[SR] FNF, 5/6: Polarity, Diamant, Louis XIV, Acquire, Bohnanza, Eye to Eye

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2005
      Turnout at Friday Night Fun was steady as usual with ten souls (or at
      least ten soul receptacles) on hand to have some fun.

      Roll call: Brian, PD, Brent, Ryan, Gregg, Val, Marcie, Steve, Linda, Eric-4

      Polarity (Brian, Eric)
      I had just received a copy of the new Polarity in the mail as I'm
      writing about the re-release of the game for GAMES magazine. Brian and I
      ran through two pseudo-games to get a feel for the wonky magnets and the
      crazy movement of the pieces. The rules booklet is elaborately laid out
      and nicely illustrated -- yet it's almost useless in terms of what you
      must do on a turn and what the consequences are if you fail. I think I
      have it figured out now, but I pity anyone who tries to grok the game
      solely from the rulebook.

      Diamant (Brian, PD, Brent, Ryan, Linda, Eric + Gregg and Val in game 2)
      Two quick games of Diamant with Ryan and PD winning the first with 19
      gems and Brent and Ryan winning the second with 16. Linda followed her
      usual strategy of never stopping in the mines, advancing each time until
      she died, thus netting her a score of zero in both games. People say
      Diamant is the new Can't Stop; Linda's apparently taken that description
      to heart.

      Louis XIV (Gregg, PD, Brent, Eric)
      I was happy that Gregg wanted to try out Louis XIV; he seemed interested
      in it last week, but the mood of the crowd ran the other way then. This
      time, Brent and his wife PD decided they wanted to try something a bit
      heavier than the party game running in the other room.

      As expected, the guy who had played the game previously (me) won easily
      by 14 points or so. The first game of Louis really seems to be about
      learning how to play. Who might have which cards that allow them to
      compete for which items? You can get a handle on reading people, which
      helps you play towards tiles they won't compete on. I tried to stress
      how your influence markers were banished to the general supply when you
      won a clear majority, yet everyone else was still taken aback when they
      had few markers to work with in certain rounds. Sure, you want to win
      majorities, but you want to win small -- and sometimes you just want to
      forget about it and go somewhere else.

      The special powers on the most difficult mission cards really affect
      your strategy in the later rounds. I had completed the one that lets me
      bribe for one less Louisdor, so I was able to spread guys all over the
      board, knowing that I only had to focus on winning Louisdor, so that I
      could then buy all this fabulous stuff.

      Eye to Eye (Val, Linda, Ryan, Marcie, Steve, Brian)
      The rest of the crowd played this reverse Scattergories party game, and
      Steve won, claiming that this was the only game he had won in the past
      27 years or so.

      Bohnanza (Val, Linda, Ryan, Marcie, Steve, Brian)
      Linda talked everyone into playing her favorite game, and then she did
      her usual giving away of cards that netted favors in return, thus giving
      her an easy win over everyone else. As Val said, "You created a
      comfortable atmosphere. It wasn't like we were competing at all." And
      yet they were.

      Acquire (Gregg, Val, Brian, Linda, Eric)
      We went looking for a 45-minute game, and I somehow thought Acquire fit
      the bill. Or maybe I just wanted to play Acquire. Whatever the case, I
      got to play Acquire for only the second time ever.

      Linda had played Big Boss a couple of times and really liked Kramer's
      take on Acquire, but she found Acquire much harder to follow since
      you're playing on the board in two dimensions. In Big Boss, you have the
      62 card and you know which spaces it's next to; in Acquire, you have to
      look back and forth between your tiles and the board a lot more and she
      found it hard to visualize. She was cash poor through most of the game
      as she had invested heavily in Fusion, which had no chance of being
      taken over. Her other stocks gave her no minority ownerships, so she won
      almost nothing throughout the game -- and yet the Fusion came through
      big for her in the end, growing past 41 tiles and netting her an $11,000
      bonus, plus $9,900 for the stocks themselves. This almost put her in
      second, but I beat her out by a few thousand.

      Brian easily won, topping $40,000 which put him nearly $5,000 ahead of
      me. Brian and I had invested in generally the same stocks, but his
      majority in Zeta proved far more valuable than mine in Phoenix. Special
      mention for the valiant Sackson corporation, which was founded four
      separate times, growing beyond two tiles only once. I really need to
      play Acquire again soon.

      Speaking of which, the next Friday Night Fun will take place on Friday,
      May 13 from 6:30-11:00. Yes, we're going to try to keep it weekly for
      now and see whether the turnout holds up. If folks tire of gaming, we'll
      scale it back; if not, I'll be able to cultivate more gamery gamers and
      get some more heavy titles to the table. Hope to see some of you here!

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "We all pretend to ourselves that we are more simple-minded than we are:
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2005
        Maybe if you figure Polarity out, you could enlighten the rest of us.
        Read the rules, but you're right--not sure what exactly Im supposed to
        be doing.
        Bob

        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2005
          Bob,

          > Maybe if you figure Polarity out, you could enlighten the rest of us.
          > Read the rules, but you're right--not sure what exactly I'm supposed
          > to be doing.

          I've been in contact with one of the marketing folks at EKOS-USA, the
          American publisher of Polarity, so I'll pass on your comments (and mine)
          about confusion with the rules.

          I think the publisher and designer took such pains to be clear about
          what COULD happen on every turn that they obscured what you SHOULD be
          trying to do. The rulebook has no index or pull-out box a la Rio Grande
          that lets you find what you need quickly. I think I now have a handle on
          how to play, so I'll try to submit something to the list in the next day
          or so.

          Eric-4

          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2005
            That'd be great. Ive also had a few of my magnets come apart at the
            seams, so to speak. I emailed Ekos, no response yet. Think superglue
            would work?