[SR] GSG 03/29: Gunslinger, Gracias, Gouda Gouda, Gulo Gulo, Goldland, and some non-G games.

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 9:41 AM
      ATTENDEES: Mark, Brian, James, Dan, Bob, Tami, Jeremy, Stephanie, Phil

      GAMES PLAYED: Gunslinger, Gracias, Gouda Gouda, Gulo Gulo, Goldland,
      Traumfabrik, Schnappchen Jagd

      GUNSLINGER: Dan, James, Brian, Mark, Bob

      Mark's been itching to bring this AH classic to the table ever since
      he acquired some gee-nifty mini cowboys and desperados. Early on Dan
      was the prime target, but managed to dance with bullets and avoid any
      serious injury. Then, on his first shot of the game, he turned and
      plunked Bob right between the eyes! I don't know whether "Dead-eye"
      Dan won the game, but Bob was the first player eliminated and thus
      relegated to the kiddie table.

      GRACIAS: Phil, Tami, Jeremy, Stephanie

      I taught this new set-collection game to the other players. Even
      though I've played this a half-dozen times, I've yet to discover any
      strategy in this game. I try my best to diversify and to avoid taking
      cards for which I have counterparts in my hidden stack. Well, unless
      I've got three of kind, in which case I try to get to five so as to
      score the piddly one point and possibly hose other players. We were
      all very cordial to one another, being sure to say "Gracias" whenever
      receiving a gift card from another player. Even though I scored the
      most points in each of the first two rounds there didn't seem to be a
      movement to burden me with many gift cards in the last round. I won
      this round, too, and took the victory. My score was 7+7+9 = 23, while
      the others were between 13-20. While I like the selection and
      gift-giving aspects of this game, I don't find the theme compelling,
      and feel like I have no control over my destiny. Perhaps I am not the
      target demographic for this game.

      GOUDA GOUDA: Jeremy, Stephanie, Tami, Phil

      Tami tought this game to the rest of us. We only played with the
      basic rules, which was probably a mistake as this makes the game
      little more than a roll-and-move affair. Each player controls five
      mice who are trying to scamper up a series of connected platforms to
      the top, where there is a lump of cheese. In turn, each player
      selects a platform, and then rolls a number of dice (max=5) equal to
      the number of mice on the platform. The dice have two green circles,
      two yellow circles, and two red circles. Mice are moved upward for
      each green circle and downward for each red circle. After 15 or so
      rounds of little progress, I decided to concentrate on making ANYONE
      win because a) I was disappointed with the game, and b) the food had
      arrived and I was hungry. I think the others sensed and agreed with
      my sentiments; unfortunately we kept rolling red circles for Steph's
      mice, who had been the closest to the cheese. Finally Jeremy fielded
      a lucky mouse who received three successive green circles and took the
      win. If I ever try this again it will be with the advanced rules.

      GULO GULO: Stephanie, Jeremy, Phil, Tami, Bob

      I taught this game to four other hungry wolverines who each attempted
      to steal eggs while not setting off the egg alarm. This dexterity
      game is a quick little filler (although it comes in an over-sized box)
      that is different enough to be a pleasant hit with most gamers.
      Stephanie, with her long nails and steel nerve, proved to be the most
      adept at plucking eggs and took the win.

      GOLDLAND: Phil, Tami, Bob, Stephanie, Jeremy

      Five of us, including rookies Bob, Stephanie, and Jeremy, put on
      fedoras and strapped on backbacks as we embarked for the unknown
      reaches of South America, looking for the elusive Goldland. Everyone
      but Jeremy seemed to find adventures right away. Bob was king of the
      desert and lord of the lakes, Stephanie took control of the rope
      bridges, and Tami and I fought over the Pumas, Natives, and Banditos.
      Through the use of exploration tokens I was able to defeat some
      Banditos and explore the corner spot before Tami, and was thus able to
      place the end square to my advantage. However, I needed to backtrack
      and acquire some wood in order to build a raft, and while I was doing
      this Tami completed an ordeal to reach the end square before me. Tami
      wound up being the only person to collect the two coin bonus for
      reaching the end square in the fewest turns. However, she was kind've
      stuck there, as she didn't have the goods to defeat all of the
      Banditos along the known path. So she fished a little and was able to
      backtrack through the ordeal again. Meanwhile I built my raft and
      ambled over to collect my amulet. Jeremy eventually reached the goal,
      but Stephanie and Bob showed no interest in obtaining amulets, opting
      instead to try to uncover the remaining treasures that were scattered
      on the board. Soon all twelve coins from the end square were taken,
      thus ending the game. I won with a score of 22 (a 3pt amulet, 2 3pt
      treasures, 5 coins, the 5pt Bandito and the 3pt Chasm markers). Tami
      was next with a score of 19, followed by Bob (11), Stephanie (9), and
      Jeremy (8). Both Jeremy and Stephanie agreed they would play
      differently next time, now that they fully understand the game.

      TRAUMFABRIK: Mark, Dan, Brian, James

      I don't know who won this game. I do know that Bob was itching to
      play, but was trapped with us playing Goldland.

      SCHNAPPCHEN JAGD: Phil, Tami, Jeremy

      Stephanie had to leave, and Bob was content observing the end of
      Traumfabrik, so we three decided to go bargain hunting. Jeremy was
      new to this trick-taking game, but seemed to quickly catch on to the
      rules. No one cleared anything after the first round, and I think I
      was the only one who cleared after the second round. I took a lot of
      tricks in the early rounds, but wound up just taking one or two over
      the last two rounds. Tami stunned me when she cleared 8 cards in one
      round, but she ended the game with four stacks of 5 cards (and she
      could only clear two of the stacks). I was able to clear all of my
      big stacks, and edged out the win. Scores were 19-12=7, 19-15=4,
      15-12=3.

      QUICK SR FROM 3/22: We had 14 gamers in attendence, including Don, who
      most of us hadn't seen in about a year. Games played included: Titan:
      the Arena, Diamant, High Society x2, Ra, Vinci, Falche FuFFziger (for
      which I explained *three* rules wrong -- D'oh!), Lost Cities, and a
      Bruce prototype.

      Thanks to Mark for hosting. Next week will be a road show at the
      Alberg Abode in Cumberland.

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games 10 - TBD
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      "Pain is temporary; film is forever" -- Peter Jackson
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 10:57 AM
        At 12:41 PM 4/1/2005, Phil Alberg wrote:

        >GUNSLINGER: Dan, James, Brian, Mark, Bob
        >
        >Mark's been itching to bring this AH classic to the table ever since
        >he acquired some gee-nifty mini cowboys and desperados. Early on Dan
        >was the prime target, but managed to dance with bullets and avoid any
        >serious injury. Then, on his first shot of the game, he turned and
        >plunked Bob right between the eyes! I don't know whether "Dead-eye"
        >Dan won the game, but Bob was the first player eliminated and thus
        >relegated to the kiddie table.

