[SR] Sultry Game Night, 12/2: Geschenkt, Bohnanza, Exxtra, Modern Art

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2005
      A short session report this time, starting with a single round of
      Geschenkt with Brett, Linda, and Eric. I guessed poorly on one card and
      had to suck up 26 points, taking me far out of contention. Brett handled
      his chips the best, scoring a dozen or so ahead of Linda.

      Bohnanza

      Dave, Sara, Clay, Linda and I played, with me doing the rules for the
      sixth or so time. Seems like every time we play this game there's
      someone new -- or perhaps it's just that whenever we have someone new,
      we turn to Bohnanza.

      Sara proved to be incredibly cut-throat, holding the friendly Bohnanza
      vibe at bay and giving away cards to one player that she had promised to
      another. Despite getting shafted by Sara multiple times, Dave bested the
      bean fields with 19 gold.

      Exxtra

      With 30 minutes to fill before the other table finished Ra, I brought
      out Exxtra, a light push-your-luck game in which the five of us rarely
      pushed our luck as much as needed to. Sara rolled numbers in the 70s
      over and over again, advancing five spaces at a time as the rest of us
      chose not to keeping rolling to cut her off. That was our undoing
      because by the time she needed only two spaces, none of us could roll
      high enough to stop her.

      Modern Art

      After reorganizing, the table of masochists started on Goa while Brett,
      Max, Clay, Linda and I opened galleries and offered up stunning works by
      some of the worst artists ever. Max insisted on a house rule of naming
      the paintings that you put up for bid, and I think this helped Linda
      enjoy the game much more than her first go. Or perhaps she merely got
      the game better after the always disastrous learning game that most
      auction games require.

      That said, Clay (in his first game) and Linda (in her second) came in a
      close one-two, 419-411, far ahead of us old pros, who stumbled badly on
      many occasions. Okay, I stumbled badly. I thought that I offered good
      paintings and received fair value in return, while buying paintings that
      always made money, yet I ended up in a solid fifth, barely cracking the
      200 mark. Someday I'll figure out how to play this damn game...

      Eric

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin