RE: [Unity_Games] [Review] Arkham Horror

  • Andrew Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
      Thanks Tom.

      I just picked this up (never read any of the HP Lovecraft stuff) because I'm
      dying to play it- complex games to me are great if they work. Just takes a
      bit of time investment to get the rules/mechanics into one's head. I love
      cooperative games but also ones that have an element of personal goal mixed
      in; ie Republic of Rome by Avalon Hill. This one looks demonic!

      Andy

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2005
        Thanks for the reviews on Arkham Horror. I picked this up at Gencon
        and thought I'd make a few points:

        Setup: if ever a game needed those little half sized ziplocks, it's
        this one (War of the Ring is a contender here too). Once organized,
        setup is really only about a 5 minute process.

        Complexity: I give this a replay factor of 2 - meaning, once you
        play the game through twice, you'll rarely need the rulebook again.
        This is on par with something like Game of Thrones, but below, say,
        We the People. It takes a little bit more to figure out strategy,
        but that's half the fun.

        RPG: If you've got a group of Hams (and I do) then this can be a
        tremendouse amount of fun. We play closed (meaning, the other
        players draw your cards for you). While some of the flavor text is
        good, much of it ("A Monster Appears!") is non-existant. We make a
        big deal out of game-mastering these situations. When we pull
        a "dreamlands" card, the reader might do a 2 minute long build up
        covering a journey across a plain of skulls to find a wrapped item
        on an alter before asking for the action required: "Make a Lore -1
        check, you get a unique item if you succeed."

        In the cases where a decision is required: "you may..." we don't
        let the person know the consequences, we just allude to them. While
        you would think that this would become less fun as cards are
        recycled (particularly the Arkham cards, where there aren't that
        many per location), if the group is creative, you can spin whole new
        tales around each location.

        The characters are also so well drawn that there's plenty to go on
        in terms of really really roleplaying your chosen investigator.

        To me this is what the game is really about - collaborative telling
        of ghost stories - and it's just an incredibly fun RPG/storytelling -
        lite good time.