Funagain piggybacking

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
      It has occured to me many times that I would like to order a game from
      Funagain, but often it is a single game, or a small game, and shipping
      becomes a real obstacle. I would assume this group orders from
      Funagain with some fairly regular frequency.

      What would people think of me creating a web page on which people
      could post "Funagain piggyback requests"? That is, I might want to
      order Battle Line ($14.95), but the $6.50+ shipping would make me want
      to wait for a larger order. However, if I got in on someone elses
      order, the shipping would be down to the $1.50/game shipping or
      whatever.

      The advantages of this are we can economize on shipping as a group,
      making single or small number of game purchases from Funagain
      reasonable. The disadvantages are the (small) risk that the orderer
      could end up ordering games which the intended recipients don't pay
      for promptly (or, potentially, at all).

      So, what do people think? Good idea? Bad idea? I can whip up a web
      page to do this, or for that matter, we could just do it over the
      mailing list.

      ...Matthew
    • Charles Glaser
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
        I think thats a great idea...I have gone to order things and run across the
        problem of shipping being more than I would want to pay

        Good idea Matthew

        Yours Truly

        Charles
        >It has occured to me many times that I would like to order a game from
        >Funagain, but often it is a single game, or a small game, and shipping
        >becomes a real obstacle. I would assume this group orders from
        >Funagain with some fairly regular frequency.
        >
        >What would people think of me creating a web page on which people
        >could post "Funagain piggyback requests"? That is, I might want to
        >order Battle Line ($14.95), but the $6.50+ shipping would make me want
        >to wait for a larger order. However, if I got in on someone elses
        >order, the shipping would be down to the $1.50/game shipping or
        >whatever.
        >
        >The advantages of this are we can economize on shipping as a group,
        >making single or small number of game purchases from Funagain
        >reasonable. The disadvantages are the (small) risk that the orderer
        >could end up ordering games which the intended recipients don't pay
        >for promptly (or, potentially, at all).
        >
        >So, what do people think? Good idea? Bad idea? I can whip up a web
        >page to do this, or for that matter, we could just do it over the
        >mailing list.
        >
        > ...Matthew
        >

        >Web page for Unity Games member database, files, polls, etc.
        >http://www.egroups.com/group/Unity_Games
        >
        >To UNSUBSCRIBE from The Unity Games mailing list, please send an email to:
        Unsubscribe from there.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
          > So, what do people think? Good idea? Bad idea? I can whip up a web
          > page to do this, or for that matter, we could just do it over the
          > mailing list.

          Some of us have done this informally in the past - and it might work "as a
          group" as you have outlined. But it might delay the already-long east-coast
          shipments from Funagain (which is why I have started in 2000 to lean towards
          Boulder and occasionally FairPlay games more as they get me games in 2-3
          days, have cheaper shipping and I can exchange game articles/reviews for
          game-store credit). Recently, small orders at Funagain are now going USPS
          Priority mail which is great! But larger orders still go UPS and so a
          combined order might save a couple bucks but would possibly increase the
          order from 2-3 days to 10+ days (not that 10 days is a big deal, but I think
          we've all been a little frustrated at how long it takes UPS to deliver
          something from Oregon). And then we would have to meet up to get the games
          delivered and money exchanged which might be a few more days still. I guess
          I've got mixed feelings on this. Shipping is not much of a problem for me
          these days - I tend to order a few games at a time -- and so the per-item
          shipping is about 2.50 which is great considering the deep discounts.

          Please note - I continue to use Funagain because I love their service and
          website. I just wish they would open up an east-coast store :)

          dber@...
        • Walter Hunt
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
            --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
            > Some of us have done this informally in the past - and it might work
            "as a
            > group" as you have outlined. But it might delay the already-long
            east-coast
            > shipments from Funagain
            > [more DaveBlah deleted]

            I'm in favor of this idea and would participate. I'd also welcome the
            opportunity to piggyback for Fairplay or Boulder. We give all of these
            guys enough business, we ought to have an account :-)

            Dave's primary objection is waiting time. This returns to my comments
            a few weeks back which, if not well timed or focused, at least had a
            kernel of truth in them -- I just don't place orders often enough, or
            have to have a particular game strongly enough, to worry about waiting
            an extra week. If we batched the orders it would be impractical from
            an immediacy standpoint, but orders for things that _didn't have to be
            here right away_ might be quite an efficient way to go about it.

            I'm looking at ordering some subset of the following: Babel, Java,
            Meuterer, Metro, Cartagena, Carcassonne, Al Cabohne, Kaufleute von
            Amsterdam, Lost Cities (another copy for work :-)), and the new
            edition of Acquire. As you can see, some of these are Essen releases,
            but some have just been on the shopping list for awhile.

            If I'm not mistaken, KvA is on sale at Fairplay for $26,- but I
            haven't been moved to place an order there for just one game. If
            someone else was placing an order there, I'd be glad to hop on board
            to save $8 on that game.

            Matt suggests a web page; maybe that would be the way to go.

            Just my two APs :-)

            Walter.
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
              The other place where it is definitely worth
              piggybacking order is Adam Spielt. Walter, Alison and
              I tried to do it early in the fall, but I didn't have
              my act together so it never happened. Piggybacking AS
              orders is well worth the effort as often the savings
              can be substantial and shipping time is no longer than
              Funagain's.

              As far as getting games quick - that isn't an issue
              for me either, especially older games like the ones on
              Walter's list.

              The biggest obstacle is having one person do the
              ordering and collecting and delivery the games. I
              don't think anyone would be the non paying type, so
              that isn't a problem I see.

