Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Way Out West

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
      Count me in too Pat. Unlike Craig I also advocate the startup pieces. That puts the game in motion at the start and thus you can probably just end it 3 turns earlier at Turn 9.
      Then again I do kinda like rolling dice. When are we gonna play Samurai Swords!

      Mark

      Craig Massey wrote:

      > --- jonnypolite@... wrote:
      > > -deleting all references to Stinky Pat --
      > >
      > > I think the biggest problem is the die-based combat,
      > > and the badly
      > > written rules. I gave it some thought, because i
      > > think there's a
      > > good game buried in there, and i have to give it a
      > > try based on the
      > > theme, gotta love the theme.
      >
      > Stinky Pat (i felt the need to put the references back
      > in. I love the "bullet" combat system and will sign
      > up to try it. Getting rid of the dice is a total
      > positive. I'm not quite sure about starting with
      > cowboys and cows on the board, but that is worth
      > looking at too.

      "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
        --- Mark Edwards <dangermouse@...> wrote:
        > Count me in too Pat. Unlike Craig I also
        > advocate the startup pieces. That puts the game in
        > motion at the start and thus you can probably just
        > end it 3 turns earlier at Turn 9.
        > Then again I do kinda like rolling dice. When
        > are we gonna play Samurai Swords!

        Good point on the startup allowing you to end in round
        9. cows and cattle at the start it is then.

        If you like rolling dice you should try Titan. They
        ulimate dice rolling slugfest. Nothing beats it.

        I'm ready to do Samurai swords anytime

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
          Craig Massey wrote:

          > If you like rolling dice you should try Titan. They
          > ulimate dice rolling slugfest. Nothing beats it.
          >
          > I'm ready to do Samurai swords anytime

          I've tried Titan a couple of times. It's just too long for my tastes, although apparently with experienced players it can play in 3 or 4 hours. And yeah there's a mess of games that qualify as dice fests. One I have fond memories of is "War at Sea". Another I'd like to try someday, in the Titan vein but quite not as long, is Kings & Things.
          But we could fill everyone's email box with talk about dice fest games, there are plenty of them!

          Mark

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2000
            One more thing to add, I found this on the ConSimWorld website in the European Games folder...

            I asked Martin Wallace, the designer of Way Out West:

            Q: Do cattle, stagecoaches, hotels, and stores have an inherent defense of one cowboy?

            A: They have a default defence of 1, not an inherent defence. You always roll one die in defence, so an undefended store would still defend with one die roll. If there was a cowboy in the town then
            the defence would still be 1.

            So Doug & Karl have it right, and I've been playing it wrong.

            ...Fen

            So we were playing it wrong to boot. Not that I think it would've changed things much.

            Reviews on ConSimWorld range from average to positive. At least one person noted that it seemed a tad overlong.

            Mark

            jonnypolite@... wrote:

            > -deleting all references to Stinky Pat --

            <snippage>

            "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda