Session report: Gaming Day at The Buttery (16 October 2005)

  • Mark J. Dulcey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2005
      A small group this time; we had a total of seven people this time, and
      not all at once. There seemed to be a bit of harmonic unconvergence
      going on; a number of people were unable to be here this month for a
      variety of reasons.

      Our next session will be Sunday, November 20.

      Scrabble:

      Andrew 289
      Mark 286

      Andrew was the first to arrive, so we went head-to-head in a very close
      game. The board was tight all game; lots of words filling in multiple
      ways, and few long words. Andrew sealed the victory at the end by
      emptying his rack, catching me with 7 points of unplayed letters.

      Attika

      Mark
      Andrew
      Kevin

      I won, and Andrew was closer to finishing than Kevin was. Lots of
      obstructionism, so nobody was able to complete a path between a pair of
      shrines. I won by playing my last building two turns before Andrew would
      have managed it, and Kevin would have been a turn or two behind Andrew.

      Scrabble

      Bill 360
      Beth 251

      I wasn't in on this one; I don't have any details of how the game went
      other than the score. Probably an open board, with so many points scored.

      Quiddler

      Andrew 298
      Mark 279
      Beth 242
      Bill 221

      Andrew wins again! I had the lead for most of the game, but got killed
      in the round of 10 when I was dealt only one vowel, and failed to get a
      second one in two draws. I was able to form a second word with my Y, but
      still had to eat three letters.

      Puerto Rico

      Chip 54
      Bill 44
      Mark 41
      Davey 32

      Chip was the big winner here with a Factory strategy and an early coffee
      roaster. He managed to buy two large buildings (Guild Hall and City
      Hall) and get 13 bonus points. Bill tried a shipping strategy with
      multiple corn plantations, some tobacco plantations for cash, and a
      wharf. I tried a Factory/Harbor setup, but didn't execute it well this
      time; I got caught on the short end of trading and shipping too often.
      Davey tried an experiment with the Hospice and an early University,
      banking on full population; it might have worked better if she had
      managed to buy the Fortress.