch one's eye.

        We've been mixing in old with new quite a lot and Phil had us doing the
        alphabet thing last year so we got to try a lot of obscure games as well as
        old favorites.
        Speaking of which, ready for a Cartel rematch at UG X 2.0?

        >6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game ...

        I've embraced this notion and have even organized a few weekend
        sessions to satiate the old mini-monster cravings. Speaking of which, my
        next quest is to play something like Time Agents, Warrior Knights or Blood
        Royale on some upcoming weekend.

        >5. Get some forgotten oldies to the table - I have my list of
        >favorites that see regular play year in and year out like Ra and Web of
        >Power. But there are other games that haven't seen the light of day
        >since the 20th century that need to be dusted off.

        Yeah, I've got to work on this too.

        >4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though ...

        Ditto.

        >3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage - just checking to see if
        >anyone is reading. I've threatened this before, but there is probably
        >a better chance of me winning a beauty contest. I'll definitely up the
        >number of games pieces I throw at people though.

        Brian S. of all people mentioned doing this last night. Of course the
        time I see Brian go into a fit of rage and flip a table will be the time to
        kiss my loved ones goodbye because it'll be Armageddon.

        >2. Revisit old friends - Not only are there games that don't get
        >played enough, but there are some people out there in the UG community
        >that I had the chance to play games with more often in less hectic
        >times. This really needs to be rectified. First stop south of the
        >Mass Pike in 06 - GSG. Phil and company, you've been warned!

        Don't threaten us!

        >1. Play more games - A wish I'm sure everyone shares. FYI - this only
        >seems like it contradicts #6. My game playing hit a six year low in
        >2005. Truth be told, the numbers have shown a steady drop every year
        >since 1999. All things considered, I get to participate in the hobby I
        >enjoy more than any other, but I still would like to play more games
        >with more friends. I can't think of a better place to start than UGX.2

        I'm starting to get psyched about UG X also.

        Mark

        I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
        Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
        PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
        Homer Simpson
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...> wrote:
          > This is so true. I've fallen way off in my SR postings and it's
          > something I regret, if only because I get to wax poetic on my wins
          > and
          > minimize my losses, and make fun of Bob.

          An admirable goal - especially the making fun of Bob part.

          > >7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
          > >easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died
          > down
          > >some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
          > >things to catch one's eye.
          >
          > We've been mixing in old with new quite a lot and Phil had us
          > doing the
          > alphabet thing last year so we got to try a lot of obscure games as
          > well as
          > old favorites.
          > Speaking of which, ready for a Cartel rematch at UG X 2.0?

          Absolutely - I forgot how good that game is. I'm still irritated that
          you somehow matched two of my bids in that game. Maybe you'll be the
          first person I throw game pieces at in '06.

          > >6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game ...
          >
          > I've embraced this notion and have even organized a few weekend
          > sessions to satiate the old mini-monster cravings. Speaking of
          > which, my
          > next quest is to play something like Time Agents, Warrior Knights or
          > Blood
          > Royale on some upcoming weekend.

          Count me in for some weekend. Die Macher is still top of my list.

          > >2. Revisit old friends - Not only are there games that don't get
          > >played enough, but there are some people out there in the UG
          > community
          > >that I had the chance to play games with more often in less hectic
          > >times. This really needs to be rectified. First stop south of the
          > >Mass Pike in 06 - GSG. Phil and company, you've been warned!
          >
          > Don't threaten us!

          Its a promise really. I'd love to be able to get to GSG on a regular
          basis. I read the session reports with envy. Too bad you clowns have
          the geography all screwed up.

          Craig

          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Brian Joughin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
            > Count me in for some weekend. Die Macher is still top of my list.

            Now there's a game _I'M_ itching to try out.
          • Pitt Crandlemire
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
              At 09:01 PM 1/3/2006, Craig Massey wrote:

              >10. Post more content to the Unity Games list

              Good! We should all do that. (Note: "we" = not-Pitt...)

              >9. Thin The Herd

              Hey! This is a G-rated list. Or, oh, you meant your game
              collection. In that case, I'm with you 100%. In fact, aren't you
              already working on thinning my herd, too?

              >8. Control Impulsive Behavior

              You better! I told you those high school girls aren't legal no
              matter how hot they look! PTO conferences aren't supposed to bail
              hearings you now...
              Hey, BTW you should cut down on buying games on the spur of the moment, too.

              >7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
              >easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died down
              >some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
              >things to catch one's eye.

              Says he who still has a stack of new Essen games to wade through. (I
              share the sentiment, though.)

              >6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game - When push comes
              >to shove, should anyone really care whether they play two one hour
              >games or one two hour game if they only have a two hour window in which
              >to play them?

              I absolutely agree. The thing with longer games, though, is that
              they usually require advance planning to ensure a consensual desire
              to play and, since they don't get played as often, advance review of
              the rules in order to avoid time wastage.

              >5. Get some forgotten oldies to the table - I have my list of
              >favorites that see regular play year in and year out like Ra and Web of
              >Power. But there are other games that haven't seen the light of day
              >since the 20th century that need to be dusted off.

