[SR] Sultry Game Night, 11/18: Bohnanza, Time's Up, Black Vienna, more

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2005
      Linda and I had two friends from Brooklyn visiting us, but due to either
      poverty or an interest in games, they were up for a trip to Exeter and
      an immersion in Sultry Game Night.

      After a snack of cheese and crackers, we made the drive out and caught
      gamers just before the start of Modern Art. Some shuffling of players
      ensued, with some folks starting a six-player Settlers of some variety,
      while the rest of us did Bohnanza. The players were Clay, Renae, Alex
      R., Max, Linda, and Eric, with the first three being new to the game.
      Alex proved to be a hardass trader, making ridiculous offers with a
      straight face and turning Max into a bitter sourpuss in the process. Two
      blue beans for multiple soy AND something else?! No way.

      Still, once the fields were cleared for the final time, Alex managed to
      tie for the win with (surprise, surprise) Linda at 14. Linda had looked
      quite poor in the early game, but she maxed out two fields and did her
      usual wheeling and dealing. I bought a third field early so as not to
      waste two red beans, and I more than made back what I spent. Still, I
      came in fourth with 12, so I must return to learning at the feet of the
      master.

      With newbies on hand, I brought out Diamant, and we ran through the
      usual paces. Linda died repeatedly, except for one mine in which she and
      Renae netted 23 gems each. Renae didn't go empty-handed in other mines,
      though, and easily won.

      I tried Liar's Dice on the group, and it fell somewhat flat, perhaps
      because Linda and I were the only ones with experience, so people made
      outrageous bids that blew them out of the game quickly. I believe Alex
      bit it first, then Clay. I still had three dice when we got down to
      three players, and I kept rolling miracle numbers -- at least three of a
      kind -- that let me make outrageous bids that did hold up.

      Finally, we pulled Alex K. and Dave away from the just-finished Settlers
      game, and while the other four guys (Ray, Jason, Joe, Brett) took on
      Black Vienna, the eight of us did Time's Up. Linda normally shies away
      from charades-type games, but she and Renae partnered up and Team Whoop
      Ass came back from a slow first round to dominate rounds two and three
      and win by two points. The dirty celebrity this time? Allen Funt. You
      can guess the clues.

      We took off after Time's Up despite my puppy dog looks, so the rest of
      the night will have to remain a mystery until someone else reports.

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin