New member introduction

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2005
      My fiancee and I are new to Boston, and are looking for a local fix
      for our gaming cravings. We've both enjoyed catan, carcasone,
      elfenland, ticket to ride, Star Wars Epic Duels, bang, allhambre, and
      bohnanza in the past, but are always willing to try new games. We
      live in southwest boston (west roxbury) and would like to find a group
      that meets rather often (once a week would be great)

      We would also like to prepay for UG-X. Is there an area group closer
      than MVGA where we could meet (and give money to) one of the
      organizers?

      Alex
    • Phil Alberg
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 5, 2005
        On 9/5/05, Alex <swift_shadowfax@...> wrote:
        > My fiancee and I are new to Boston, and are looking for a local fix
        > for our gaming cravings. We've both enjoyed catan, carcasone,
        > elfenland, ticket to ride, Star Wars Epic Duels, bang, allhambre, and
        > bohnanza in the past, but are always willing to try new games. We
        > live in southwest boston (west roxbury) and would like to find a group
        > that meets rather often (once a week would be great)
        >
        > We would also like to prepay for UG-X. Is there an area group closer
        > than MVGA where we could meet (and give money to) one of the
        > organizers?

        Welcome to Unity Games!!!

        The South Shore Gamers (SSG) meet at the Barnes & Noble at the Walpole
        Mall on Rt. 1 on Monday nights. THAT'S TONIGHT! It's probably a 15 -
        20 min drive down the road for you. Dave.B will graciously take UG-X
        pre-pays there, and he can be easily coaxed into teaching you the fine
        art of Wizard as well.

        Best Regards,

        - Phil

        --
        Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
        http://www.unitygames.org/

        important, not the winning."
        - Reiner Knizia
      • Alex
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2005
          > Welcome to Unity Games!!!
          >
          > The South Shore Gamers (SSG) meet at the Barnes & Noble at the
          Walpole
          > Mall on Rt. 1 on Monday nights. THAT'S TONIGHT! It's probably a
          15 -
          > 20 min drive down the road for you. Dave.B will graciously take UG-X
          > pre-pays there, and he can be easily coaxed into teaching you the
          fine
          > art of Wizard as well.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          >
          > - Phil

          sounds good, we should be there next week.
          -alex
        • Matt
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
            Hi everyone,

            My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
            started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly thereafter,
            I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd read about.
            I've started building up my own game collection over the past 2-3
            months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of games.

            I work in Mass., but I live in Southern NH. I'd love to find other
            gamers in my area, as most of my friends aren't into the gaming scene.

            I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
            blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

            Cheers,
            Matt (mpj1)
          • Mark J. Dulcey
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
              Matt wrote:
              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
              > started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly thereafter,
              > I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd read about.
              > I've started building up my own game collection over the past 2-3
              > months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of games.
              >
              > I work in Mass., but I live in Southern NH. I'd love to find other
              > gamers in my area, as most of my friends aren't into the gaming scene.
              >
              > I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
              > blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

              By all means, come to UG X! You'll get to play games, make contact with
              people in existing gaming groups, and maybe even line up some people for
              a group of your own if you're so inclined. All that for a measly $15 --
              how can you go wrong?
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                At 02:31 PM 10/4/2005, Matt wrote:
                >My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
                >started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly thereafter,
                >I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd read about.
                >I've started building up my own game collection over the past 2-3
                >months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of games.

                Ahh, you gotta love BGG.

                >I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
                >blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

                It'd be worth it just to meet many other folks that play these
                games. We're out there. ;-)

                Mark

                Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
                http://www.unitygames.org/

                "Oh I hated the Colonel... with his wee *beady* eyes and that smug look on
                his face! Oooh you're gonna buy my chicken... OOoohOOOOhhh" -- Stuart
                MacKenzie
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                  Matt wrote:

                  > I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
                  > blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

                  Welcome! Let me say that I think UG-X is well worth the trip down... it's
                  going to be packed with gamers from the area. Teaching areas in the morning
                  are a good place to get your feet wet in meeting some other new folks and
                  game with friendly regulars who help staff the tables... Open gaming the
                  rest of the day with a few smaller events scheduled (events will be posted
                  shortly... and will be posted at the front desk). The UG-X page has
                  recently been updated with places to eat in the area (a few new places went
                  up - including a couple right across the street). See the UG-X page below
                  and we'll hope to see you there!

                  daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
                  Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
                  http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10.htm
                • Josh Bluestein
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                    > From: "Matt" <mpj1@...>

                    > My name is Matt, and I'm relatively new to the boardgaming scene. I
                    > started lurking on BGG back in February/March, and shortly
                    > thereafter, I got the chance to start playing many of the games I'd
                    > read about. I've started building up my own game collection over
                    > the past 2-3 months, and I've been enjoying trying a wide variety of
                    > games.
                    >
                    > I work in Mass., but I live in Southern NH. I'd love to find other
                    > gamers in my area, as most of my friends aren't into the gaming
                    > scene.
                    >
                    > I am considering going to UGX this Saturday, as it sounds like a
                    > blast, and it would give me the opportunity to try even more games.

