10 Gaming Resolutions for the New Year

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2006
      Happy New Year! I trust that everyone had a wonderful holiday season.
      During all of the holiday festivities, the UG staff has been busily
      making preparations for UGX.2 which is less than two weeks away. Dave
      B. has promised to camp out in the lobby of the Sheraton Framingham in
      order to make sure it is open the day of the event. Beyond that, there
      are a number of things coming together to make UGX.2 a great day for
      everyone.

      Over the next two weeks, I hope to post a few top 10 lists to the UG
      list to prime everyone for the big day. Whether these lists accomplish
      this or not remains to be seen. Knowing this, remember the new year is
      a great time to update spam filters as well.

      So here is the first list leading up to the most anticipated UG event
      ever - Craig's Top 10 Gaming Resolutions for the New Year.

      10. Post more content to the Unity Games list - Back when UG was much
      smaller, the UG mailing list was a forum for a lot more content and
      commentary. Things have changed. The community has grown and the list
      serves a different function albiet an important one. There is often an
      uptick in the commentary come UG events, but it rapidly dies down
      following the event. I'd like to see more on this list as it is the
      local game players that I am likely to sit at the table with the most,
      but I can't grumble about it unless I contribute.

      9. Thin The Herd - My collection is threatening to spiral out of
      control. Lots of good games that just don't get played enough and are
      taking up space that need happy homes. If you read this and can't
      figure out there is an impending sale.....

      8. Control Impulsive Behavior - This is probably the resolution most
      likely to be broken before UGX.2. New games keep coming out and they
      keep finding a way into my collection. There has got to be some group
      therapy out there for this. Unfortunately, my insurance probably
      wouldn't pay for it.

      7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
      easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died down
      some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
      things to catch one's eye.

      6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game - When push comes
      to shove, should anyone really care whether they play two one hour
      games or one two hour game if they only have a two hour window in which
      to play them? If you think about it, play the game with the people
      that will give you the most pleasure in the time allowed. If you
      happen to sit down to play a three hour game and you enjoy yourself,
      you cares if you missed out on something else. Everyone repeat after
      me - quality not quantity.

      5. Get some forgotten oldies to the table - I have my list of
      favorites that see regular play year in and year out like Ra and Web of
      Power. But there are other games that haven't seen the light of day
      since the 20th century that need to be dusted off.

      4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though I'm not
      particularly good at it. Like so many skills - actually probably all
      skills, you only improve with practice. If anyone knows of a skill
      that improves without practice, drop me a line. A related resolution
      would be to improve editing what I write - starting with the next
      article/list.....

      3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage - just checking to see if
      anyone is reading. I've threatened this before, but there is probably
      a better chance of me winning a beauty contest. I'll definitely up the
      number of games pieces I throw at people though.

      2. Revisit old friends - Not only are there games that don't get
      played enough, but there are some people out there in the UG community
      that I had the chance to play games with more often in less hectic
      times. This really needs to be rectified. First stop south of the
      Mass Pike in 06 - GSG. Phil and company, you've been warned!

      1. Play more games - A wish I'm sure everyone shares. FYI - this only
      seems like it contradicts #6. My game playing hit a six year low in
      2005. Truth be told, the numbers have shown a steady drop every year
      since 1999. All things considered, I get to participate in the hobby I
      enjoy more than any other, but I still would like to play more games
      with more friends. I can't think of a better place to start than UGX.2

      See everyone in a couple of weeks.

      Craig

      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
        > 4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though
        > I'm not
        > particularly good at it.

        Lord knows that's true!

        > Like so many skills -
        > actually probably all
        > skills, you only improve with practice. If anyone
        > knows of a skill
        > that improves without practice, drop me a line.

        My skill at never being on time gets more and more
        refined on its own, with no effort whatsoever on my
        part.

        Richard

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Hstings1066@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
          In a message dated 1/3/2006 9:02:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          cwmassey@... writes:

          During all of the holiday festivities, the UG staff has been busily
          making preparations for UGX.2 which is less than two weeks away.

          4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though I'm not
          particularly good at it. Like so many skills - actually probably all
          skills, you only improve with practice. If anyone knows of a skill
          that improves without practice, drop me a line.

          Hi all,
          I also don't know of any skills that improve without practice... especially
          math! While UGX is less than 3 weeks away, it is certainly not less than 2
          weeks away, unless of course you read this email next week, but that's another
          matter. Sorry Craig.... just had to bust yer chops! See you all at UGX. Have
          fun.

          B.

