[AUGA] 2004 Annual Unity Games Awards

  • Adam Smiles
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      It's that time of year again. Time to vote for the 2004 AUGAs (Annual Unity
      Game Awards). Hopefully most people have had a chance to play the games
      released at the end of 2004 and haven't completely forgotten about the games
      released at the beginning of the year.

      The AUGAs were originally concieved by Andrew Watson and are now run by
      Craig Massey and myself.

      There are 4 AUGAs give out every year. There is an all inclusive Best Game
      of the Year Award, given to the game the Unity Game Community thinks is the
      best. There are also 3 smaller awards given to the Best 2-Player Game, the
      Best Multi-Player Board Game and Best Multi-Player Card Game.
      It is possible (and likely) that the Best Overall Game will also win one of
      the other 3 awards.

      When you fill out your ballot you need to list a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
      choice for each of the 4 awards. So you should have 12 games on the list,
      at least 9 of which should be unique. You are allowed to repeat the games
      for the overall award from the other categories, but you are not required
      to. Points will awarded for votes (4 for first, 2 for second and 1 for
      third). Which ever game has accumulated the most points will win the award.

      In order for a game to be eligible it must have been originally released in
      2004. Generally re-prints and re-themings are not allowed unless there are
      significant changes to the game play. Expansions are not allowed, but
      spin-off stand-alone games are allowed. Some examples: Colossal Arena is
      not eligible, because it is a re-release of Titan the Arena which was
      released prior to 2004. Power Grid is listed, because it has significantly
      different game play than it precursor Funkenschlag. Carcassonne: The Count
      is not eligible because it is an expansion. Carcassonne: The City is
      eliigible because it is a stand-alone game that was released in 2004.

      Some people will ask, what we mean by "Best Game". Is it most fun? Is it
      most creative or inspired design? Is it most engaging theme? We don't try
      and define it for you. Best means whatever you want it to mean. And it's
      perfectly fine if "Best Game" means different things to different people.

      At the end of this email will be a list of eligible game entries. It is not
      a complete list, but will serve as a guideline for potential games to vote
      for. The list was generated from the BoardGameGeek, using a rating cutoff
      and filtered for pure wargames and miniatures. It was then circultated to a
      handful of people to see if there were any glaring omissions. Feel free to
      vote for any games that are not on this list, so long as they meet the
      eligibility criteria.

      We'll give people a few weeks to get their ballots in order, so the deadline
      for ballot submissions will be March 16. Right between the Ides of March
      and St. Patrick's Day. You need to send your ballot to me at adamsmiles @
      hotmail.com. Please put an [AUGA] tag in the subject line. Also please
      send it to me directly and not to the entire list.

      I think that covers just about everything. If you have any questions,
      please let Craig or I know.

      -Adam & Craig

      2-Player Games:
      Adam & Eva