                    Hi Matt --

                    Depending on where you live in Southern NH, and possibly on your
                    level of tolerance, SOG may be a good group for you to try out. SOG
                    meets on Monday nights in various locations, including but not
                    necessarily limited to: Westford, Nashua, Andover, Sudbury, Belmont.

                    SOG has its own Yahoo group (SOG_List), and we are pretty welcoming of
                    newcomers. Feel free to sign on and show up.

                    Josh
                  • Clark Baker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                      On Oct 4, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                      > The UG-X page has recently been updated with places to eat in the
                      > area (a few new places went up - including a couple right across the
                      > street).

                      This page: http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10eat.htm

                      is missing a large "B" across the street from "A".

                      I live in the west end of Belmont and east at "A" and "B" places a lot.
                      You guys did a good job on all of this.

                      I especially think that Lexmart doers a good job on sandwiches.

                      Sorry I won't be at "X" this year. Laura and I made #8 and had a good
                      time. I will be square dancing at Lake Shore Farm near Concord, NH.

                      http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/fall-blurb.html

                      Most of us also like board gams so we will get there early and play
                      games and play more games when not dancing. In fact, Lake Shore would
                      be a great venue for hosting a residential board game weekend. They
                      have a large dance hall with lots of tables and chairs so there would
                      be places to game. They also have a lounge with a pool table, ping
                      pong table, and some smaller tables. This is where we play most of our
                      games (and some put together puzzles).

                      Assuming 2 people per room and including a 20% tip (which I build into
                      the price), the LSF price would be around $105 per person for 6 meals
                      and 2 room nights. They have 32 rooms so 64 people would be fine.
                      They are willing to host smaller groups. For example, this weekend I
                      have 39 of us and we are using 25 rooms. Their website is
                      http://www.lakeshorefarm.com/

                      Do you think this would be of interest to anyone? Is this something
                      you would want to organize? If not, is there someone obvious I should
                      mention the idea to?

                      --
                      Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
                      cmbaker@...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                        On Oct 4, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Clark Baker wrote:

                        > This page: http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10eat.htm
                        >
                        > is missing a large "B" across the street from "A".

                        Red faced (oops). I guess my private reply to Dave got away. Sorry
                        about TMI on the games list.

                        --
                        Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
                        cmbaker@...
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
                          Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I'm definitely leaning on going to
                          UGX. I hope to make it there early for the learning sessions,
                          although that depends on how late my Friday night group goes, and
                          consequently, how early I can drag myself out of bed for the drive
                          down. :)

                          Josh, out of curiosity, why does my potential enjoyment of the SOG
                          group depend on my "level of tolerance"?

                          Cheers,
                          Matt
                        • Josh Bluestein
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                            > From: "Matt" <mpj1@...>

                            > Josh, out of curiosity, why does my potential enjoyment of the SOG
                            > group depend on my "level of tolerance"?

                            Ah, well, mostly just hyperbole on my part, I imagine. The SOG crowd
                            can be a little...spirited at times. But in fact we're all nice
                            people...well, some of us are...

                            But we are definitely welcoming of newcomers.

                            Josh
                          • Mark Edwards
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                              At 10:25 AM 10/5/2005, Josh Bluestein wrote:
                              > > From: "Matt" <mpj1@...>
                              >
                              > > Josh, out of curiosity, why does my potential enjoyment of the SOG
                              > > group depend on my "level of tolerance"?
                              >
                              >Ah, well, mostly just hyperbole on my part, I imagine. The SOG crowd
                              >can be a little...spirited at times. But in fact we're all nice people...
                              >well, some of us are...
                              >
                              >But we are definitely welcoming of newcomers.

                              Hmmmm, I dunno, reading your responses you folks seem kinda scary to me
                              and I know most of you!
                              Now that I dwell on it, there is that Chris character. He gives me the
                              willies. ;-)

                              Although it is yet another reason to come to UG X. Is it really
                              hyperbole on Josh's part? Who are the overly "spirited" ones at
                              SOG? Which of the "nice" people really aren't? These questions and more
                              can be answered at UG X.
                              Of course one could just show up at a SOG session, apparently at dire
                              personal risk.

                              Mark

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                                > From: Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...>

                                > Although it is yet another reason to come to UG X. Is it really
                                > hyperbole on Josh's part? Who are the overly "spirited" ones at
                                > SOG? Which of the "nice" people really aren't? These questions and
                                > more can be answered at UG X.

                                > Of course one could just show up at a SOG session, apparently at
                                > dire personal risk.

                                As long as by 'one' you don't mean 'Mark Edwards'. We don't tolerate
                                that kind around these parts.