        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- Richard Spoonts <Richard_BOS@...> wrote:
            > --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
            > > 4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though
            > > I'm not
            > > particularly good at it.
            >
            > Lord knows that's true!
            >
            > > Like so many skills -
            > > actually probably all
            > > skills, you only improve with practice. If anyone
            > > knows of a skill
            > > that improves without practice, drop me a line.
            >
            > My skill at never being on time gets more and more
            > refined on its own, with no effort whatsoever on my
            > part.

            Neither does your talent for being a donkey.

            > Richard

            Ladies & Gentlemen of the UG community, meet Richard Spoots - the odds
            on favorite to be the first person I throw game pieces at in 2006.

            Craig

            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
              --- Hstings1066@... wrote:
              > In a message dated 1/3/2006 9:02:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > cwmassey@... writes:
              >
              > During all of the holiday festivities, the UG staff has been busily
              > making preparations for UGX.2 which is less than two weeks away.
              >

              > 4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though I'm not
              > particularly good at it. Like so many skills - actually probably
              > all
              > skills, you only improve with practice. If anyone knows of a skill
              > that improves without practice, drop me a line.
              >

              > Hi all,
              > I also don't know of any skills that improve without practice...
              > especially
              > math! While UGX is less than 3 weeks away, it is certainly not less
              > than 2
              > weeks away, unless of course you read this email next week, but
              > that's another
              > matter. Sorry Craig.... just had to bust yer chops! See you all at
              > UGX. Have
              > fun.

              Canidate #2 to be plunked by an E&T temple.

              See, my plan for increasing the dialogue on the UG list is already
              working.

              Craig

              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                At 09:01 PM 1/3/2006, Craig Massey wrote:
                >10. Post more content to the Unity Games list - Back when UG was much
                >smaller, the UG mailing list was a forum for a lot more content and
                >commentary. Things have changed. The community has grown and the list
                >serves a different function albiet an important one. There is often an
                >uptick in the commentary come UG events, but it rapidly dies down
                >following the event. I'd like to see more on this list as it is the
                >local game players that I am likely to sit at the table with the most,
                >but I can't grumble about it unless I contribute.

                This is so true. I've fallen way off in my SR postings and it's
                something I regret, if only because I get to wax poetic on my wins and
                minimize my losses, and make fun of Bob.

                >9. Thin The Herd - My collection is threatening to spiral out of
                >control. Lots of good games that just don't get played enough and are
                >taking up space that need happy homes. If you read this and can't
                >figure out there is an impending sale.....

                Too true. Gotta start selling some of the games I just will never
                play, even if they are good. My game closets are full, and that's saying
                something!

                >8. Control Impulsive Behavior - This is probably the resolution most
                >likely to be broken before UGX.2. New games keep coming out and they...

                I've really reined in the new game purchases. My group is diverse
                enough now that I often get to try before I buy. Which is nothing but good
                in many cases.

                >7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
                >easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died down
                >some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
                >things to catch one's eye.

                We've been mixing in old with new quite a lot and Phil had us doing the
                alphabet thing last year so we got to try a lot of obscure games as well as
                old favorites.
                Speaking of which, ready for a Cartel rematch at UG X 2.0?

                >6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game ...

                I've embraced this notion and have even organized a few weekend
                sessions to satiate the old mini-monster cravings. Speaking of which, my
                next quest is to play something like Time Agents, Warrior Knights or Blood
                Royale on some upcoming weekend.

                >5. Get some forgotten oldies to the table - I have my list of
                >favorites that see regular play year in and year out like Ra and Web of
                >Power. But there are other games that haven't seen the light of day
                >since the 20th century that need to be dusted off.

                Yeah, I've got to work on this too.

                >4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though ...

                Ditto.

                >3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage - just checking to see if
                >anyone is reading. I've threatened this before, but there is probably
                >a better chance of me winning a beauty contest. I'll definitely up the
                >number of games pieces I throw at people though.

                Brian S. of all people mentioned doing this last night. Of course the
                time I see Brian go into a fit of rage and flip a table will be the time to
                kiss my loved ones goodbye because it'll be Armageddon.

                >2. Revisit old friends - Not only are there games that don't get
                >played enough, but there are some people out there in the UG community
                >that I had the chance to play games with more often in less hectic
                >times. This really needs to be rectified. First stop south of the
                >Mass Pike in 06 - GSG. Phil and company, you've been warned!

                Don't threaten us!

