[SR] FNF, 4/29: TtR Europe, Ave Caesar, DdW, Diamant, Louis XIV, etc.

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Friday Night Fun returned on the final Friday in April, and we had
      another fine turnout. Some gamers show up at every session, and others
      come only every fifth session or so, yet we always have at least ten
      players on hand. Perhaps they schedule such things amongst themselves in
      their dreams....

      Role call: Brian, Craig, Gregg, Val, Stephanie, Jeremy, Ryan, Brent,
      Linda, Eric-4

      Ticket to Ride Europe (Brian, Craig, Eric)

      The clock neared 7, and only two people had arrived by then, so we gave
      up waiting and started the new version of TtR. Craig was new to the game
      but had played the original a lot, so we started quickly.

      There was heated competition in the Alps and in southern Europe, yet
      even with one side of the double routes closed off, I think only one
      player used one station by game's end. We managed to worm through each
      other's lines and almost always get where we needed to go. I tried to
      save cards for the huge tunnel to Siberia, yet had to bail as Brian
      started running low on trains. Instead I had to complete 4, 4, and
      3-train routes to stretch my line to Petrograd; that's 18 points vs 21
      for the long tunnel, but spending three turns playing cards gave Brian
      plenty of time to do everything he wanted. He beat me by a dozen or so
      points, with Craig lagging in third at 100 points thanks to a missed
      8-point route.

      Coloretto (Jeremy, Stephanie, Linda)

      Two others showed up during TtR, so Linda joined them in a quick game of
      Coloretto. Chameleons were revealed and points were scored.

      Diamant (everyone but Brent and Ryan)

      I've been playing Diamant a lot recently as it scales well from 3-8
      players and the game lasts about 10 minutes. Some have complained about
      the price based on the components that come with the game, but I've
      definitely gotten my money's worth out of the game. Two quick games,
      then we were into the pizza-slicing portion of game night.

      Ostrakon (everyone but Brent and Ryan)

      Craig gave me this "philosophical party game" for my birthday, and since
      it scales from 5-12 we decided to try it out. To set up the game, you
      lay out a track of cards and a few subject cards; each player takes two
      character cards, one with a white stone on one side and a black stone on
      the other.

      During a round, players take turns asking one question (on a subject
      determined by the subject cards) that has exactly two answers; a player
      declares which answer equals a white stone and which equals black.
      (Example: "Do you sing out loud while taking a shower? White equals yes,
      black no.") Players all hide their answer cards under their hands, while
      the asker secretly places face-up whichever color stone he thinks will
      be most popular.

      Everyone reveals their cards; if the majority of answers matches the
      asker, he then moves his character card forward a number of spaces equal
      to how many people DISAGREED with him. So to move forward, you try to
      ask questions that divide the group as evenly as possible, then guess
      which answer will have an edge. An interesting idea, although it's only
      as philosophical as you make it with your questions.

      We called the game after two rounds (out of the five we should play with
      eight players) because more people showed up.

      Apples to Apples (everyone but Val and Eric)

      Nouns were selected; groans were issued. Jeremy won.

      Durch die Wüste (Val, Eric)

      We opted for something other than the party game, and Val said DdW
      sounded like something she'd like. I taught her the rules, gave pointers
      during the game (like placing a camel slightly differently to enclose
      more area or making sure she knew about the endgame condition and
      majority scoring), then beat her anyway by 50 points or so. The first
      game of DdW is usually rough, but I think she enjoyed it anyway,
      especially since she's played Go previously.

      Ave Caesar (Gregg, Stephanie, Craig, Brian, Eric, Jeremy)

      Gregg asked to play this racing game, and I happily agreed as I love the
      screwage that always results -- and boy, did Stephanie do a fine job in
      this game.

      While going counter-clockwise on the yellow trail, she blocked four
      riders by stopping in the space immediately past Caesar's alley; then
      she stopped in the single space just past the alley, blocking them
      again; then she grabbed the single space in the turn, forcing others the
      long way; then she played a 1 to stop in the bottleneck, again hosing
      everyone! Good times, especially since I was the only one she wasn't
      blocking, so I grabbed a fine lead during the second lap while she held
      everyone back.

      Stephanie and I had to see Caesar on that second lap, but I managed to
      keep a slight lead over everyone. Coming into the final turn, I had a
      1,2, and 6, yet couldn't play the 6 as I was in the lead. I played the
      1, hoping for someone to pass me; Stephanie did, as she was (rightly)
      afraid of being blocked if she didn't overtake me, so I was able to fly
      past her for the win.

      She came in second, and everyone else finished shortly afterward, except
      for Jeremy who ran out of oats one space shy of the finish line. He
      started in the number six spot and had been hosed all game, always
      having exactly the wrong card so that he had to take the long route.
      Next time, Jeremy!

      Louis XIV (Craig, Eric)

      Everyone else took off, but Craig is a big fan of Goa, so I taught him
      this new Rüdiger Dorn game. This was my first time playing with only two
      players, and the game had a much different feel. To create competition
      on certain tiles, you use eight pieces of a third color, two placed with
      Louis and the other six placed on three random spots as determined by
      influence cards you flip over.

      In the first two rounds, four neutral pieces ended up on Louis, so we
      avoided those tiles almost completely. I managed to win several tiles
      with a 1-0 advantage, while Craig generally won tiles with a 2-1 or 3-2
      edge; this sent many more of his influence markers into the general
      supply, so I had an edge almost the entire game. He did complete two
      mission cards that gave him an edge on influence cards, but he had to
      spend the extra ones just getting back markers, so he had no real advantage.

      During the final round, I won Louis' favor, bought one crown and netted
      another; three crowns along with three other mission chips (one won with
      a mission card that lets you win a tie) allowed me to finish three
      missions. In the end, I completed nine missions and had 12 shields,
      netting three more during the bonus round for a final score of 60. Craig
      completed seven missions and ended up with 11 shields.

      The small wins I squeeked out again and again during the game allowed me
      to keep building momentum and winning shields. The game works well with
      only two players, but you have to approach everything differently since
      you can reasonably compete on many more tiles.

      ---

      Thus endeth FNF for April 29. We'll put another one together in only one
      week on May 6. Hope to see some more of you then!

      Eric-4

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      "We all pretend to ourselves that we are more simple-minded than we are: