Re: [Unity_Games] 5 & 10 List, YiR

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      Phil Alberg wrote:
      > Of the 201 unique titles, 101 were played a total of one time each.
      > Is this typical?

      Here's how I stacked up in that regard: Single plays on 91 titles, and
      multiple plays on 118 titles. So roughly half-and-half like you with
      lots of amazing titles falling on the single play list: Age of Steam,
      San Juan, El Grande, Breaking Away, Wizard, Medici (played on Dec. 30),
      and many more along with dogs like Wise and Otherwise, Killer Bunnies,
      and Moby Pick. (I can't believe you played that game more than once!)

      I'm not sure whether that's typical, but other stats make it seem
      likely. Look at the record of "total plays" for nearly any game on the
      Geek and you'll see that on average half of the people who have played
      the game have played it only once:

      *On Big Boss -- a game I'm looking to buy since I can no longer play
      Mark's copy -- 34 people have recorded playing it, with 21 listing only
      one play.

      *Expedition has been played by 113 people, with 67 of them playing only
      once.

      *Die Fugger has been played by 148 people, with 81 playing only once.

      *Magna Grecia: 139 players, 88 one-time players.

      Geek users are not the sum of all players, but the numbers are still
      interesting to consider. The totals skew more towards multi-time players
      on more popular games, but even on Puerto Rico, 1088 users have recorded
      playing the game more than once, while 551 have played it only once -- a
      2-1 ratio.

      > <snip> Other omissions that I'm sad to admit
      > include: Call My Bluff, Die Fugger, El Grande, Expedition, For Sale,
      > HeroScape (how could I have missed this -- my sons always seem to have
      > it set up...), KK&K, Magna Grecia, Memoir'44, Tahuantinsuyu (missed it
      > ]this[ much when two others joined us after the rules explanation),
      > Traders of Genoa, and Viking Fury.

      That's right -- Magna Grecia is yet another game I must buy for myself
      now that I'm several hours away from the GSG copy (aka yours).

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin