Re: [Unity_Games] SR: GSG 6/28 - Modern Art, Showmanager, Shadow over Camelot, Bausack +

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      Sure, Mark, I'll try to bring a bit more life to this week's SR. Berna
      and James might indeed be leaving, but we'll always have Paris.

      > Linkity: Phil, Bob, Eric, Jeremy, Stephanie, James, Berna and Mike
      >
      > I did host-type stuff while the crowd warmed up with this party game.
      > Eric took the win among a lot of groans about writers and their ilk.

      This was a special request from Berna, and who would deny a moving gamer
      her last wish? That I repeatedly win this game is just coincidence --
      and those wins don't necessarily result from an extensive vocabulary. So
      I matched "heifer" to "fatty" -- everyone can see the connection there,
      right? (Just for history's sake, I'll note that Bob started all the
      perverted insinuations this time.)

      > Shadows over Camelot: Phil, Campbell, James, Berna, Zack, Mike and
      > Gary.
      >
      > According to Zack the good guys won. He mentioned something about
      > finding the Holy Grail so I sent him to bed, quest fulfilled. James
      > was the traitor and apparently didn't have much exciting to do down
      > the stretch. Mike thought the game dragged a bit but I didn't get
      > anyone else's impressions.

      I think this game can definitely drag depending on the group you play
      with. In a seven-player game with lots of newbies, the possibility for
      downtime skyrockets. Rather than think too much, everyone should keep
      moving, catapults be damned!

      > Bohnanza: Eric, Linda, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark

      Linda showed up for one game, and with my help she pushed Bohnanza onto
      the table. As usual, she won, acting all smiley and innocent as she made
      trade after trade. She likes the cooperative nature of this game, which
      is likely why she prefers TransAmerica to Ticket to Ride as well. Mark
      didn't seem outwardly down, making stinky bean jokes with the rest of
      us. You hide it well, Mark...

      > Modern Art: Eric, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark
      >
      > This won't go in the books as the best played game of Modern Art, but
      > hey I took the win so I won't complain.

      We had five and it was "M" week and I still hadn't played Modern Art,
      which is one of James' few 10-rated games on the Geek, so despite James
      being otherwise occupied with the knights of Camelot, I asked to play.
      And I ended up just $2 shy of fourth place. Yes, I bombed heavily,
      having no pictures in at least two of the rounds and clearly not making
      enough from my sales to cover the difference.

      Mark won by $30 or so, and somehow Stephanie came in second, despite
      giving away $62 when she could have only netted $60 at the most! Maybe
      that threw our attention off her, letting her make better deals at other
      times. I'll have to play this again soon to see if I learned anything.

      > ShowManager: Eric, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark
      >
      > This session of one of my favorite games hammered the "I'm not right"
      > point home. My karma was badly off. I was clearing the board only
      > to see '9's for roles I already had '7's for. This happened several
      > times and my whine factor got stuck on high. I ended up sacrificing
      > a Wolf '7' for its Queenie '2' just so I could finish Queenie (it
      > was in Hamburg, problem was Wolf was in New York, eguh). I don't
      > think I've had such a bad game of SM in quite a long time. I
      > finished last, my final score one point below Bob's. Ugh.

      Mark, it was hard to imagine you recovering after spending $2,000 to
      clear away two 9s (just so I wanted get one) only to be forced to clear
      it again, then still end up with junk! The Force wasn't with you this
      week...

      > Mamma Mia: Phil, Campbell, Brian, Mike and Gary
      >
      > Because of my lousy mood (the new dog's "accident" didn't help), the
      > bad Italian accents were like nails on chalkboard. I felt relieved
      > when they finished.

      Holy smokes, I vow to never play this game with Campbell and Phil again.
      I'm not much for theme games, and while Mamma Mia is no authentic
      pizza-making simulation, I don't think I could survive another evening
      in Attleboro's Little Italy. Also, I suck at this game.

      Goodbye again, Berna and James! Have a good life, indeed, but don't stay
      away forever.

      Eric-4

      P.S. Next week GSG will meet at Bruce's house in Warren. Will anyone
      make it out alive?

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "But then to what end was this world formed?" said Candide.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        At 10:03 PM 6/30/2005, W. Eric Martin wrote:
        > > Bohnanza: Eric, Linda, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark
        ><snip> Mark didn't seem outwardly down, making stinky bean jokes with the
        >rest of
        >us. You hide it well, Mark...

        Heheh, I do! In fact that's how I knew I was "off" it took work to be
        "me".

        >Mark, it was hard to imagine you recovering after spending $2,000 to
        >clear away two 9s (just so I wanted get one) only to be forced to clear
        >it again, then still end up with junk! The Force wasn't with you this
        >week...

        Yeah things were bad. I remember that I had one of the 7s for that 9
        and didn't have room to spare in my hand for the other. It was all just a
        bad dream.

        >P.S. Next week GSG will meet at Bruce's house in Warren. Will anyone
        >make it out alive?

        I'm scared too.

        "Logan... you renewed!"
        Francis-7