new to the list - gamer near porter square

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi,

      I just joined this group. I'm a long-time gamer, but mostly played
      RPGs and computer games, with some dabbling in table-top miniatures
      wargaming as well. After being very active in Plan B in the DC area
      for a few years, I moved up here a few years ago for school and have
      mostly just been playing computer games since then. About a month or
      so ago, I recently got back into other forms of gaming.

      My girlfriend gave me Arkham Horror for my birthday (I'm a Call of
      Cthulhu fan), and I finally talked her and one of my roommates into
      playing it - we had a blast, though our first game was a nine hour
      overnight session (we were learning the rules and screwed up on the
      end-game rules). So I just got into board games for the first time
      (though I did really enjoy Axis & Allies back in the day). In the
      past month, we've played Arkham Horror, Zombies!, Lost Cities, a demo
      for Lord of the Rings miniatures, the Call of Cthulhu CCG, and Magic,
      which my roommate used to play several years ago.

      I'm interested in boardgaming, miniatures or hex-based wargaming,
      RPGs, CCGs, etc. I don't yet know the rules to many board games, but
      will probably pick up on the rules pretty quickly. I've recently
      ordered several games, but several just arrived and I haven't had a
      chance to play them yet. I just dug out my boxes of Warhammer Fantasy
      minis and played a solo game and have been painting up my Lord of the
      Rings miniatures after spending a weekend at the Games Workshop store
      making Balin's Tomb terrain.

      I mostly just play games with my girlfriend and one of my roommates,
      but I'd like to game more and/or play games that they're not
      interested in. I live very near Porter Square and am looking for
      folks to game with occasionally. I see that there's a group that
      games on Wednesdays in Porter Square but I don't know if the group is
      open or closed.

      I'm fairly busy this weekend, but am generally pretty free as I'm a
      student and don't have office hours.

      I look forward to gaming with some of you!

      Thanks,
      Dan
    • Felix Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005

        > folks to game with occasionally. I see that there's a group that
        > games on Wednesdays in Porter Square but I don't know if the group is
        > open or closed.

        The group is open to all newcomers. Feel free to show up 2 weeks from
        yesterday for our next 'meeting'! (RSVP, of course).

        Felix
      • W. Eric Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
          Hi, Dan,

          Welcome to Unity Games! In case you don't know about the big upcming UG
          event -- an all-day gaming marathon on January 21, 2006 in Framingham,
          check out the UG website for details
          (http://www.unitygames.org/ugX2/ugX2.htm).

          I live in Concord, NH, so I doubt you'll want to drive up for my game
          night, but I'm sure others will contact you, or you'll meet plenty of
          local yokels at UG X. I'm teaching Showmanager in the morning from 9-11,
          and hope to see you then!

          Eric

          --
          W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
          "And neither mathematics nor death ever makes a mistake." - Yevgeny Zamyatin