Re: SR: MVGA, 11/30: We winged the Ring!

  • Dan Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
      --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Walter Hunt" <hotc@w...> wrote:

      > MVGA, 11/30/00.

      > Herr der Ringe. Well, it's about time -- I participated in a real
      win
      > of Lord of the Rings! And we started Sauron at 12: not 15, but 12.
      We
      > took some damage in Moria, but sprinted through Helm's Deep and
      > Shelob, and a few turns into Moria we were 5x Gandalf-Enabled. We
      > arranged to get Gollum at the first event, by Gandalf-manipulating
      the
      > event tile stack. As Merry, I winged the Ring on the first try --
      > Sauron was at 10, I was at 4 and well behind the front rank. We
      kicked
      > Mr. Eyeball's fat hairy ass and won at 82, with (I believe) Matt or
      > Dan the nominal "individual winner".

      We owned Suaron. We made him cry. We ate his lunch. We dissed
      his momma. We stole his bus money. It was especially funny when
      Merry held the ring just out of reach and Sauron jumped up and
      down tring to grab it and whined, in his funny high-pitched voice,
      "Aw come on guys! Gimme the ring! It isn't funny! Guys!"

      > It was the first try for everybody but me, with Rich the unofficial
      > sixth-hobbit advisor to give Andy (our last addition) a chance to
      > play. Rich's comment might be well taken: "you're about done with
      > this." I think that might be right; until and unless there are
      > expansion sets, I might not bring this out more than a few more
      times
      > except with people who haven't played it.

      From my long experience playing this game (once) I also see
      replayability problems. It was great fun working as a group
      to overcome the various challenges (as in D&D). Unlike a good
      DM in D&D, Sauron (i.e. the game) couldn't react.

      Perhaps there is room for a variant where a sixth player agrees
      to play Sauron. He would have the ability (a few times, not
      continuously) to interfere with the group by rearranging a few
      event tiles, making a player skip or repeat a turn, forcing the
      trade of a card or two, etc.

      I'm told that our refreshing romp through sleepy, parklike Middle
      Earth was the exception and not the rule, so I suppose in the
      average game against an "active" Sauron the players would have to
      start with a few more cards or other advantages.

      > In the third game of the night, Rich bulldozed us in Taj Mahal. I
      got
      > hosed twice in a row and three times in the first six -- the cards
      > never seemed to break right for me. I think there's a tendency in
      Taj
      > sometimes to play when you should withdraw, particularly if you're
      > behind, just to feel like you're _doing something_ -- and that will
      > sometimes cost you even more. Anyway, it was no contest -- Rich
      scored
      > in the mid 60s, the highest score I've ever seen.

      Taj rules. Great bits, simple rules, no downtime, complex without
      bringing on analysis paralysis, superb combo of card play and
      board play. Yes, you can get hosed by a bad draw of cards and be
      unlikely to catch up, but most of our favorite games are like
      that, right?

      Dan Miller
      millerandgreen@...