Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Fifth Avenue Freeze Out

  • Josh Bluestein
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
      > From: "W. Eric Martin" <eric@...>
      > J C Lawrence wrote:
      > > Does this mean that players need to aggressively zero-sum optimise their
      > > moves for the game to come to life in this regard? ie If the players
      > > don't fight for relative point maximisation rather than simple personal
      > > point maximisation, the game falters, badly.
      >
      > Zzzzzzz-- huh, wha, oh, sorry. With this kind of talk about the game, no
      > wonder Fifth Avenue has never "come to life" on a big scale.

      Either that or it's a clarion call to not let JC write promotional
      marketing literature for anything you want people to actually, um,
      buy.

      Not that's he necessarily wrong in what he's saying...

      Josh
    • Josh Bluestein
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
        > From: "J C Lawrence" <claw@...>
        > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:18:03 -0800 (PST)
        > Christopher Lockheardt <clockheardt@...> wrote:
        >
        > > - Placing businesses beside your buildings increases your buildings'
        > > value. Thus, in a game of hard choices, this action is often the
        > > easiest to make. But if everyone makes it, the game ends way before
        > > its supposed to.
        >
        > Does this mean that players need to aggressively zero-sum optimise their
        > moves for the game to come to life in this regard? ie If the players
        > don't fight for relative point maximisation rather than simple personal
        > point maximisation, the game falters, badly.

        Well, it means that if all you take is a very short-term view of the
        play of the game, all you get is a very short term. Interestingly, I
        don't think the game actually favors the strategy of putting out lots
        of businesses. In a situation like this I believe that the advantage
        will go to the person who gets in a few good points elsewhere by
        dropping some new buildings or meeting the intermediate scoring
        requirements. Placing lots of businesses quickly does end the game
        fast, but it doesn't *win* the game.

        > > - If the Commissioner is on your block, you can score all the points
        > > you've been working so hard to set up. But you can't move the
        > > Commissioner and score the block, so you have to move the Commissioner
        > > to your block and hope that the next player scores it, which, of
        > > course, often requires that the next player to have an equal or
        > > greater point potential than you do in that block.
        >
        > > The lessons of the game are, 1) Don't increase the value of your
        > > buildings because that will end the game too early, and 2) Don't
        > > bother setting yourself up to score unless your neighbor will score
        > > more points than you will.

        > This sounds like the necessary approach to succeed by a) collecting
        > a host of second-place scores rather than heading for the big
        > payouts for yourself, and b) build areas that other players want you
        > to score despite the fact that it gives you a tonne of points.
        > Which, if right, is rather clever and really enforces some of the
        > nastier aspects of differential value calculation.

        The above paragraph has been officially sanitized. The new version
        follows below:

        "So, dude, the idea is to get other people to make moves that benefit
        you more than your moves benefit them? That's totally AWESOME!!!"

        Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated, citizen.

        Please move along now.
      • Walter Hunt
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
          On Jan 4, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Josh Bluestein wrote:

          > Either that or it's a clarion call to not let JC write promotional
          > marketing literature for anything you want people to actually, um,
          > buy.
          >
          > Not that's he necessarily wrong in what he's saying...

          Sounds like choice two. Of course, that would probably qualify him as a
          marketing-communications guy, based
          on what I've seen.

          Of course I've played Fifth Avenue too, and thought it sucked. Just
          like the original post - it sucks the life out of you.

          Walter H. Hunt
          hotc@...
          http://www.walterhunt.com/

        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
            --- Walter Hunt <hotc@...> wrote:

            > On Jan 4, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Josh Bluestein wrote:
            >
            > > Either that or it's a clarion call to not let JC
            > write promotional
            > > marketing literature for anything you want people
            > to actually, um,
            > > buy.
            > >
            > > Not that's he necessarily wrong in what he's
            > saying...
            >
            > Sounds like choice two. Of course, that would
            > probably qualify him as a
            > marketing-communications guy, based
            > on what I've seen.
            >
            > Of course I've played Fifth Avenue too, and thought
            > it sucked. Just
            > like the original post - it sucks the life out of
            > you.

            I had a very similar experience after my first playing
            of Fifth Avenue. No shortage of groupthink in this
            game. If you have only played the game once, give it
            a second try. Its not going to set the world aflame,
            but it is not nearly as bad as so many seem to say.

            Save life sucking hyperbole for things like Tongiaki,
            JC's post, etc.

            Craig

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • tool@panix.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
              > I had a very similar experience after my first playing
              > of Fifth Avenue. No shortage of groupthink in this
              > game. If you have only played the game once, give it
              > a second try. Its not going to set the world aflame,
              > but it is not nearly as bad as so many seem to say.
              >
              > Save life sucking hyperbole for things like Tongiaki,
              > JC's post, etc.

              I agree the game's not terrible. It's got interlocking systems,
              there are lots of decisions to be made, and there are subtleties
              to the gameplay. However, for me it just wasn't much fun - why,
              I can't say, but it wasn't, despite everything. Other people I
              have played with have had a similar reaction.

              Dan Blum tool@...
            • Craig B
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
                Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

                > I had a very similar experience after my first playing
                > of Fifth Avenue. No shortage of groupthink in this
                > game. If you have only played the game once, give it
                > a second try. Its not going to set the world aflame,
                > but it is not nearly as bad as so many seem to say.
                >
                > Save life sucking hyperbole for things like Tongiaki,
                > JC's post, etc.

                Fifth Avenue is admittedly very very dry as a game. I mostly felt
                clueless during it. Not my favorite, but far from the worst I've
                played.

                However, Tongiaki was quite good, I think (It's the Tiki island boats
                game?). If so, I played twice at UG8 and had a great time.

                =====
                Craig Brooks
                Cheapass Demo Monkey / MIB #0411 email: gilby123@...
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma/gilby123/index.html