[Review] Memoir '44: Winter/Desert Board

  • Tom Vasel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2005
      (I assume that readers of this review already know how to play Memoir '44)

      This review will be short, simply because the expansion Memoir '44:
      Winter/Desert Board (Days of Wonder, 2005 - Richard Borg) is simply a
      new board for the game.

      Now, that's not saying anything negative about the board; it's a
      beautiful double-sided game board, of the same quality as the original
      Memoir board, with a sandy desert on one side, and a wintry plain on
      the other. The artwork is excellent; it's not simply just a large
      desert - but you can see small skeletons, etc., adding a bit of
      "flavor" to the overall picture.

      Buying this board almost requires a player to get the Eastern Front
      expansion (winter terrain tiles) and/or the Terrain Pack expansion
      (desert tiles). I mean - you were going to do that anyway, right? I
      think the reason Days of Wonder packaged them separately was so that
      players who didn't want a new board could simply use the original one.
      But for aesthetic reasons, I think it's worth it to get the new board
      - especially since it looks so good.

      The game also includes some simplified campaign rules, which allow
      players to string several battles together into a larger campaign.
      These are nice but simplistic (as the name implies). I would use them
      if I wanted to play a larger campaign, but one of the reasons I like
      Memoir is the fact that I can simply pick it up and play any battle I
      choose, and have it end in an hour or so. Blitz rules (also in
      expansion # 2) are also included, to make the Axis tanks a little more
      powerful; and these rules are used in many of the scenarios.

      Bottom line? If you want a beautiful winter/desert board, then get
      this expansion. It's that simple.

      Tom Vasel
      "Real men play board games"
      www.tomvasel.com