                >1. Play more games - A wish I'm sure everyone shares. FYI - this only
                >seems like it contradicts #6. My game playing hit a six year low in
                >2005. Truth be told, the numbers have shown a steady drop every year
                >since 1999. All things considered, I get to participate in the hobby I
                >enjoy more than any other, but I still would like to play more games
                >with more friends. I can't think of a better place to start than UGX.2

                I'm starting to get psyched about UG X also.

                Mark

                I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
                Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
                PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
                Homer Simpson
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                  --- Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...> wrote:
                  > This is so true. I've fallen way off in my SR postings and it's
                  > something I regret, if only because I get to wax poetic on my wins
                  > and
                  > minimize my losses, and make fun of Bob.

                  An admirable goal - especially the making fun of Bob part.

                  > >7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
                  > >easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died
                  > down
                  > >some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
                  > >things to catch one's eye.
                  >
                  > We've been mixing in old with new quite a lot and Phil had us
                  > doing the
                  > alphabet thing last year so we got to try a lot of obscure games as
                  > well as
                  > old favorites.
                  > Speaking of which, ready for a Cartel rematch at UG X 2.0?

                  Absolutely - I forgot how good that game is. I'm still irritated that
                  you somehow matched two of my bids in that game. Maybe you'll be the
                  first person I throw game pieces at in '06.

                  > >6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game ...
                  >
                  > I've embraced this notion and have even organized a few weekend
                  > sessions to satiate the old mini-monster cravings. Speaking of
                  > which, my
                  > next quest is to play something like Time Agents, Warrior Knights or
                  > Blood
                  > Royale on some upcoming weekend.

                  Count me in for some weekend. Die Macher is still top of my list.

                  > >2. Revisit old friends - Not only are there games that don't get
                  > >played enough, but there are some people out there in the UG
                  > community
                  > >that I had the chance to play games with more often in less hectic
                  > >times. This really needs to be rectified. First stop south of the
                  > >Mass Pike in 06 - GSG. Phil and company, you've been warned!
                  >
                  > Don't threaten us!

                  Its a promise really. I'd love to be able to get to GSG on a regular
                  basis. I read the session reports with envy. Too bad you clowns have
                  the geography all screwed up.

                  Craig

                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                • Brian Joughin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                    > Count me in for some weekend. Die Macher is still top of my list.

                    Now there's a game _I'M_ itching to try out.
                  • Pitt Crandlemire
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                      At 09:01 PM 1/3/2006, Craig Massey wrote:

                      >10. Post more content to the Unity Games list

                      Good! We should all do that. (Note: "we" = not-Pitt...)

                      >9. Thin The Herd

                      Hey! This is a G-rated list. Or, oh, you meant your game
                      collection. In that case, I'm with you 100%. In fact, aren't you
                      already working on thinning my herd, too?

                      >8. Control Impulsive Behavior

                      You better! I told you those high school girls aren't legal no
                      matter how hot they look! PTO conferences aren't supposed to bail
                      hearings you now...
                      Hey, BTW you should cut down on buying games on the spur of the moment, too.

                      >7. Play favorite games more - This is the time of year when it is
                      >easier to get old favorites to the table. The Essen buzz has died down
                      >some and until April/May, there just aren't as many new and shiny
                      >things to catch one's eye.

                      Says he who still has a stack of new Essen games to wade through. (I
                      share the sentiment, though.)

                      >6. Worry less about the time it takes to play a game - When push comes
                      >to shove, should anyone really care whether they play two one hour
                      >games or one two hour game if they only have a two hour window in which
                      >to play them?

                      I absolutely agree. The thing with longer games, though, is that
                      they usually require advance planning to ensure a consensual desire
                      to play and, since they don't get played as often, advance review of
                      the rules in order to avoid time wastage.

                      >5. Get some forgotten oldies to the table - I have my list of
                      >favorites that see regular play year in and year out like Ra and Web of
                      >Power. But there are other games that haven't seen the light of day
                      >since the 20th century that need to be dusted off.

                      Ditto my comments above.

                      >4. Write about games more - I enjoy writing though I'm not
                      >particularly good at it.

                      Oh, false modesty ill suits you, M'sieu Massey. I, for one, always
                      enjoy your gaming essays. I encourage you once again to spend more
                      time writing (say, when you give your class an unexpected pop quiz?
                      screw the little bastards; make 'em work - they're not listening to you anyway)

                      >3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage

                      Yeah, that's why we all secretly refer to you as Crazy Craig.

                      OK, picture this: Craig, Pitt, Alan, Mike Schloth, and Dave B are
                      playing a 10-hour game of Civ when one player seriously screws up and
                      effectively throws the game to another. Who's *most* and *least*
                      likely to flip the table? (I thought so...)

