SOG SR: Special New Baby Edition, 8/2, Westford

  • Josh Bluestein
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
      So, my wife had a baby on Saturday night, somewhat unexpectedly. (OK,
      we did know it was going to happen eventually, but this was about six
      weeks early.) I informed her that I was going to cancel gaming for
      Monday night, and she said 'Why?'. So, well, I didn't. (Had to be
      home to keep #1 son's routine going anyway...)

      A good crew showed up at my place:

      Rob Elkind, .chip, Sara, Vitas, Mike, Luke, Chris and me.

      This SR is going to be short because, well, not so much time as I used
      to have.

      For starters, Mike, .chip, Rob and I played Bridges of Shangri-La, at
      Chris's recommendation. New game to all of us...interesting, fun, a
      bit dry. I enjoyed it. Final scores were: .chip 24, Mike 23, Me 23,
      Rob 17. Rob was whining so much that I bet him $10 that he wouldn't
      come in dead last. Bad bet, but at least he stopped whining for a
      while :). I don't feel bad, though, because Rob did spend a good hour
      or two pulling weeds in my garden before coming in to game...thanks
      Rob!

      Rob headed home after this and .chip, Mike and I played Web of Power.
      Mike focused on getting Advisors early and established a pretty good
      network, but I was able to steal a few choice locations and cement the
      victory. Josh: 80, .chip: 73, Mike: 72 (I think that's how the scores
      went)

      We then all grouped to gether and played a seven-player game of
      Syszgy, a real-time crossword sort of game. Not your standard far,
      but one I enjot a lot. Sara and I managed to finish at the same time,
      so we shared the win.

      At this point, .chip and Sara headed home. We hope to see them again
      soon...

      The rest of us got together and played Medici (won by a large margin
      by Chris), followed by Pricnes of Florence (won on the tiebreaker by
      me), and finished off with a three-round game of Geschenkt. I had two
      excellent rounds (13 and 14) followed by a so-so round, which was
      enough to give me the edge over Mike who had two so-so rounds followed
      an unbelievable round (-3). Chris would have had second place except
      for being forced to take the last card which was an immediate 35-point
      boost in score. So, pretty tight.

      That's all for me! Not sure how long it will be before I manage
      another gaming session...we'll just have to see.

      Oh yeah...

      Name: Jacob (Jake) Edwin Bluestein
      Date of birth: July 30, 2005 11:30 pm
      Length: 19 1/4 inches
      Weight: 5 lbs 7 oz
      Location of birth: the shoulder of Rte 2 before the Pleasant street
      exit in Lexington (I think)
      Witness to birth: Josh and Jessica
      34 weeks along
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
        Josh wrote:

        > So, my wife had a baby on Saturday night, somewhat unexpectedly.

        Congratulations! I heard a rumor that she gave birth in the car on route
        2!! Anyway, that's phenomenal news.

        You can prepay him for UG-XXVI via paypal.

        daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
        Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games X - October 8, 2005 Waltham, MA
        http://www.unitygames.org/ug10/ug10.htm
      • markkolenski
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
          Congrats Josh. Hopefully you will be able to maintain your priorities
          and still get enough gaming in ... ;-)