Re: [Unity_Games] New member introduction

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5 4:25 PM
      On 9/5/05, Alex <swift_shadowfax@...> wrote:
      > My fiancee and I are new to Boston, and are looking for a local fix
      > for our gaming cravings. We've both enjoyed catan, carcasone,
      > elfenland, ticket to ride, Star Wars Epic Duels, bang, allhambre, and
      > bohnanza in the past, but are always willing to try new games. We
      > live in southwest boston (west roxbury) and would like to find a group
      > that meets rather often (once a week would be great)
      >
      > We would also like to prepay for UG-X. Is there an area group closer
      > than MVGA where we could meet (and give money to) one of the
      > organizers?

      Welcome to Unity Games!!!

      The South Shore Gamers (SSG) meet at the Barnes & Noble at the Walpole
      Mall on Rt. 1 on Monday nights. THAT'S TONIGHT! It's probably a 15 -
      20 min drive down the road for you. Dave.B will graciously take UG-X
      pre-pays there, and he can be easily coaxed into teaching you the fine
      art of Wizard as well.

      Best Regards,

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6 5:18 AM
        > Welcome to Unity Games!!!
        >
        > The South Shore Gamers (SSG) meet at the Barnes & Noble at the
        Walpole
        > Mall on Rt. 1 on Monday nights. THAT'S TONIGHT! It's probably a
        15 -
        > 20 min drive down the road for you. Dave.B will graciously take UG-X
        > pre-pays there, and he can be easily coaxed into teaching you the
        fine
        > art of Wizard as well.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > - Phil

        sounds good, we should be there next week.
        -alex
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
          Hi everyone,

          My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
          started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly thereafter,
          I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd read about.
          I've started building up my own game collection over the past 2-3
          months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of games.

          I work in Mass., but I live in Southern NH. I'd love to find other
          gamers in my area, as most of my friends aren't into the gaming scene.

          I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
          blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

          Cheers,
          Matt (mpj1)
        • Mark J. Dulcey
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
            Matt wrote:
            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
            > started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly thereafter,
            > I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd read about.
            > I've started building up my own game collection over the past 2-3
            > months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of games.
            >
            > I work in Mass., but I live in Southern NH. I'd love to find other
            > gamers in my area, as most of my friends aren't into the gaming scene.
            >
            > I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
            > blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

            By all means, come to UG X! You'll get to play games, make contact with
            people in existing gaming groups, and maybe even line up some people for
            a group of your own if you're so inclined. All that for a measly $15 --
            how can you go wrong?
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
              At 02:31 PM 10/4/2005, Matt wrote:
              >My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
              >started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly thereafter,
              >I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd read about.
              >I've started building up my own game collection over the past 2-3
              >months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of games.

              Ahh, you gotta love BGG.

              >I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
              >blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

              It'd be worth it just to meet many other folks that play these
              games. We're out there. ;-)

              Mark

              Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
              http://www.unitygames.org/

              "Oh I hated the Colonel... with his wee *beady* eyes and that smug look on
              his face! Oooh you're gonna buy my chicken... OOoohOOOOhhh" -- Stuart
              MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                Matt wrote:

                > I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
                > blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

                Welcome! Let me say that I think UG-X is well worth the trip down... it's
                going to be packed with gamers from the area. Teaching areas in the morning
                are a good place to get your feet wet in meeting some other new folks and
                game with friendly regulars who help staff the tables... Open gaming the
                rest of the day with a few smaller events scheduled (events will be posted
                shortly... and will be posted at the front desk). The UG-X page has
                recently been updated with places to eat in the area (a few new places went
                up - including a couple right across the street). See the UG-X page below
                and we'll hope to see you there!

                daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
                Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
                http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10.htm
              • Josh Bluestein
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                  > From: "Matt" <mpj1@...>

                  > My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
                  > started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly
                  > thereafter, I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd
                  > read about. I've started building up my own game collection over
                  > the past 2-3 months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of
                  > games.
                  >
                  > I work in Mass., but I live in Southern NH. I'd love to find other
                  > gamers in my area, as most of my friends aren't into the gaming
                  > scene.
                  >
                  > I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
                  > blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

                  Hi Matt --

                  Depending on where you live in Southern NH, and possibly on your
                  level of tolerance, SOG may be a good group for you to try out. SOG
                  meets on Monday nights in various locations, including but not
                  necessarily limited to: Westford, Nashua, Andover, Sudbury, Belmont.

