SR: PSG 11/30

  • Felix Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      A whopping 15 players showed up last night for game night - encompassing
      3 tables. It would have been a record breaking 19 had all of the maybe
      all of the regular gamers came back after the hiatus, and there were a
      few newcomers also. Its great to see more people enjoying my hosting.

      There were too many tables and games for me to keep track of. I saw
      Modern Art, Evo, Take it Easy, and FFFF (Funny Friends) being played at
      least.

      Games I participated in:

      HANSA:

      I asked Doug to bring this one since I still haven't played it (I bought
      Kogge instead). This game is much lighter than Kogge due to the fact
      that in Kogge you can move shipping lanes around and in Hansa the
      shipping routes are fixed, but its still IMHO good enough to warrant a
      look. I put it on the "maybe purchase" list. Players were Doug, Rob,
      Amy, and Me. Doug was the only one who had played before so he explained
      the rules and then we were off.

      Early on it looked like Amy and Doug were running away with the game.
      Doug made a few big scores and was placing ports all over. Amy was
      scoring gold nuggets everywhere. Rob and my markets were sitting unused.
      Short on money, I decided to score on every opportunity that I could get
      despite the fact that I was devesting in the future. Normally this is a
      bad plan. This is especially bad because I wasn't scoring very high
      barrels - there was quantity, but no quality at all... Rob was having it
      worse than me since he lost his stored barrels a few time giving way for
      no scoring AND no investing. By the end of the game I had market
      monopolies in exactly 1 city - and this one was out of the way anyway.
      And then we scored... Felix, then Amy, Doug, and Rob. I won!! Uhh.. how?

      EL CABALLERO:

      This game is such a brain burner. Its a favorite of mine but it doesn't
      get played often enough. I got Nate, Patrick, Rob, and Me to play
      "Carcassonne on steroids". It took a few turns until people figured out
      any strategy (Including myself - its been a while). What developed was a
      very large land area in the middle of the map contested by Nate, Rob,
      and Me, with very little scoring outside of it. Sadly, Patrick was out
      of the running early, so he tried getting some scrap points from ships
      and smaller land masses.

      In the end, I made two HORRIBLE tactical mistakes that would have given
      me the central land mass in two separate moment. I did take Nate out of
      the running, but Rob scooped the whole pile of points and took the game.
      Final order Rob, Nate, Felix, Patrick.

      Felix