        We played a heavily modified version of the "Thieves Fall Out"
        scenario. We each started on the outskirts of the map. In the center of
        the map were many sacks of gold and a few weapons (rifles, knifes,
        etc.). Each of us started with a Colt 45, but only 6 bullets. Thus the
        weapons in the center. We awarded points for gold retrieved and fellow bad
        guys killed or wounded. And just for giggles we added an NPC, an old women
        attempting to carry off 2 sacks of gold from our pile of loot. Killing her
        was not cool though, and netted you negative points. She wandered around
        aimlessly for most of the fight.
        The gold quickly became an afterthought as events devolved into a nasty
        street fight. Bob made the first move by running directly towards James
        with his gun blazing away. James turned to greet this hail of bullets with
        some return fire of his own, but quickly thought better of it and dashed
        off towards the middle, with Bob following.
        Meanwhile Dan made a beeline for the pile of loot while Brian at him
        the entire way in. Brian set himself up behind a pile of dice, er, rather
        an outcropping of rocks and kept on firing. I dashed behind some cover and
        threw some lead at Dan also. Somehow the bastard survived and made it to
        the weapons and gold. He hurriedly grabbed a Springfield 58' trapdoor
        rifle because it packed a powerful punch, but then changed his mind when he
        realized it was a single shot rifle that needed to be reloaded after each
        shot. His next choice was a Winchester 44, a very nasty weapon itself as
        the rest of us were about to discover.
        While Dan made off with his rifle to the nearest cover (and Brian still
        blazing away at him) James made a dive into the pile of loot at a dead run
        with Bob and I not far behind. I fired at close range but just missed his
        diving form. While he rummaged around for a gun of his own Bob decided I
        was the new target for his insane fury. He fired and missed. I turned to
        face my attacker, cocking my gun and aiming carefully. Too late! He fired
        again and hit me in the chest, dealing me a near deadly wound. I staggered
        about, staggered again, and staggered thrice more until we figured out the
        proper staggering rules. In the end the result was me in a heap, but not
        quite dead.
        Dan finally ended his made dash when he took up position behind some
        barrels and brought up his shiny new Winchester 44. His sites descended on
        me, but seeing that squirming on the ground in agony he decided the old
        crazy man was more of a threat so he leveled the sights on the back of
        Bob's head and pulled the trigger. Down went Bob, dead from a single
        bullet through the throat.
        While Bob's green Vulcan blood spilled onto the desert floor James
        grabbed the Springfield rifle and crawled towards cover, away from Dan and
        his deadly Winchester. Brian decided he had had enough of Dan and turned
        his wrath to an easier target. The old woman meandering on the far side of
        the map. He took off in a sprint straight for her, ignoring the bullets
        whizzing by, intent upon chasing the old lady down. I collected enough
        wits to start to crawl towards the loot and made it there! I spotted a
        Winchester carbine, a useful weapon in this kind of fight and reached for it.
        Again I was a little slow as Dan aimed carefully and put another bullet
        into my chest (that's never gonna heal!). I succumbed to my wounds. On my
        tombstone, "Moseying Mark - One Step Too Slow". James reached a pile of
        rocks and loaded his rifle. He then leaned out and took aim at Dan. But
        yet again Dan was the quicker and hit him in the left shoulder, wounding
        him badly. Load, aiming and shooting became a painfully slow process for
        James. On top of that he was fading fast from loss of blood.
        Brian caught up to the old woman and cruelly, and without an
        afterthought, cold cocked her on the back of the head with his pistol. She
        fell with a thud and a whimper. He groped around her body (ewwww) for the
        sacks of gold and took them from her. His lust for the old woman sated he
        again decided Dan was public enemy number one and ran straight for him.
        Dan turned to face this new threat and again cooly recocked his
        Winchester and took aim at his charging foe. James shakily brought up his
        Springfield and tried to get Dan in his sights. He suddenly grimaced in
        pain and lost his aim. He cursed and brought up the rifle again, but again
        a spasm of agony wracked his body. This time it resulted in a wild
        shot. The reloading, recocking and reaiming process started yet
        again. Only now everything seemed to swim and fade as he went through the
        motions.
        Dan, now known as The Killing Machine, cooly shot the approaching
        Brian. Stopping him and throwing him to the ground. Luckily for Brian the
        wound wasn't too bad as luckily it had him in the groin, for him a
        non-vital region. He also staggered and fell behind a clump of boulders,
        good news all around.
        TKM turned his attention back to the woozy James and again cooly
        recocked, reaimed and fired. He missed and missed yet again. All the
        while James steadied his rifle and tried to aim between Dan's beady
        eyes. Brian got off another shot at Dan, just missing him, but again
        drawing TKM's wrath. Brian was down to his last bullet in his gun. Yet
        TKM had lost a bit of his cool eye as he turned back and forth to shoot at
        his attackers. He realized he was in a deadly crossfire. Unfortunately
        for him it was too late.
        After what seemed an eternity of aiming all three gunfighters fired
        simultaneously. When the smoke cleared Dan lay dead, two bullets in his
        brain. One between the eyes and one in through the his ear. His final
        shot glanced harmlessly off the rocks in front of Brian.
        With vengeance his, James passed out. Brian walked over to the gold
        and loaded it onto the back of the old woman who had finally regained
        consciousness. He made her an honest woman and they lived happily ever
        after in nice little homestead somewhere in Nevada. She happily sold her
        apples at a farm stand in front of their house while he took random
        potshots at customers he thought he recognized from the old days.
        James did recover from his wounds only to be killed a few years later
        while buying an apple.

        >TRAUMFABRIK: Mark, Dan, Brian, James
        >
        >I don't know who won this game. I do know that Bob was itching to
        >play, but was trapped with us playing Goldland.

        TKM swept the floor with us.

        >QUICK SR FROM 3/22: We had 14 gamers in attendence, including Don, who
        >most of us hadn't seen in about a year. Games played included: Titan:
        >the Arena, Diamant, High Society x2, Ra, Vinci, Falche FuFFziger (for
        >which I explained *three* rules wrong -- D'oh!), Lost Cities, and a
        >Bruce prototype.

        There were gamers coming out of the woodwork here! Don, Dan, Steve,
        Bruce, Bill, Brian, Bob, James, Tami, Stephanie, Jeremy, Phil, Zack and
        myself. Did I miss anyone?

        Thanks for the report Phil. I've been meaning to do a SR on that game
        of Gunslinger and thankfully your email inspired me to write it.

        Mark