Re: [Unity_Games] SR: MVGA, 11/30: We winged the Ring!

  • Cragmyre .
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      Has anyone tried it solo? Can it be played solitaire?

      Just curious.

      Ron

    • Walter Hunt
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
        --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
        > Walter wrote:
        > Without touching on a sore
        > > point, I'm certainly glad I went for the bargain price and bought
        it
        > > in German.
        >
        > Ouch! Actually, this must be in reference to me specifically since
        the
        > UK/WotC edition is now widely available for US$30 - Boulder price
        closer to
        > US$28 and one person in r.g.b. just commented he saw it in stores
        discounted
        > to US$22 - well worth the difference in price for the English
        version, IMHO.

        Wasn't meant as a jab, and yes, the difference in price is useful for
        teaching non-Germanophone players, particularly the "non-gamer" types.
        So everybody got what they wanted.

        Even at $50, if you get ten plays, it's probably worth it; we've all
        bought games that didn't get much use after a few times on the table.
        Haven't bought too many dogs recently, for which I can thank Unity
        Games. "Play before you buy..." As Dave would say, hehehe [tm,
        copyright 1999, 2000 Bernazzani].

        Walter.
      • Dan Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
          --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Walter Hunt" <hotc@w...> wrote:

          > MVGA, 11/30/00.

          > Herr der Ringe. Well, it's about time -- I participated in a real
          win
          > of Lord of the Rings! And we started Sauron at 12: not 15, but 12.
          We
          > took some damage in Moria, but sprinted through Helm's Deep and
          > Shelob, and a few turns into Moria we were 5x Gandalf-Enabled. We
          > arranged to get Gollum at the first event, by Gandalf-manipulating
          the
          > event tile stack. As Merry, I winged the Ring on the first try --
          > Sauron was at 10, I was at 4 and well behind the front rank. We
          kicked
          > Mr. Eyeball's fat hairy ass and won at 82, with (I believe) Matt or
          > Dan the nominal "individual winner".

          We owned Suaron. We made him cry. We ate his lunch. We dissed
          his momma. We stole his bus money. It was especially funny when
          Merry held the ring just out of reach and Sauron jumped up and
          down tring to grab it and whined, in his funny high-pitched voice,
          "Aw come on guys! Gimme the ring! It isn't funny! Guys!"

          > It was the first try for everybody but me, with Rich the unofficial
          > sixth-hobbit advisor to give Andy (our last addition) a chance to
          > play. Rich's comment might be well taken: "you're about done with
          > this." I think that might be right; until and unless there are
          > expansion sets, I might not bring this out more than a few more
          times
          > except with people who haven't played it.

          From my long experience playing this game (once) I also see
          replayability problems. It was great fun working as a group
          to overcome the various challenges (as in D&D). Unlike a good
          DM in D&D, Sauron (i.e. the game) couldn't react.

          Perhaps there is room for a variant where a sixth player agrees
          to play Sauron. He would have the ability (a few times, not
          continuously) to interfere with the group by rearranging a few
          event tiles, making a player skip or repeat a turn, forcing the
          trade of a card or two, etc.

          I'm told that our refreshing romp through sleepy, parklike Middle
          Earth was the exception and not the rule, so I suppose in the
          average game against an "active" Sauron the players would have to
          start with a few more cards or other advantages.

          > In the third game of the night, Rich bulldozed us in Taj Mahal. I
          got
          > hosed twice in a row and three times in the first six -- the cards
          > never seemed to break right for me. I think there's a tendency in
          Taj
          > sometimes to play when you should withdraw, particularly if you're
          > behind, just to feel like you're _doing something_ -- and that will
          > sometimes cost you even more. Anyway, it was no contest -- Rich
          scored
          > in the mid 60s, the highest score I've ever seen.

          Taj rules. Great bits, simple rules, no downtime, complex without
          bringing on analysis paralysis, superb combo of card play and
          board play. Yes, you can get hosed by a bad draw of cards and be
          unlikely to catch up, but most of our favorite games are like
          that, right?

          Dan Miller
          millerandgreen@...