[SR] MVGA Holliston 2005-11-03

  • brosiuse
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2005
      MVGA meets Thursday nights at 7pm in the
      east of the center of town. Turn north on
      Church Place (which is more a driveway than
      a street) to find parking.

      We welcome visitors. We'll even
      waive the $3.00 fee for your first visit.

      Roll call: Eric, Rich, Dan

      TRANSAMERICA
      (Eric, Rich, Dan)

      Three of us were on hand promptly at 7pm at
      the Masonic Hall on Washington Street in
      Holliston. We typically start with a quick
      game while we wait for late-comers to arrive.
      Eric reached into his game tub and pulled out
      TransAmerica, a game in which you build rail
      networks, trying to connect sets of five
      cities before your opponents. The trick is
      that all the track is black, and before long
      all the players are working on one single
      communal network. In order to win you must
      get your opponents to build track that helps
      you more than the track you are building
      helps them.

      Your set of five cities is determined by a
      random card draw, and you keep your cards
      hidden until the round ends, so the only way
      to guess which cities your opponents have
      (and the ones you want to avoid) is by
      observing the track they build (or perhaps
      the expressions on their faces as they play.)
      If you have a city off in a corner, like Los
      Angeles or Portland OR, you must decide
      whether to build there alone (perhaps helping
      someone else who has Santa Fe or Medford OR)
      or wait and hope for help. It may seem like a
      game dominated by luck, but the best players
      win an astounding percentage of their games.

      In the first round, Eric and Dan were assigned New York and
      Washington DC as objectives while Rich had to reach Charleston.
      Every player must be assigned one city along the eastern
      seaboard, and Rich was hoping for a partner in building to
      the southeast, but it was not to be. Eric connected his
      cities and Dan was close behind.

      Scores after one round: Eric 13, Dan 11, Rich 10

      The second round wasn't any better for Rich, as Eric and Dan
      again shared New York and Washington. This time Dan lost only
      one point as Eric connected first again and Rich again was
      alone in the southeast. On the west coast Eric had Portland
      for the second time in a row, and he extended Dan's line to
      Helena westward to finish the connection.

      Scores after two rounds: Eric 13, Dan 10, Rich 6

      In Round 3 Eric had first placement, and he started way down
      in Arizona. He had been dealt Santa Fe, Phoenix and Los
      Angeles and knew he'd have little help in the southwest. Dan
      got stuffed on the east coast, and Rich finished his connection
      to make up a lot of ground.

      Scores after three rounds: Eric 9, Rich 6, Dan 3

      Round 4 was a disaster for Dan. In TransAmerica it's customary
      to complain loudly about your cities (if you don't, people
      wonder what's wrong,) but Dan had cities in every direction that
      forced him to build alone (maybe he just needs to learn that
      Jedi mind trick?) Rich finished his connection, dropping Dan's
      score to zero with plenty to spare, and the game ended in a tie.

      Final scores: Eric 6, Rich 6, Dan 0.

      Eric's rating: 7. I'm fascinated by this game, and by the
      amazing facility the best players have to choose the best line of
      play. I'm not an especially adept player, as my experience on
      BSW demonstrates, but I know it's by no means a game of luck.

      INDUSTRIA
      (Eric, Rich, Dan)

      No one had showed up during our first game, and in fact we would
      have only three players for the entire evening. It was time for
      a meatier game, and after some discussion we selected Industria,
      a clever auction game that many people prefer with 3 players.
      The 4-player game has just three auctions per epoch, so one
      player does not get to start an auction round in Epoch I. This
      player must play carefully to avoid disaster. The 3-player game
      has four auctions per epoch, so everyone gets to start at least
      one auction in each epoch. Many people play all five epochs
      even with 3 players, but we agreed to play just four epochs, as
      specified in the rules when there are only 3 players.

      Eric served as first auctioneer. He turned over the Quarry, the
      Well and the Sawmill. As auctioneer, you choose an item and sell
      it to the high bidder, collecting the bid, or take it at no cost
      yourself. If you sell the item you get to auction the next item,
      but if you take it yourself, the player to your left becomes the
      auctioneer. This leads to an odd auction process in which your
      opponents can at times surprise you by their choices. Eric
      auctioned the Sawmill first, receiving $3 from Dan. He then
      auctioned the Well, which Rich bought for just $1. Eric took
      the Quarry himself. The Quarry is expensive and produces no
      commodity, but offers many connection possibilities---connections
      are worth 3 VP each at the end of the game. This established a
      game-long pattern; Eric was poor but had a lot of connections
      while Dan and Rich had the money.

