LOTR Rules Clarifications - Long post

  • Jacqueli Romaniecki
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2000
      I found the following on rec.board.games

      Chris, who does own LotR and who also checked with the game designer about this point ;p Reiner agreed that Gandalf Guidance can be used to move on the Activity line after an Event tile has been turned over but before the actual Event is carried out (i.e. just before you move the Event Marker, you can put on the Ring, call Gandalf or play a Yellow Feature card).

      My understanding: You call on Gandalf as an interrupt. You could *either* roll the die, move forward 3, then call Gandalf and back up 2 or roll the die, call Gandalf, back up 2, then move forward 3. What you can't do is move 2, call Gandalf and back up 2, then move 1. (or any variation that theme). And, FWIW, if you move forward and the Ring-bearer hooks up with Sauron, the game ends right there. Gandalf can no longer help you.

      Geenius at Wrok wrote:
      > OK, the rules say that a scenario is finished when one of two things
      > happens: the party reaches the last space on the main action line, or the
      > last event is executed.

      The rules did fail to make this clear. It's not just that the scenario is over but the game is over (well almost).

      If the event marker reaches "The Ring Is Mine!" then the game is over and the players have lost. Sauron comes and claims the Ring from the Ring-bearer.

      But, but, but.... there may be a last ditch effort to finish the game before he does this. As with any Event, the players can interrupt the sequence of play and either call Gandalf or slip on the Ring. If you can get to the 60 space then you might be able to lob the Ring into Mt. Doom before He can find you.

      In your case as you are on the 57 space, then Gandalf isn't much help. If you had been on 58 or 59 then by using Guidance then you could move to the end of the main Activity line (using the double Joker to move along to the end). You can then proceed with the attempt to dispose of the ring. Don't forget that such movement along the activity line can be done *before* the normal 'Playing One or Two Cards' part, you are still in the 'Reveal Event Tiles' section when you called Gandalf. Of course you need to have 5 shields and not have used Guidance yet (also note that Magic cannot be used to ignore this event as stated in the Rules).

      Alternately the Ring-bearer can slip on the ring and see if he can advance the marker on the main Activity line so it reaches the end. In your case as you are on 57 then you need to roll a Blank, one dot, or Eye. So, a 50/50 chance of avoiding Sauron long enough to reach Mt. Doom. Mind, with all this die rolling the Ring-bearer may cop it before the ring is placed on Mt. Doom but there is a chance. Feature cards like Belt and Mithril can avoid some of the die rolls (see one of my earlier posts about this).

      What you cannot do is use feature cards such as Gollum or other hobbit cards to reach the end of the main Activity line as these can be only played *after* resolving the Event. If you reach "The Ring Is Mine!" then it's to late for those to help. You can only use Gandalf or the Ring at this point.

      You can use Guidance *and* the Ring if you happen to be on space 54 to 59. Another thing you can't do is put on the Ring in the middle of moving for Guidance (for example) or vice versa. If you were on space 56 and put on the Ring, rolled a double symbol (so you get to move two spaces), you cannot called Guidance and jig around using Ring moves and Guidance moves to avoid all the Die symbols. e.g. Move one Guidance to the shield on 57, move one Ring to the die, thus avoid having to roll it), move the second Guidance to 59 onto a shield, and then the final Ring on 60 again avoiding having to roll.

      Oh yes, there is a slim chance that you could use the Staff. If the event tile which moved you forward to the last event space on Mordor happened to be a Sundial with three items on it, then it would be a great idea to play the Staff at this point. Mind it would be an even better idea to have played the Phial *before* the event tile was turned so you could finish the scenario off before you reached the last event.

      From Chris Lawson:
      I'm slowly progressing with the LotR FAQ which is in the form of an expanded explanation of the Event, cards, rules, etc.

      FAQ at: http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/lotr/

      More From Chris L.

      Scott Alan Woodard wrote:
      > OK, here's another one for Mr. Lawson (or any of you) to help me with...

      Maybe even one for Mr. Knizia ^_^

      > If the Ringbearer is forced to move to the same space as Sauron, is the
      > game over???

      Yes.

      "If your hobbit encounters Sauron (by being on the same space or beyond on the Corruption line) then you are eliminated from the game"... "As long as you are not the Ring-bearer, the game continues for the other players". If you happen to be Ring-bearer at the time, then the game is over as well and the Fellowship failed.

      Also "If you do not posses the required cards or shields, you must quit at once". So the game can end if you are the Ring-bearer and are unable to pay for an Event or die roll.

      But... there are ways to help this situation.

      You *can* react to an unexpected situation (like the result of a die roll or a turn of an Event tile). In these cases you can use Yellow Feature cards, call Gandalf or put on the Ring. This happens *before* you apply the results of the unexpected situation.

      So, if you roll the die and see that your hobbit would be eliminated from the game, you can first call Gandalf for Healing and / or play Elessar. You move the hobbit back one or two spaces towards the light and then finish off the interrupted die roll (i.e. you then apply the die roll result).

      Same as when you turn over an Event tile, you can react to it before you apply the result.

      > Also, let's say that a player has to roll the die and as a result, he has to
      > move his pawn three spaces forward on the Corruption track. Could this
      > player immediately call on Gandalf's Healing card to only move one space
      > instead of three (since Healing moves your pawn back two) or would you have
      > to move forward three (from the die roll) and THEN call on Gandalf to move
      > back two?

      You can play Healing first, move back two spaces, and then carry out the die roll by moving forward three spaces. You have to carry out each step in turn, you cannot move forward two, play Healing and move back two, then move forward one.

      So if you are in the very unusual situation where Sauron in on the 3 space, your hobbit is on the 1 space and you roll the three dots on a die roll, then you are doomed. This is because the hobbit can only move to the 0 space even if Healing was played. Even if Healing and Elessar were played, dead, dead ,dead. Unless Mithril was played of course ^_^ Note, it's to late to play Belt as the die has been rolled already.

      > The reason I ask this is that this is exactly what happened this evening,
      > which resulted in Frodo (the Ringbearer at the time) moving to Sauron's
      > space and we're trying to figure out if there was anything we could have
      > done to prevent this from happening...

      Hope some of the points above help then.

      Another good question by the way ^_^ Reiner was clear about the way it is meant to be played, I wasn't to sure.

      The general rule is that a die roll or Event tile *can* be countered. You may react to these and play a Yellow Feature card, call Gandalf or put on the Ring before you complete the original action.

      But you may *not* do the same when you play a card. The classic example is when you play the Gollum card, you may *not* interrupt the play of this card inbetween using the three Joker (star) symbols and rolling the die (with the one exception of playing the Belt).

      Cheers
      Chris