SR: GSG 6/28 - Modern Art, Showmanager, Shadow over Camelot, Bausack +

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
      This won't be much of a session report as I'm too far in the dumps to
      exaggerate my winnings. Last night was James and Berna's last GSG. They
      make the big move to Minneapolis later this week. We had a bigger than
      normal crowd for their send-off. Good to see Campbell (although twice in
      one week is just weird!). We did also welcome a new face, Gary, so our
      numbers remain around the same. Hopefully the bad Italian accents haven't
      scared him off for good.

      Roll Call: Phil, Bob, Eric, Linda, Campbell, Jeremy, Stephanie, James,
      Berna, Zack, Mike, Gary, Brian and Mark

      Linkity: Phil, Bob, Eric, Campbell, Jeremy, Stephanie, James, Berna and Mike

      I did host-type stuff while the crowd warmed up with this party game. Eric
      took the win among a lot of groans about writers and their ilk.

      Shadows over Camelot: Phil, Campbell, James, Berna, Zack, Mike and Gary.

      According to Zack the good guys won. He mentioned something about finding
      the Holy Grail so I sent him to bed, quest fulfilled. James was the
      traitor and apparently didn't have much exciting to do down the
      stretch. Mike thought the game dragged a bit but I didn't get anyone
      else's impressions.

      Bohnanza: Eric, Linda, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark

      Beans were traded and it was during this game that I realized I was having
      problems getting into "gaming" mode. You know my usual friendly
      neighborhood goofball self. Something just wasn't right.

      Modern Art: Eric, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark

      This won't go in the books as the best played game of Modern Art, but hey I
      took the win so I won't complain.

      ShowManager: Eric, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark

      This session of one of my favorite games hammered the "I'm not right" point
      home. My karma was badly off. I was clearing the board only to see '9's
      for roles I already had '7's for. This happened several times and my whine
      factor got stuck on high. I ended up sacrificing a Wolf '7' for its
      Queenie '2' just so I could finish Queenie (it was in Hamburg, problem was
      Wolf was in New York, eguh). I don't think I've had such a bad game of SM
      in quite a long time. I finished last, my final score one point below
      Bob's. Ugh.

      Bausack: Phil, Campbell, James, Berna, Brian, Mike and Gary.

      Brian had arrived with a sack of wooden blocks. They described this to me
      as auction game meets reverse Jenga, or something like that. The resulting
      towers were indeed impressive. Brian won using a minimalist strategy (his
      tower comprised only 3 pieces).

      Circus Flohcati: James, Berna, Bob and Mark

      I finally got in a game with James and Berna and yet still I couldn't
      muster my usual cheery disposition. Somebody won, it wasn't Bob so I was
      relatively happy (although I think Bob did edge me by one point again
      leaving me SHT).

      Mamma Mia: Phil, Campbell, Brian, Mike and Gary

      Because of my lousy mood (the new dog's "accident" didn't help), the bad
      Italian accents were like nails on chalkboard. I felt relieved when they
      finished.

      Slam Dunk: James, Berna, Bob and Mark

      I managed a "slam dunk" (you see even my wit has failed me) with wins in 2
      straight rounds giving me the easy win. It felt hollow. Wtf?

      We stood around a while and talked and then heartfelt good byes were said
      and hugs were exchanged, but it wasn't until I closed the door that it
      really hit me. It's what was bugging me all night. Two of my favorite
      people were leaving.

      I first met James and Berna at an SSG session, back when it was meeting in
      the church in Dedham (How long ago was that? Three years?). James became
      a regular at GSG and as we got to know each other it became apparent that
      we meshed well. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly constitutes a "friend",
      but whatever it is and however it happens I have come to consider James a
      good one. Berna was busy working on her Phd so I saw her less often, but
      often enough with the GoF and other social functions to realize something
      else. If our live's circumstances were different and I'd met these two in
      college I would've been best buddies with James and had a crush on
      Berna. They're like two peas in a pod.

      In short, these two are my kinda people and my affection for them has grown
      the longer I've known them. As I closed the door and went to clean up the
      game room I could only think of Shelley Long's departing scene from
      Cheers. It's closing time, the mandatory good byes are done, as Diane
      heads out the door Sam says "Have a good life". Diane turns and tut-tuts
      him, saying "I'll be back to visit", "We'll be in touch", "You'll see me
      soon enough" etc. He smiles and nods and says something like "yeah, sure,
      of course", mollifying her. Diane leaves, the bar door closes and as Sam
      watches her through the window trot up the stairs to the street above, he
      softly repeats, "Have a good life", knowing that things just won't ever be
      the same.

      Suffice it to say, as I walked back up to the empty game room with a heavy
      heart, I softly murmured "Have a good life".

      Mark

      P.S. Phil or Eric, feel free to write a coherent session report. Mine sucks.

      P.P.S. James and Berna, see you in September when Lisa drags me to
      Minneapolis to see a John Mayer concert.

      "It all made sense... until Box."
      Logan-5
    • W. Eric Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
        Sure, Mark, I'll try to bring a bit more life to this week's SR. Berna
        and James might indeed be leaving, but we'll always have Paris.

        > Linkity: Phil, Bob, Eric, Jeremy, Stephanie, James, Berna and Mike
        >
        > I did host-type stuff while the crowd warmed up with this party game.
        > Eric took the win among a lot of groans about writers and their ilk.

        This was a special request from Berna, and who would deny a moving gamer
        her last wish? That I repeatedly win this game is just coincidence --
        and those wins don't necessarily result from an extensive vocabulary. So
        I matched "heifer" to "fatty" -- everyone can see the connection there,
        right? (Just for history's sake, I'll note that Bob started all the
        perverted insinuations this time.)

        > Shadows over Camelot: Phil, Campbell, James, Berna, Zack, Mike and
        > Gary.
        >
        > According to Zack the good guys won. He mentioned something about
        > finding the Holy Grail so I sent him to bed, quest fulfilled. James
        > was the traitor and apparently didn't have much exciting to do down
        > the stretch. Mike thought the game dragged a bit but I didn't get
        > anyone else's impressions.

        I think this game can definitely drag depending on the group you play
        with. In a seven-player game with lots of newbies, the possibility for
        downtime skyrockets. Rather than think too much, everyone should keep
        moving, catapults be damned!

        > Bohnanza: Eric, Linda, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark

        Linda showed up for one game, and with my help she pushed Bohnanza onto
        the table. As usual, she won, acting all smiley and innocent as she made
        trade after trade. She likes the cooperative nature of this game, which
        is likely why she prefers TransAmerica to Ticket to Ride as well. Mark
        didn't seem outwardly down, making stinky bean jokes with the rest of
        us. You hide it well, Mark...

        > Modern Art: Eric, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark
        >
        > This won't go in the books as the best played game of Modern Art, but
        > hey I took the win so I won't complain.

        We had five and it was "M" week and I still hadn't played Modern Art,
        which is one of James' few 10-rated games on the Geek, so despite James
        being otherwise occupied with the knights of Camelot, I asked to play.
        And I ended up just $2 shy of fourth place. Yes, I bombed heavily,
        having no pictures in at least two of the rounds and clearly not making
        enough from my sales to cover the difference.

        Mark won by $30 or so, and somehow Stephanie came in second, despite
        giving away $62 when she could have only netted $60 at the most! Maybe
        that threw our attention off her, letting her make better deals at other
        times. I'll have to play this again soon to see if I learned anything.

        > ShowManager: Eric, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark
        >
        > This session of one of my favorite games hammered the "I'm not right"
        > point home. My karma was badly off. I was clearing the board only
        > to see '9's for roles I already had '7's for. This happened several
        > times and my whine factor got stuck on high. I ended up sacrificing
        > a Wolf '7' for its Queenie '2' just so I could finish Queenie (it
        > was in Hamburg, problem was Wolf was in New York, eguh). I don't
        > think I've had such a bad game of SM in quite a long time. I
        > finished last, my final score one point below Bob's. Ugh.

        Mark, it was hard to imagine you recovering after spending $2,000 to
        clear away two 9s (just so I wanted get one) only to be forced to clear
        it again, then still end up with junk! The Force wasn't with you this
        week...

        > Mamma Mia: Phil, Campbell, Brian, Mike and Gary
        >
        > Because of my lousy mood (the new dog's "accident" didn't help), the
        > bad Italian accents were like nails on chalkboard. I felt relieved
        > when they finished.

        Holy smokes, I vow to never play this game with Campbell and Phil again.
        I'm not much for theme games, and while Mamma Mia is no authentic
        pizza-making simulation, I don't think I could survive another evening
        in Attleboro's Little Italy. Also, I suck at this game.

        Goodbye again, Berna and James! Have a good life, indeed, but don't stay
        away forever.

        Eric-4

        P.S. Next week GSG will meet at Bruce's house in Warren. Will anyone
        make it out alive?

        --
        W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
        "But then to what end was this world formed?" said Candide.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          At 10:03 PM 6/30/2005, W. Eric Martin wrote:
          > > Bohnanza: Eric, Linda, Stephanie, Jeremy, Bob and Mark
          ><snip> Mark didn't seem outwardly down, making stinky bean jokes with the
          >rest of
          >us. You hide it well, Mark...

          Heheh, I do! In fact that's how I knew I was "off" it took work to be
          "me".

          >Mark, it was hard to imagine you recovering after spending $2,000 to
          >clear away two 9s (just so I wanted get one) only to be forced to clear
          >it again, then still end up with junk! The Force wasn't with you this
          >week...

          Yeah things were bad. I remember that I had one of the 7s for that 9
          and didn't have room to spare in my hand for the other. It was all just a
          bad dream.

          >P.S. Next week GSG will meet at Bruce's house in Warren. Will anyone
          >make it out alive?

          I'm scared too.

          "Logan... you renewed!"
          Francis-7