Re: [SR] FNF, 5/6: Polarity, Diamant, Louis XIV, Acquire, Bohnanza, Eye to Eye

  • Bob Vosper
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2005
      Maybe if you figure Polarity out, you could enlighten the rest of us.
      Read the rules, but you're right--not sure what exactly Im supposed to
      be doing.
      Bob

      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eric Martin" <eric@t...> wrote:
      > Turnout at Friday Night Fun was steady as usual with ten souls (or at
      > least ten soul receptacles) on hand to have some fun.
      >
      > Roll call: Brian, PD, Brent, Ryan, Gregg, Val, Marcie, Steve, Linda,
      Eric-4

> [...]
      > could then buy all this fabulous stuff.
      >
      > Eye to Eye (Val, Linda, Ryan, Marcie, Steve, Brian)
      > The rest of the crowd played this reverse Scattergories party game, and
      > Steve won, claiming that this was the only game he had won in the past
      > 27 years or so.
      >
      > Bohnanza (Val, Linda, Ryan, Marcie, Steve, Brian)
      > Linda talked everyone into playing her favorite game, and then she did
      > her usual giving away of cards that netted favors in return, thus
      giving
      > her an easy win over everyone else. As Val said, "You created a
      > comfortable atmosphere. It wasn't like we were competing at all." And
      > yet they were.
      >
      > Acquire (Gregg, Val, Brian, Linda, Eric)
      > We went looking for a 45-minute game, and I somehow thought Acquire fit
      > the bill. Or maybe I just wanted to play Acquire. Whatever the case, I
      > got to play Acquire for only the second time ever.
      >
      > Linda had played Big Boss a couple of times and really liked Kramer's
      > take on Acquire, but she found Acquire much harder to follow since
      > you're playing on the board in two dimensions. In Big Boss, you have
      the
      > 62 card and you know which spaces it's next to; in Acquire, you have to
      > look back and forth between your tiles and the board a lot more and she
      > found it hard to visualize. She was cash poor through most of the game
      > as she had invested heavily in Fusion, which had no chance of being
      > taken over. Her other stocks gave her no minority ownerships, so she
      won
      > almost nothing throughout the game -- and yet the Fusion came through
      > big for her in the end, growing past 41 tiles and netting her an
      $11,000
      > bonus, plus $9,900 for the stocks themselves. This almost put her in
      > second, but I beat her out by a few thousand.
      >
      > Brian easily won, topping $40,000 which put him nearly $5,000 ahead of
      > me. Brian and I had invested in generally the same stocks, but his
      > majority in Zeta proved far more valuable than mine in Phoenix. Special
      > mention for the valiant Sackson corporation, which was founded four
      > separate times, growing beyond two tiles only once. I really need to
      > play Acquire again soon.
      >
      > Speaking of which, the next Friday Night Fun will take place on Friday,
      > May 13 from 6:30-11:00. Yes, we're going to try to keep it weekly for
      > now and see whether the turnout holds up. If folks tire of gaming,
      we'll
      > scale it back; if not, I'll be able to cultivate more gamery gamers and
      > get some more heavy titles to the table. Hope to see some of you here!
      >
      > Eric-4
      >

      > --
      > W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      > "We all pretend to ourselves that we are more simple-minded than we
      are:
      > that is how we get a rest from our fellow men." - Nietzsche
    • W. Eric Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2005
        Bob,

        > Maybe if you figure Polarity out, you could enlighten the rest of us.
        > Read the rules, but you're right--not sure what exactly I'm supposed
        > to be doing.

        I've been in contact with one of the marketing folks at EKOS-USA, the
        American publisher of Polarity, so I'll pass on your comments (and mine)
        about confusion with the rules.

        I think the publisher and designer took such pains to be clear about
        what COULD happen on every turn that they obscured what you SHOULD be
        trying to do. The rulebook has no index or pull-out box a la Rio Grande
        that lets you find what you need quickly. I think I now have a handle on
        how to play, so I'll try to submit something to the list in the next day
        or so.

        Eric-4

        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2005
          That'd be great. Ive also had a few of my magnets come apart at the
          seams, so to speak. I emailed Ekos, no response yet. Think superglue
          would work?