              Ditto my comments above.

              >4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though I'm not
              >particularly good at it.

              Oh, false modesty ill suits you, M'sieu Massey. I, for one, always
              enjoy your gaming essays. I encourage you once again to spend more
              time writing (say, when you give your class an unexpected pop quiz?
              screw the little bastards; make 'em work - they're not listening to you anyway)

              >3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage

              Yeah, that's why we all secretly refer to you as Crazy Craig.

              OK, picture this: Craig, Pitt, Alan, Mike Schloth, and Dave B are
              playing a 10-hour game of Civ when one player seriously screws up and
              effectively throws the game to another. Who's *most* and *least*
              likely to flip the table? (I thought so...)

              >there is probably a better chance of me winning a beauty contest.

              And the Second Runner-Up, Best Looking HS History Teacher, 3rd Floor,
              Salem HS is: Craig Massey!

              >2. Revisit old friends

              Good idea. Your new friends are already tired of you. (Better call
              first, though. Rumor has it that you're persona non grata in certain
              South Shore communities.)

              >1. Play more games - A wish I'm sure everyone shares. FYI - this only
              >seems like it contradicts #6. My game playing hit a six year low in
              >2005.

              Yeah, what happened to that whole "I'll have all summer to play
              games" thing? You made it to fewer game nights after you left your
              real job than before. We missed ya!

              -Pitt
            • Matt Horn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                > >3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage
                >
                > Yeah, that's why we all secretly refer to you as Crazy Craig.
                >
                > OK, picture this: Craig, Pitt, Alan, Mike Schloth, and Dave B
                > are playing a 10-hour game of Civ when one player seriously
                > screws up and effectively throws the game to another. Who's
                > *most* and *least* likely to flip the table? (I thought so...)

                Easy. Walter!

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Craig Massey wrote:

                  >10. Post more content to the Unity Games list

                  Same here... I look back at 2005 and there are a lot of posts by me drumming
                  up support for UG events but I'd like to post more content about the SSG
                  sessions and some other enjoyable games I've played here, there and
                  elsewhere.

                  >9. Thin The Herd - My collection is threatening to spiral out of control.

                  I did this in late 2004 and 2005. Both years I sold more games than I bought
                  (well... it was about even for 2004 perhaps but 2005 I sold 50+ games and
                  bought only 5 or 6). It's nice to have the shelf space back.

                  >7. Play favorite games more -

                  I've definitely made an attempt to get my favs to the table in 2005 - Union
                  Pacific, Torres, Ricochet Robot, Acquire, etc. Games that didn't see much
                  action in 2004. Cleaning the closets has helped with this.

                  Mark wrote:
                  > I'm starting to get psyched about UG X also.

                  As am I!

                  daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
                  Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - January 21, 2005 Waltham, MA
                  http://www.unitygames.org/ugX2/ugX2.htm
                • Bob Sumner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                    > This is so true. I've fallen way off in my SR postings and it's
                    > something I regret, if only because I get to wax poetic on my wins
                    > and
                    > minimize my losses, and make fun of Bob.

                    An admirable goal - especially the making fun of Bob part.

                    Note to Mark Edwards --- please bring your solid wood dice tower
                    to UG-X 2.0 so i can throw it at Craig !!!
                    Bob Sumner

                  • Craig Massey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                      --- Bob Sumner <robertp.sumner@...> wrote:
                      > Note to Mark Edwards --- please bring your solid wood dice tower
                      > to UG-X 2.0 so i can throw it at Craig !!!
                      > Bob Sumner

                      But what will you throw at Mark?

                      Craig W. Massey
                      cwmassey@...

                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      dsl.yahoo.com
                    • Bob Sumner
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                        his Quandry tiles !! --- a game he is sure to bring with him
                        bob sumner
                        > Note to Mark Edwards --- please bring your solid wood dice tower
                        > to UG-X 2.0 so i can throw it at Craig !!!
                        > Bob Sumner

                        But what will you throw at Mark?

                        Craig W. Massey
                        cwmassey@...

                      • W. Eric Martin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Mark Edwards wrote:

                          > At 09:01 PM 1/3/2006, Craig Massey wrote:
                          >> 3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage <snip>
                          >
                          > Brian S. of all people mentioned doing this last night. Of course
                          > the time I see Brian go into a fit of rage and flip a table will be
                          > the time to kiss my loved ones goodbye because it'll be Armageddon.

                          Even better, he should be able to punch right through it. We'll have to
                          arrange a demonstration at UG X.

                          Eric-4

                          --
                          W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
                          "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
                            Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:

                            >OK, picture this: Craig, Pitt, Alan, Mike Schloth,
                            >and Dave B are playing a 10-hour game of Civ when
                            >one player seriously screws up and effectively
                            >throws the game to another. Who's *most* and *least*
                            >likely to flip the table? (I thought so...)

                            After thinking about this for far too long I'm going to take a
                            stab at it... it's really difficult at the top end - almost a
                            4-way tie for most likely... but I'll go with... Mike.

                            Of course I'm least likely to flip over the table ;)

                            Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
                            daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)