              I'd be happy to piggy back on an AS order or a
              Funagain order or any of them for that matter.

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              http://shopping.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                Craig wrote:

                > As far as getting games quick - that isn't an issue
                > for me either, especially older games like the ones on
                > Walter's list.

                Coming from the guy who was complaining last week that his Road and Boats
                was somehow delayed in shipment from Europe :)

                OK, so _I'm_ the only person on this list that like to have games delivered
                quickly. When I place an order, I do like to see them make a quick
                journey - sometimes the 10+ days from the west coast seems like forever. I
                guess I'm less patient than most once I've decided to pick up a copy of a
                game.

                Fair enough!

                PS - an Adam Spielt order continues to sound like a good idea.

                dber@...
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                  Agree about piggybacking AS orders especially! If I weren't so braindead I would've order Traumfabrik via AS weeks ago. Right now I have 3 sources tracking it down and I still don't have a copy. In a few weeks or so I'll have 2 too many copies. Doh!

                  Craig Massey wrote:

                  > The other place where it is definitely worth
                  > piggybacking order is Adam Spielt. Walter, Alison and
                  > I tried to do it early in the fall, but I didn't have
                  > my act together so it never happened. Piggybacking AS
                  > orders is well worth the effort as often the savings
                  > can be substantial and shipping time is no longer than
                  > Funagain's.

                  "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda
                • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                    I am a pretty loyal Funagain customer, and I find the wait for UPS to get the stuff to me annoying.

                    I would be very keen to piggyback on an Adam order. Kuhhandel, Babel, Traumfabrik...

                    Forget that last one. I hear there's a guy in South Attleboro who will be eager to unload a couple of spare copies soon...

                    Andrew.
                  • David Rapp
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                      I've been trying to get people to do this too. I don't mind waiting, and
                      piggybacking makes it worth my time, especially when there are only two
                      smaller things I want and don't feel like ordering by themselves. Works
                      with Boulder too, especially since Boulder won't even send packages they
                      consider 'too small' (e.g., one or two Brawl decks).

                    • Walter Hunt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                        --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
                        > OK, so _I'm_ the only person on this list that like to have games
                        delivered
                        > quickly.

                        No, just the biggest target. But we like you anyway :-)

                        From the "Rundschreiben 02/2000", update to Adam Spielt catalog #012:

                        Buch von Siedler -- DM 69,90
                        Babel -- DM 24,90
                        Sternenfahrer figures -- DM 24,90
                        Sternenfahrer 5/6 -- DM 24,90
                        M -- DM 24,95
                        Al Cabohne -- DM 8,95
                        High Bohn -- DM 9,90
                        Zapp Zerapp -- DM 49,95
                        Bongo -- DM 13,50
                        Morisi -- DM 53,50
                        Ebbe & Flut, Im Maerchenwald, Kathai, Last Minute, Meuterer,
                        Monsterjagd, Titus, Geruechte Kueche -- DM 9,95 per
                        Cartagena -- DM 29,95
                        Attila -- DM 39,50
                        Carcassonne -- DM 24,50
                        Stoertebeker -- DM 24,50
                        Traumfabrik -- DM 48,90
                        Res Publica -- DM 17,90
                        Flick Werk -- DM 8,50
                        Troia -- DM 49,95
                        Elixir -- DM 29,95
                        Pony-Express -- DM 9,90
                        Njet -- DM 4,95

                        This is in addition to what's in the main catalog, as well as lots of
                        things that you can get here almost as easily (San Francisco, Dragon
                        Delta, etc.)

                        My last Adam Spielt order took *9* days total. I ordered online. So
                        it's not much worse than waiting for something to come from Oregon.

                        Let's do it!

                        Walter.
                      • Matthew Gray
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                          Ok, given the response, I will whip something up so people can enter
                          games they want to order including where they're willing to get it
                          from and how much they're willing to pay for the game and for
                          shipping, and will allow people who are ordering to see who would like
                          to join in on the order, and what they would like. Once it's
                          implemented I'll send a URL here so people can critique it before we
                          start actually using it.

                          ...Matthew
                        • jonnypolite@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                            count me in too for a group AS order.

                            pat
                          • Charles Glaser
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
                              If someone is up for a Germany order, I'm all over that like Lucianno
                              Pavarotti on a Ball Park frank...I love quoting Dennis Miller...I would be
                              up to ordering many things if those are the right prices in DM's...I also
                              would be up to ordering stuff thats not on that list...

                              Definitely interested

                              Charles

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                                --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Charles Glaser" <yexel@m...> wrote:
                                > If someone is up for a Germany order, I'm all over that like
                                Lucianno
                                > Pavarotti on a Ball Park frank...I love quoting Dennis Miller...I
                                would be
                                > up to ordering many things if those are the right prices in DM's...I
                                also
                                > would be up to ordering stuff thats not on that list...

                                Those are prices quoted from the Adam Spielt addendum that came on
                                Tuesday. Currency conversion is left to the reader as an exercise.

                                Adam Spielt carries everything, and I mean everything, that's
                                currently available. I'm guessing that a combined Unity Games order
                                could be made very cost effective if it were big enough.

                                I didn't include lots of stuff on the list that can be gotten
                                elsewhere, but take a look at
                                http://adam-spielt.de/Unser_Katalog/unser_katalog.html for a catalog
                                -- it's in PDF form for download. Obviously it's in German, but the
                                titles and prices are certainly readable ...

                                I'd say we've got some momentum. Matt Gray is working on some kind of
                                order entry page, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Unity order
                                within a few weeks.

                                Walter