      Dan was the second auctioneer. He sold Rich the Quarry as Eric
      took the Construction technology and Dan the Machinery. It can
      be risky to take technologies, since they are worthless if you
      cannot obtain the needed commodities in time, but we played
      carefully and were able to build all eight of them. Eric also
      bought the Iron Mine (another tile that produces nothing but
      has a connection) and Rich the Brickworks, and Rich and Dan
      snagged the two bonus tiles. Rich's set of tiles to auction
      was relatively unattractive, getting him off to a rough start.

      Score after Epoch I: Eric 6, Rich 3, Dan 2

      In the second epoch, Dan purchased the Bank, which grants a
      discount on all future tiles (and allows bonus tiles to be built
      at no cost.) Rich took the Pottery Shop, Dan the Glassworks,
      and Eric the Ironworks, his first commodity-producing tile.
      On the technology front, Dan bought the Dam and Eric the Steam
      Engine, with Rich cleverly playing in such a way that neither
      Dan nor Eric gained a connection in technology for the epoch.
      Eric bought the Kiln tile, and could not afford to build it
      (and collect the 3 VP) during the epoch, but he already had
      one connection (Iron Mine - Ironworks) and another waiting to
      be built (Ironworks - Kiln.)

      Score after Epoch II: Eric 12, Rich 7, Dan 6

      In the third epoch, Rich took the Stock Market for a discount
      of his own. Rich had quite a collection of bonus tiles, and
      from this point on he was able to lay one down almost every
      building phase. Dan built the Automobile technology and Eric
      the Railroad, for one connection each, and Rich the Oil Field
      with its two potential Epoch IV connections. Dan built the Coke
      Works, with a 2 VP bonus from his anchor tile, and Eric finally
      got into the production business in a big way with the Steel
      Mill, the Power Plant, the Cement Works, and another 9 VP lined
      up to be scored for connections at the end of the game.

      Score after Epoch III: Eric 17, Dan 13, Rich 10

      In Epoch IV, Eric and Dan again split the technologies, Eric
      building the Spacecraft and Dan Automation. Each was worth
      8 VP to the owner; 5 VP for the tile and 3 VP for the
      associated connection. Rich got the Refinery and Dye Works
      with their connections to the Oil Field and additional bonus
      points.

      Score after Epoch IV: Eric 23, Dan 21, Rich 18

      At this point we counted the game ending points. Rich
      scored 16 for bonuses and Dan 10, while Eric had not even
      collected a single bonus tile. Eric received 21 for seven
      connections, Rich 9 for three, and Dan 6 for two. Players
      also receive 1 VP for each $3 at the end of the game; this
      gave Eric 2 more VP and Rich and Dan 1 each.

      Final scores: Eric 46, Rich 44, Dan 38.

      Eric's rating: 7. Industria is unique and challenging, and
      it can be won by using a number of different strategies. The
      tile draws introduce a considerable amount of luck; if you
      flip over unattractive tiles when it's your turn to be first
      auctioneer, it's hard to recover. Rich suffered some from
      poor tile draws, though it wasn't as bad as Dan's luck the
      last time we played Industria back on April 28.

      PUERTO RICO
      (Eric, Rich, Dan)

      We haven't played Puerto Rico very often in recent weeks, but
      it's terrific with 3 players. We selected it as our next game.
      Dan suggested that we play with *all* the expansion buildings;
      he's been playing that way at work, and it certainly forces a
      shift in your plans. Rich and Eric complained that the Forest
      House would be worthless, but that didn't bother Dan; he said
      we shouldn't buy it if we didn't think it made sense.

      Dan was chosen to be our first Governor, and he took a Quarry
      as Eric grabbed Coffee and Rich Sugar. There's no Prospector
      in the 3-player game, and with no Markets we saw that money
      would be tight. Rich and Dan purchased the two Aqueducts as
      Eric took a Small Indigo, perhaps undervaluing the extra goods
      the Aqueduct provides. Rich got Sugar going (with a Large
      Sugar Mill) and this gave him the first good trade. Eric and
      Dan were able to trade Coffee and Tobacco (respectively) soon
      thereafter, but the trading action wasn't as effective as in
      the normal game.