                      >there is probably a better chance of me winning a beauty contest.

                      And the Second Runner-Up, Best Looking HS History Teacher, 3rd Floor,
                      Salem HS is: Craig Massey!

                      >2. Revisit old friends

                      Good idea. Your new friends are already tired of you. (Better call
                      first, though. Rumor has it that you're persona non grata in certain
                      South Shore communities.)

                      >1. Play more games - A wish I'm sure everyone shares. FYI - this only
                      >seems like it contradicts #6. My game playing hit a six year low in
                      >2005.

                      Yeah, what happened to that whole "I'll have all summer to play
                      games" thing? You made it to fewer game nights after you left your
                      real job than before. We missed ya!

                      -Pitt
                    • Matt Horn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                        > >3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage
                        >
                        > Yeah, that's why we all secretly refer to you as Crazy Craig.
                        >
                        > OK, picture this: Craig, Pitt, Alan, Mike Schloth, and Dave B
                        > are playing a 10-hour game of Civ when one player seriously
                        > screws up and effectively throws the game to another. Who's
                        > *most* and *least* likely to flip the table? (I thought so...)

                        Easy. Walter!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Craig Massey wrote:

                          >10. Post more content to the Unity Games list

                          Same here... I look back at 2005 and there are a lot of posts by me drumming
                          up support for UG events but I'd like to post more content about the SSG
                          sessions and some other enjoyable games I've played here, there and
                          elsewhere.

                          >9. Thin The Herd - My collection is threatening to spiral out of control.

                          I did this in late 2004 and 2005. Both years I sold more games than I bought
                          (well... it was about even for 2004 perhaps but 2005 I sold 50+ games and
                          bought only 5 or 6). It's nice to have the shelf space back.

                          >7. Play favorite games more -

                          I've definitely made an attempt to get my favs to the table in 2005 - Union
                          Pacific, Torres, Ricochet Robot, Acquire, etc. Games that didn't see much
                          action in 2004. Cleaning the closets has helped with this.

                          Mark wrote:
                          > I'm starting to get psyched about UG X also.

                          As am I!

                          daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
                          Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - January 21, 2005 Waltham, MA
                          http://www.unitygames.org/ugX2/ugX2.htm
                        • Bob Sumner
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                            > This is so true. I've fallen way off in my SR postings and it's
                            > something I regret, if only because I get to wax poetic on my wins
                            > and
                            > minimize my losses, and make fun of Bob.

                            An admirable goal - especially the making fun of Bob part.

                            Note to Mark Edwards --- please bring your solid wood dice tower
                            to UG-X 2.0 so i can throw it at Craig !!!
                            Bob Sumner

                          • Craig Massey
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                              --- Bob Sumner <robertp.sumner@...> wrote:
                              > Note to Mark Edwards --- please bring your solid wood dice tower
                              > to UG-X 2.0 so i can throw it at Craig !!!
                              > Bob Sumner

                              But what will you throw at Mark?

                              Craig W. Massey
                              cwmassey@...

                              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                              dsl.yahoo.com
                            • Bob Sumner
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                                his Quandry tiles !! --- a game he is sure to bring with him
                                bob sumner
                                > Note to Mark Edwards --- please bring your solid wood dice tower
                                > to UG-X 2.0 so i can throw it at Craig !!!
                                > Bob Sumner

                                But what will you throw at Mark?

                                Craig W. Massey
                                cwmassey@...

                              • W. Eric Martin
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                                  Mark Edwards wrote:

                                  > At 09:01 PM 1/3/2006, Craig Massey wrote:
                                  >> 3. Flip over a game table in a fit of rage <snip>
                                  >
                                  > Brian S. of all people mentioned doing this last night. Of course
                                  > the time I see Brian go into a fit of rage and flip a table will be
                                  > the time to kiss my loved ones goodbye because it'll be Armageddon.

                                  Even better, he should be able to punch right through it. We'll have to
                                  arrange a demonstration at UG X.

                                  Eric-4

                                  --
                                  W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
                                  "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 6, 2006
                                    Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:

                                    >OK, picture this: Craig, Pitt, Alan, Mike Schloth,
                                    >and Dave B are playing a 10-hour game of Civ when
                                    >one player seriously screws up and effectively
                                    >throws the game to another. Who's *most* and *least*
                                    >likely to flip the table? (I thought so...)

                                    After thinking about this for far too long I'm going to take a
                                    stab at it... it's really difficult at the top end - almost a
                                    4-way tie for most likely... but I'll go with... Mike.

                                    Of course I'm least likely to flip over the table ;)

                                    Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
                                    daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)