Vericon Boardgame Tournament ?

  • chris_roberts_42
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2004
      Hello,

      For those who don't know. Vericon is a small convention held yearly
      at Harvard University, Jan. 28-30 this year. Its mostly board gaming,
      anime, and RPGs/LARPs with a bit of regular con stuff (authors,
      designers, etc). I was thinking it could be fun to hold some kind of
      boardgaming tournament this year, on the Friday night (Jan. 28) so
      I'm not competing with UG9.
      There are some issues though. Foremost is that I'd have to make sure
      there were enough copies there of whichever game to play. I tend not
      to own multiple copies of games (although oddly I do have some). Also
      as I'd want the tournament to be open to anyone at the con so the
      game would have to be fairly accessible to new players. And it would
      be preferred it not be something that requires rules interpretations
      so I could play as well as judge (i.e. no line of sight games, etc.)
      Although me demoing the game for people during the tournament could
      also happen if there are a lot of people.

      These are the contenders assuming I can get enough people to bring
      copies.

      Sleuth – This is the default as at 11. per copy I can just buy a few.
      Ticket to Ride – Obvious choice being SdJ winner and all.
      Settlers of Catan – Another obvious choice as chances are people
      already know it.
      Puerto Rico – Possibly too long, although if a volunteer at each
      table handled setup…
      Tigris & Euphrates – Too abstract maybe?
      Tichu or Wizard - They may not attract new players being just card
      games.

      Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Particularly if you'll want to
      attend and bring a game. ;)

      -Chris

      PS: Please don't suggest Texas Hold'Em. I'm not a fan.