5 & 10 List, YiR

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      Games that I played 10 or more times in 2005:

      Chicken Cha Cha Cha
      Coda
      Diamant
      Disney Magic Kingdom Game (ugh!)
      Guess Who
      Ubongo
      Volle Hutte
      Zirkus Flohcati

      Games that I played 5 - 9 times:

      Buggo
      Crokinole
      Europa Tour
      Glory to Rome
      Gracias
      Gulo Gulo
      Kayanak
      Klunker
      Lost Valley
      Mole in the Hole
      Reef Encounter
      Santiago
      Walk the Dogs

      Just missing the cut at 4 plays:

      Fjords
      Magic Hill
      Moby Pick
      Oltremare
      Penguin Ultimatum
      Quandary
      Rosenkonig
      Schicki Micki
      Shadows Over Camelot

      Year in Review:

      I played 201 unique games, 84 of which were new to me, a total of 552
      times. I played games on 197 different days. Although the unique
      game total is slightly up from last year (186), the other numbers are
      down (91 new games, 646 total games, 218 game dates in 2004). I am
      not overly concerned, as I still have a strong craving to play games.
      Yet I had hoped that my total plays would have tracked a little
      better. Must...Play...More...Games.

      Of the 201 unique titles, 101 were played a total of one time each.
      Is this typical?

      There are 102 game titles I played in 2004 that I did not play in
      2005. The most glaring omissions are Ticket to Ride (13 plays in
      2004, 0 playes in 2005) and Die Sieben Siegel (11 in 2004, 0 in 2005).
      I enjoy both of these games, so it must be that these were overlooked
      in favor of shiny new games. I'll have to make sure these titles make
      it to the table real soon. Other omissions that I'm sad to admit
      include: Call My Bluff, Die Fugger, El Grande, Expedition, For Sale,
      HeroScape (how could I have missed this -- my sons always seem to have
      it set up...), KK&K, Magna Grecia, Memoir'44, Tahuantinsuyu (missed it
      ]this[ much when two others joined us after the rules explanation),
      Traders of Genoa, and Viking Fury.

      There are 61 games that I've previously played that didn't see the
      light of day in either 2004 or 2005! The ones I miss most include:
      Carcassonne, E&T, Medina, Seafarers of Catan (once a lunchtime
      staple), and Sunda to Sahul.

      I think that 2006 will be the year to revisit old friends.

      Best Wishes for a fun-filled New Year!!

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia
    • W. Eric Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Phil Alberg wrote:
        > Of the 201 unique titles, 101 were played a total of one time each.
        > Is this typical?

        Here's how I stacked up in that regard: Single plays on 91 titles, and
        multiple plays on 118 titles. So roughly half-and-half like you with
        lots of amazing titles falling on the single play list: Age of Steam,
        San Juan, El Grande, Breaking Away, Wizard, Medici (played on Dec. 30),
        and many more along with dogs like Wise and Otherwise, Killer Bunnies,
        and Moby Pick. (I can't believe you played that game more than once!)

        I'm not sure whether that's typical, but other stats make it seem
        likely. Look at the record of "total plays" for nearly any game on the
        Geek and you'll see that on average half of the people who have played
        the game have played it only once:

        *On Big Boss -- a game I'm looking to buy since I can no longer play
        Mark's copy -- 34 people have recorded playing it, with 21 listing only
        one play.

        *Expedition has been played by 113 people, with 67 of them playing only
        once.

        *Die Fugger has been played by 148 people, with 81 playing only once.

        *Magna Grecia: 139 players, 88 one-time players.

        Geek users are not the sum of all players, but the numbers are still
        interesting to consider. The totals skew more towards multi-time players
        on more popular games, but even on Puerto Rico, 1088 users have recorded
        playing the game more than once, while 551 have played it only once -- a
        2-1 ratio.

        > <snip> Other omissions that I'm sad to admit
        > include: Call My Bluff, Die Fugger, El Grande, Expedition, For Sale,
        > HeroScape (how could I have missed this -- my sons always seem to have
        > it set up...), KK&K, Magna Grecia, Memoir'44, Tahuantinsuyu (missed it
        > ]this[ much when two others joined us after the rules explanation),
        > Traders of Genoa, and Viking Fury.

        That's right -- Magna Grecia is yet another game I must buy for myself
        now that I'm several hours away from the GSG copy (aka yours).

        Eric-4

        --
        W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
        "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin