Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Monday

  • pldr
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2000
      ----------
      From: William Romaniecki <billrom@...>
      To: Unity_Games@egroups.com
      Subject: [Unity_Games] B&N Monday

      If I have a chance, I'll try to be there.

      If the amoebas had piats, Jim T. would play in a minute. How many
      amoebas does it take to man a HHG for DFF, SFF and FPFF?

      Pete de Rosa: Pete the history prof. at BW? If your that Pete, nice
      hearing from you. If your not, then I have no idea who you are.

      Bill

      ===================

      It's me. I'll see you Monday night if you make it.

      Pete
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
        > One observation about B&N. While I'm sure that we generate some business
        for them,
        > and it's good exposure for all of our groups, we should think about
        limiting attendance
        > so as not to completely alienate the store (or the Scrabblers, who were
        there before we
        > were).

        Mark's gonna have a field day with this!! Hooray, I won't be the only
        target for a while!!!

        > I suggest no more than two tables, which kind of limits us to 10. Who's in
        charge of this
        > meeting night/group, and would it be worthwhile to impose this
        restriction?

        My SSG group used to meet at B&N until I got the space at work. We started
        as 4 players last year and then grew to 6 and I always felt that with more
        it might impose on B&N so I moved it (plus table space, lighting and quiet
        atmosphere were generally more to my liking). When my group grew to 15, I
        started arranging a Monday meeting as well as the Saturday meeting, but now
        I just deal with Saturday and Monday is organized mainly by this list and
        anyone who wants to drop by the open game night.

        But it's B&N game nite and I suspect they will continue to say nothing as
        the number of gamers goes up. The worst that can happen is that they cut
        out game night - then I'd feel a bit awkward about having 12+ people in the
        cafe on Monday's (especially if they rename the night to open-guitar-night
        or some other event).

        dber@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
          Walter Wrote:
          > we should think about limiting attendance
          > so as not to completely alienate the store
          > (or the Scrabblers, who were there before we
          > were).

          Additional thoughts... I was one of the early Scrabble players. And the
          Game Night at B&N does not significantly pre-date the SSG's appearance there
          (in fact, at least one of the current Scrabble players asked us during our
          first or second visit if other Scrabble players ever came - I told them I
          had not seen any in recent weeks). If it was not clear from my previous
          message, I think inundating the B&N on any given night is not in the best
          interest of our groups or B&N - but it's open game night and so I think
          restrictions will leave bad tastes in people's mouths (as I've come to find
          out recently and for which I continue to feel badly).

          dber@...
        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
            I think that Walter's idea of limiting to ten the number of people (and maybe also the number of references to excretion) is a good one.

            It's also a good idea to be out of there before ten o'clock. Remember, we weren't told, "We're closing soon," but "We're closed."

            I for one won't be a regular at the B&N Walpole sessions. It's better for me to game inside (or at least not too far outside) 128. For those who prefer to be outside 128, Walter's group in Holliston sounds great!

            I made sure I was at B&N this Monday because I was intruiged by Ursuppe... and of course I was not disappointed.

            Andrew.

            ps for those who take vicarious pleasure in other people's purchases... Yes I have ordered Ursuppe (but not the expansion). I ordered it from Funagain at the Boulder price (which Funagain have agreed to match). I would have ordered it from Boulder, but they don't stock Wiz-War, which was in the same order.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
              > Andrew wrote:
              > It's also a good idea to be out of there before ten o'clock.
              > Remember, we weren't told, "We're closing soon," but "We're closed."

              Yes, I believe this is a change actually. At one time, I'm sure the store
              was open until 11PM although the Cafe closed at 10PM (several times Pete or
              I would wander the bookstore after gaming, but maybe I'm misremembering).
              However, on checking the hours posted, it's a 10PM close time for both now
              so I suspect that's a good suggestion. In the past, we were almost always
              finished by 9:30 or 9:45 at the *very* latest - even still, it was just
              barely 10PM when we were clearly up from the tables and leaving on Monday.
              I agree, cleanup should be no later than 9:45 - should take not more than 5
              or 10 minutes to vacate. With the longer games, unusual table arrangements
              and number of people, it did take a few minutes longer this week.

              dber@...
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                > > One observation about B&N. While I'm sure that we generate some business
                > for them,
                > > and it's good exposure for all of our groups, we should think about
                > limiting attendance
                > > so as not to completely alienate the store (or the Scrabblers, who were
                > there before we
                > > were).
                >
                > Mark's gonna have a field day with this!! Hooray, I won't be the only
                > target for a while!!!

                For some bizarre reason I have rec'd Dave's reply to Walter's message before
                I rec'd Walter's message!

                I agree that some alienation might take place, in fact that woman (manager?)
                who told us politely that the store was closed (and didn't even crack a glimmer
                of a smile when Rich joked with her) is some evidence that there already is some
                awkwardness in how to deal with us.

                But I'm totally against limiting attendance at the moment. The whole point
                of gaming there was that it was OPEN to all. I think the host of us that were
                there Monday night was a bit of a fluke. I know I won't be able to attend every
                Monday night.

                If we do start to see numbers like that on a consistent basis we should
                start to look for another place in the area to play. Heck it would be in our
                own best interests. A critical mass of 12+ gamers available for a weekly
                session is a terrible thing to waste. Let's not fritter away that very special
                thing by talking about limiting attendance.

                Surely we can find some American Legion, KoC, whatever hall nearby that'll
                allow us to use the building for a minimal fee (it's a weeknight after all).

                > > I suggest no more than two tables, which kind of limits us to 10. Who's in
                > charge of this
                > > meeting night/group, and would it be worthwhile to impose this
                > restriction?

                There's no one in charge of this gaming session. Dave and I discussed it
                and we figured that it'd be best if neither of us took the reigns, in hopes that
                folks would start to organize outside of our influence (as Andrew has done).
                Nowadays he or I simply post to the list about who's in for Monday night B&N (or
                Unity gaming as someone recently called it) gaming. Hopefully in the future
                Dave or I won't have to even to do that much.

                I do think that we should try to be as courteous as possible to the Scrabble
                gamers and other patrons. We should all try to purchase something at the cafe
                as a form of payment for the use of their area. We should try to be out of
                there before 10pm without any encouragement from the management. We should
                reset the tables back to their original configuration and generally clean up
                after ourselves before leaving. We should keep the noise down (no more KK&K
                games at B&N!), this goes double for those of us with booming voices (Rich!
                Don't mean to say that you're the single big noisemaker, but man you've got a
                booming voice! Ever consider a career as a circus barker? ;-) ).

                I continue to encourage anyone and everyone to come. If B&N has a problem
                with that, let them speak up about it. Or perhaps we should be proactive and
                mention to them that we'll be as courteous as possible and that if they have any
                problems please let us know. It can't hurt to open up a channel between us and
                the establishment.

                Mark

                NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...
                surprise and fear... fear and surprise... Our two weapons are fear and
                surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise,
                and ruthless efficiency... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our
                *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...are such
                elements as fear, surprise... I'll come in again.
              • Andy Latto
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                  From: AndAgainMA@...
                  Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:00:36 EDT

                  I think that Walter's idea of limiting to ten the number of people (and maybe also the number of references to excretion) is a good one.

                  I disagree. B&N has decided to have a game night. They have invited us
                  to come and play games in their cafe. They are the hosts, not us. We
                  have no business telling anyone that they shouldn't show up; it's B&N's
                  party, not ours.

                  That said, we should try hard to be good guests, so we don't overstay
                  our welcome. Use the minimum number of tables. I was the guilty party
                  here last week. Someone had to ask me to move my pile of games so they
                  could sit down and play scrabble. I should have put them on the table
                  we were already using, rather than spreading out to yet another table.

                  The scrabble players prefer a quiet atmosphere, conducive to concentration.
                  We would rather fill the cafe with noise and raucous laughter. There's
                  no perfect solution here, but we should be aware of the desires of others,
                  and try to strike a balance.

                  Most importantly:

                  It's also a good idea to be out of there before ten o'clock. Remember, we weren't told, "We're closing soon," but "We're closed."

                  Absolutetly! They may be open until 10, but they would probably like to
                  start cleaning things up before then, so that they can leave as soon after 10
                  as possible. I think we should aim at being finished at 9:45.

                  Andy.Latto@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                    Mark wrote:
                    > But I'm totally against limiting attendance at the moment.
                    > The whole point of gaming there was that it was OPEN to
                    > all. I think the host of us that were there Monday night was
                    > a bit of a fluke.

                    Possibly. But Jenn will free up for some Monday nights. So will Eddie and
                    Carol I suspect (as they were one of the early gamers I spent time with at
                    the Cafe). That 12 might have easily been 15. And even though neither of
                    us has been proactive in recuriting new people for the Unity Games list,
                    certianly more people will follow (I've still got two outstanding invites to
                    the list from people who have contacted me directly from finding my SSG and
                    game-related website). So although it might be a fluke - it's also possible
                    that it could grow.

                    > If we do start to see numbers like that on a consistent basis we should
                    > start to look for another place in the area to play.

                    I supose so... But many people might be coming because it's already a
                    convient and free place to play - with refreshments and snacks built-in. To
                    turn it into an event that must be organized will clearly cost time, money
                    and effort - and if not enough people show than the person who ran it will
                    be unhappy. I have no strong desire to run a 2nd group but possibly one of
                    the others might.

                    > It can't hurt to open up a channel between us and the establishment.

                    They chose to host game night and so I'm not sure we need to contact them on
                    this matter. But if you feel so inclined - feel free! :)

                    dber@...
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                      >Andy wrote:
                      > I disagree. B&N has decided to have a game night. They have invited us
                      > to come and play games in their cafe. They are the hosts, not us. We
                      > have no business telling anyone that they shouldn't show up; it's B&N's
                      > party, not ours.
                      >
                      > That said, we should try hard to be good guests, so we don't overstay
                      > our welcome.

                      These seem to be a bit contradictory to me. If we were to pack 15 gamers
                      into the cafe each week, I suspect they would have no choice but to shut
                      down game night. There would be no tables for any other players - and no
                      tables for patrons. Even if we all buy something at the Cafe (I almost
                      always get something or buy cookies for my game table), keep it clean (I
                      actually wash and wipe the tables before I start - but that's mainly due to
                      the fact that I'm putting down my surgically clean game boards on them), and
                      generally be out on time (as is normal, with the slight overrun of a couple
                      minutes this week) we are still taking up the space for 3+ hours and most
                      patrons will buy something, sit for 15-20 minutes, then leave - so they
                      might actually be loosing money if we pack it tight. And *that* would be
                      overstaying our welcome.

                      But I still generally agree with you - they host the night and I'm not going
                      to offend anyone by asking them not to come.

                      (Anyone want to bet that next Monday turnout will now be 3 people or less!!
                      hehehehe)

                      dber@...
                    • Mark Edwards
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                        Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                        > (Anyone want to bet that next Monday turnout will now be 3 people or less!!
                        > hehehehe)

                        Heheheh, probably true! Heck I know I'm currently unable to attend.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                          Mark Wrote:

                          > > (Anyone want to bet that next Monday turnout will now be 3 people or
                          less!!
                          > > hehehehe)
                          >
                          > Heheheh, probably true! Heck I know I'm currently unable to attend.

                          That's weak! Well, you better be available for Saturday then... hehehe....

                          I'll be there on Monday. If nobody else shows, maybe they'll let me play
                          Scrabble!

                          dber@...
                        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                            I hope that whoever's @B&N on Monday 31st has fun... unless of course they play Taj Mahal without me, in which case I hope their eleplant chokes on a Scrabble tile.

                            Andrew.
                          • pldr
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 26, 2000
                              ----------
                              > From: Dave Bernazzani <dber@...>
                              > To: Unity_Games@egroups.com
                              > Subject: Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Monday
                              > Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 1:17 PM
                              >

                              > > Andrew wrote:
                              > > It's also a good idea to be out of there before ten o'clock.
                              > > Remember, we weren't told, "We're closing soon," but "We're
                              closed."

                              > Yes, I believe this is a change actually. At one time, I'm sure
                              the store
                              > was open until 11PM although the Cafe closed at 10PM (several times
                              Pete or
                              > I would wander the bookstore after gaming, but maybe I'm
                              misremembering).
                              > However, on checking the hours posted, it's a 10PM close time for
                              both now
                              > so I suspect that's a good suggestion

                              I think they were open until 11 during Christmas season, which at the
                              Mall starts
                              around September. I agree that we should treat 9:45 as an absolute
                              deadline,
                              and have the place back to normal before leaving. B&N does hype
                              Games Night
                              in several places (I even get an ad in Galaxy's Streetmail
                              newsletter) so their
                              tolerance may be reasonably high. There are lots of people who sit
                              in the cafe
                              and read books and magazines without buying them---I suspect they
                              annoy
                              B&N more than we do.

                              I would second the idea of spending money at the cafe. Browsing the
                              main store
                              would also be good. If you buy books, leave the B&N bag prominently
                              displayed,
                              like on top of a pile of games. Limit the number of games you bring
                              into the place
                              so that it doesn't look like the cafe is overflowing with German
                              games. Keep noise
                              level down. Maybe stay away from 6-player games. 4-5 people around
                              a table
                              looks less intimidating.

                              In short, keep a lower profile, and spend money. That should help.

                              Pete
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 1, 2000
                                Eddie wrote:

                                > Has anyone played The Reef yet?

                                We got to see Das Reef played at the Gathering in Jay's English-pasted-up
                                version. I didn't get a chance to play it - but others seemed to like it.
                                It got a bit overshadowed by Blitz und Donner - (aka H&Z) which was more
                                popular. It's a cute fishing game with nice looking cards - same size as
                                Settlers Card Game if I remember right.

                                I've got The Reef (Rio Grande Games) on the way and it will be here today or
                                tommorow.

                                > How many Unity Gamers are going up to ConMan? Carol and I
                                > are trying to work our schedules to make it in time for Craigs
                                > tournament. I expect it will be one of the best cons in years if
                                > enough Unity Gamers are able to attend. We can always spill over
                                > into the open gaming tables if there is a crowd!

                                I'm still hoping to go and only yesterday realized Craig's event is on
                                Saturday morning (for some reason I thought it was scheduled on Friday). If
                                enough of us show, we can have our own open German/Euro game table.

                                dber@...