                  SOG has its own Yahoo group (SOG_List), and we are pretty welcoming of
                  newcomers. Feel free to sign on and show up.

                  Josh
                • Clark Baker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                    On Oct 4, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                    > The UG-X page has recently been updated with places to eat in the
                    > area (a few new places went up - including a couple right across the
                    > street).

                    This page: http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10eat.htm

                    is missing a large "B" across the street from "A".

                    I live in the west end of Belmont and east at "A" and "B" places a lot.
                    You guys did a good job on all of this.

                    I especially think that Lexmart doers a good job on sandwiches.

                    Sorry I won't be at "X" this year. Laura and I made #8 and had a good
                    time. I will be square dancing at Lake Shore Farm near Concord, NH.

                    http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/fall-blurb.html

                    Most of us also like board gams so we will get there early and play
                    games and play more games when not dancing. In fact, Lake Shore would
                    be a great venue for hosting a residential board game weekend. They
                    have a large dance hall with lots of tables and chairs so there would
                    be places to game. They also have a lounge with a pool table, ping
                    pong table, and some smaller tables. This is where we play most of our
                    games (and some put together puzzles).

                    Assuming 2 people per room and including a 20% tip (which I build into
                    the price), the LSF price would be around $105 per person for 6 meals
                    and 2 room nights. They have 32 rooms so 64 people would be fine.
                    They are willing to host smaller groups. For example, this weekend I
                    have 39 of us and we are using 25 rooms. Their website is
                    http://www.lakeshorefarm.com/

                    Do you think this would be of interest to anyone? Is this something
                    you would want to organize? If not, is there someone obvious I should
                    mention the idea to?

                    --
                    Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
                    cmbaker@...
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                      On Oct 4, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Clark Baker wrote:

                      > This page: http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10eat.htm
                      >
                      > is missing a large "B" across the street from "A".

                      Red faced (oops). I guess my private reply to Dave got away. Sorry
                      about TMI on the games list.

                      --
                      Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
                      cmbaker@...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                        Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I'm definitely leaning on going to
                        UGX. I hope to make it there early for the learning sessions,
                        although that depends on how late my Friday night group goes, and
                        consequently, how early I can drag myself out of bed for the drive
                        down. :)

                        Josh, out of curiosity, why does my potential enjoyment of the SOG
                        group depend on my "level of tolerance"?

                        Cheers,
                        Matt
                      • Josh Bluestein
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                          > From: "Matt" <mpj1@...>

                          > Josh, out of curiosity, why does my potential enjoyment of the SOG
                          > group depend on my "level of tolerance"?

                          Ah, well, mostly just hyperbole on my part, I imagine. The SOG crowd
                          can be a little...spirited at times. But in fact we're all nice
                          people...well, some of us are...

                          But we are definitely welcoming of newcomers.

                          Josh
                        • Mark Edwards
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                            At 10:25 AM 10/5/2005, Josh Bluestein wrote:
                            > > From: "Matt" <mpj1@...>
                            >
                            > > Josh, out of curiosity, why does my potential enjoyment of the SOG
                            > > group depend on my "level of tolerance"?
                            >
                            >Ah, well, mostly just hyperbole on my part, I imagine. The SOG crowd
                            >can be a little...spirited at times. But in fact we're all nice people...
                            >well, some of us are...
                            >
                            >But we are definitely welcoming of newcomers.

                            Hmmmm, I dunno, reading your responses you folks seem kinda scary to me
                            and I know most of you!
                            Now that I dwell on it, there is that Chris character. He gives me the
                            willies. ;-)

                            Although it is yet another reason to come to UG X. Is it really
                            hyperbole on Josh's part? Who are the overly "spirited" ones at
                            SOG? Which of the "nice" people really aren't? These questions and more
                            can be answered at UG X.
                            Of course one could just show up at a SOG session, apparently at dire
                            personal risk.

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                              > From: Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...>

                              > Although it is yet another reason to come to UG X. Is it really
                              > hyperbole on Josh's part? Who are the overly "spirited" ones at
                              > SOG? Which of the "nice" people really aren't? These questions and
                              > more can be answered at UG X.

                              > Of course one could just show up at a SOG session, apparently at
                              > dire personal risk.

                              As long as by 'one' you don't mean 'Mark Edwards'. We don't tolerate
                              that kind around these parts.