      Eric set his sights on a Lighthouse, thinking that the cash it
      generated would come in especially useful in this game. Dan
      saved up for a Library and a Union Hall; the Union Hall gives
      one extra VP before shipping for each pair of identical goods,
      and the Aqueduct is ideally suited to produce such pairs. Rich
      stuck closer to his knitting, purchasing a Guest House for
      worker flexibility, a black market to generate cash, the other
      Lighthouse, and (eventually) a Customs House, the only large
      building to be purchased in the game.

      Dan suffered in the shipping game despite his Union Hall; he
      did not get a Storehouse and was forced to dump many barrels
      of goods into the water. Eric spent money on a number of
      buildings that weren't quite what he wanted, ending with a
      Union Hall that paid off only once, instead of saving for
      the large building he really wanted. In the end, Rich's
      ability to avoid the distractions of the new buildings made
      the difference as he won by a fairly comfortable margin.

      Final scores:

      _____VPs__Bld__Bon__Tot
      Rich__20___22___5____47
      Eric__23___20___0____43
      Dan___14___23___0____37

      Eric's rating: 10.

      WEB OF POWER
      (Eric, Rich, Dan)

      We were all a little tired this week, so we didn't want to stay
      too long, but it didn't seem right to quit before playing at
      least one more game. Web of Power hit the spot perfectly; it
      is one of our favorite 3-player games and it takes only half an
      hour to play with 3 experienced players. Rich was chosen to be
      the first player, a position many people prefer to avoid. As
      first player you may place only one cloister in your first turn,
      and all too often your opponents pile in with two pieces each,
      so that you're crowded out before your second turn. Rich put
      his first cloister in France, the biggest country on the board
      and one that seemed almost certain to draw a crowd, but Dan went
      off on his own, playing a cloister in Lothringen, and Eric
      followed up by playing in Burgund, leaving Rich on his own in
      France (or "Frankreich" as it's called in this game.)

      Rich played two more cloisters and two advisors in Frankreich,
      but you would have thought he had leprosy as Dan and Eric
      studiously avoided the place. There are several ways to score
      VPs in Web of Power, and two of them depend on the presence of
      your opponents' pieces to build up your points. For this
      reason, it's relatively inefficient to build alone in a country.
      You'd prefer to share with an opponent or two (ideally, you'll
      have just one more cloister than they have.) If you place your
      own pieces on all 8 cloister locations in Frankreich, you get
      just 8 VPs for placing 8 pieces, but if you play 7 cloisters
      while an opponent plays 1, you get 8 VPs (the sum) for your
      7 placements while your opponent gets 7 VPs (your number) for
      placing 1 piece. Dan and Eric weren't actually trying to
      avoid Rich; they simply weren't drawing the purple cards one
      needs to play in Frankreich.

      As play continued, Rich and Dan entered England, Dan and Eric
      entered Italien, and Eric and Rich entered Aragon. Finally,
      just before the first scoring, Eric put two cloisters in
      Frankreich, scoring 2 VP at the first scoring compared with
      5 VP for Rich. Eric zipped in right after the first scoring,
      using several newly-reshuffled purple cards to grab three more
      cloisters and completing a chain of 7 cloisters. Rich was
      trying to build a network of advisors around Frankreich, but
      he had to do all the work himself. Eric and Dan sparred for
      advisor majorities in the east, with Dan winning the key race,
      placing two advisors in Italien compared with one for Eric.
      Cloisters score for you even if you have fewer than one of
      your opponents, but advisors are useless unless you have the
      most (or are at least tied for the most) in two countries
      that share an open border. Dan also completed a chain of
      his own from Schwaben through Italien and into Burgund.

      Web of Power seems like a big game, but it ends before you
      know it, and we were soon completing the final scoring. This
      was one of the closest games we've ever played.

      Final scores:

      Rich 51 = 35 for cloisters + 16 for advisors
      Dan_ 52 = 30 for cloisters + 18 for advisors + 4 for a chain
      Eric 53 = 38 for cloisters + 8 for advisors + 7 for a chain

      Eric's rating: 9. Web of Power provides about as much game
      as you can possible fit into half an hour. With experienced
      players, the various strategies (cloisters, advisors and chains)
      are well-balanced, so you must take advantage of the best
      opportunities rather than play with a pre-conceived plan.

      Eric Brosius